Stampede Wings advice

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Has anyone boiled their wings for five or six minutes in very hot water before drying and adding rub and smoking them? I read that it begins to render the fat and enables you to get crispy skin at the end of the smoke

Time and heat are best for crispy skin and maybe a little baking powder and cornstarch mixture. Haven't had boiled wings, but have had parboiled ribs and I was not sold on them. I get crispy skin on chicken by going Extreme smoke if I want smoke flavor and or then going up to 350 for the remaining. Always crispy.

You can add a mixture of baking powder and starch to the dried skin with your rub to get a little chemical reaction going to assist with drying the skin. A tsp of both with the rub should work for ya.

Would you boil steak, brisket or anything else beforehand? Your answer is probably no, so don't do it for chicken.

If you are concerned about chicken drying out, brining is a better option, but don't brine chicken that "has a solution of" on the label, as it's been done.

Bytor (do you have a snow dog?) Already stated how to get the skin crispy.

A quick boil (or steam) is not uncommon. I don't do it, but I've heard of many that do.

I add baking powder to my rub when doing chicken skins.

Time and heat are best for crispy skin and maybe a little baking powder and cornstarch mixture. Haven't had boiled wings, but have had parboiled ribs and I was not sold on them. I get crispy skin on chicken by going Extreme smoke if I want smoke flavor and or then going up to 350 for the remaining. Always crispy.

You can add a mixture of baking powder and starch to the dried skin with your rub to get a little chemical reaction going to assist with drying the skin. A tsp of both with the rub should work for ya.
Does olive oil help with getting them crispy?

I appreciate all of your responses, thank you. I’m going to fire up the grill right now for some hot wings for lunch. I think I’ll split my wings into boiled and not boil them and see how that comes out fat wise and crispiness wise.

Anxious to see your results. I have not yet found a method that satisfies me with wings.

I want to know too. Good luck. Thanks for sharing. I love my Bullseye.

I never seem to have the soggy skin issue folks have with chicken, but will admit, I cook it to a higher temperature than some do.

coat with cornstarch and baking soda mix,place on rack in fridge and let skin dry out for a few hours,smoke at 225 till wings get to 165,turn up heat to 400 to crisp skin. Toss them in your fav sauce ! Enjoy

wings and boneless ribs

Not very proud of these. I cook them for an hour and a half at 275. Too long. And then I did crank it up but before it even hit temperature I pulled them. Those on the left are the traditional method and those on the right I par boiled for five minutes. To tell the truth there wasn’t much difference. I suspect the fact that they were over done might be a factor there. However, they were quite edible. I will try it again and hope for a better outcome.

Correction, in the photo I had my right and my left mixed up. The ones on the left were par boiled. I don’t know how to edit a post on this site yet

Attachments

• F4F6C714-559C-4F90-A529-5356D47D1400.jpeg
    F4F6C714-559C-4F90-A529-5356D47D1400.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
Correction, in the photo I had my right and my left mixed up. The ones on the left were par boiled. I don’t know how to edit a post on this site yet
Thanks for sharing? Interesting. Are you a Premium member? I think Premium allows you to edit a post but check with @Mike.

Putting raw chicken, uncovered in your fridge?! Come on….. Does your wife know about this? It’s hard to dry out wings unless you have left them on there really long time.

Folks way over complicate wings. I’ve done the starch and baking powder. If you put too much on, the wings look like crap and taste like crap/metal. I almost was about to give up on wings.

Until…….plain dry rub, naked then sauced, etc! Don’t make grilling wings so stressful! Leave the starch and baking powder to the kitchen chemists, not the grillers!

Heat and time, heat and time, heat and time! You have to finish wings with high heat. You can do 0 to 400, 0 to 425 0-450, whatever. heat is what crisps the skin up. I’ve had good luck cooking in the 425 degree range. You got to keep an eye on them, though.

Relax man, and grill your wings!

Last edited:
Has anyone boiled their wings for five or six minutes in very hot water before drying and adding rub and smoking them? I read that it begins to render the fat and enables you to get crispy skin at the end of the smoke
Boiling will likely have the opposite effect that you are looking for. For me dry brine with salt and pepper for a few hours. Then either low smoke all the way low for an hour then to higher temp. I do 400 but I think my 700 runs a bit low. Then you essentially have to over cook them to get really bite through 180-190 degrees probe temp. That’s my go to and seems to work pretty well when I plan well enough ahead to dry brine. Also I paper towel dry, S&P, then put on a rack over sheet pan for brining and further drying out in fridge. Uncovered. Bottoms shelf. It’s the moisture that impedes the crispness. Before cooking I put on whatever rub, lemon pepper in there somewhere for me. Then the cooking process.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back