Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

I am referencing other posts in this forum, much like you did when you mentioned feedback of it calming down over time. Im not trying to argue a point. Just following along with the forums and trying to better my understanding of my own equipment. Again, I appreciate your input @sdynak .

Understood (y) .. I see what you mean. I thought you were referring to the manufacturers suggestion. I think it might be smoke & mirrors?.. But I don't know since I never made the switch yet myself so there may be other views.

The MFR needs to be adjusted for the 3 RPM auger which RT acknowledged.
There isn't anything anywhere to suggest a "learning" mode.
EDIT: If there was a learning mode, I would not have removed the 3 RPM auger😁
im not sure if your the only person to remove a 3rpm or not. what was your main dislikes? just curious.

@BradBQ when I was looking at pellet grills and started hearing about PID controllers I did a little research. I have ZERO background in controllers electronics but like to learn about new things. I found this video that explains how PID controllers work. From what I heard the controllers do learn to a certain extent. It’s a 12 minute video that I think is worth the watch.

@BradBQ when I was looking at pellet grills and started hearing about PID controllers I did a little research. I have ZERO background in controllers electronics but like to learn about new things. I found this video that explains how PID controllers work. From what I heard the controllers do learn to a certain extent. It’s a 12 minute video that I think is worth the watch.
The PID typically has a bias and time function. It's more of a executing a program as opposed to learning. The PID variables are hard coded.

So all the comments about the controller "adjusting" to the higher RPM motors is BS?
Sdynak, I didn't observe any "learning" of my controller when new. It controlled the temp right off and has been steady ever since.

But I did own a "memory foam" bed once. It could remember things.

Last edited:
Ok guys, this is amazing and I wished I had seen this months ago. I hate how long it takes my 590 to get upper temps. I was about to pull the trigger on the Bullseye, when I found this thread. But it’s now 35 pages and there is a lot of information here. Can someone provide me some answers to these question…

1. Has anyone done this to the 590? And did it work?
  2. I see Recteq no longer sells the 3rpm motors so is Smoke Daddy the only option?
  3. seems many are leaning towards a 2.5rpm… is that the consensus over the 3? If so, where does one buy those?
man, if I can get this 590 to heat up faster I have no need for the 380. I really didn’t want another grill!

thanks guys! Amazing thread to see this idea come to fruition. Again, I wished I saw it earlier. Would have helped with testing.

Ok guys, this is amazing and I wished I had seen this months ago. I hate how long it takes my 590 to get upper temps. I was about to pull the trigger on the Bullseye, when I found this thread. But it’s now 35 pages and there is a lot of information here. Can someone provide me some answers to these question…

1. Has anyone done this to the 590? And did it work?
  2. I see Recteq no longer sells the 3rpm motors so is Smoke Daddy the only option?
  3. seems many are leaning towards a 2.5rpm… is that the consensus over the 3? If so, where does one buy those?
man, if I can get this 590 to heat up faster I have no need for the 380. I really didn’t want another grill!

thanks guys! Amazing thread to see this idea come to fruition. Again, I wished I saw it earlier. Would have helped with testing.

I believe only 1 person has done the 2.5 so far which is very recent if you want to look through the last few pages. You can still help with testing as that was on a Bull/700.

The 2.5 can be had from Savannah Stoker but is currently sold out 2.5 RPM Auger Motor

IMHO I suggest the 2.5. I you don't do long low temp cooks, the 3.0 will be fine. Please keep us posted.
Thank you. I absolutely do a lot of low/slow. But sometimes just need a quick cook. I may just get the 3rpm now while it’s in stock, then keep an eye on the 2.5rpm stock.
If this component swap will give my 590 the boost it needs and I don’t need a 380 anymore this is a major win.
I’ll keep you guys posted. Ordering 3rpm today!

Anyone know what motor the 1250 has? Saw on Facebook that it took someone’s 1250 9 mins to hit 500 and 16 to hit 750… it takes my 700 a good +30mins to hit 400.

Had a chance to do some cooking this weekend with the 2.5 and ran it on Xtreme Smoke for about an hour with the minimum feed rate at 2.9%. Worked like a champ. Had no issues with temperature swings, it was dead on.

I have to say the 2.5 seems to be the best of both worlds. I put a link a few pages back to where the unit is actually manufactured from and they do sell to the public so if you want one, that might be a good option for you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back