Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

chadinsc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I called rec teq and asked if the faster 3rpm auger motor from the bfg would work in the 700 (2rpm) and was told that it will and that they are actually testing that motor for a future upgrade for the 700. so i ordered one and it was a simple install. my grill now heats up at near gas grill speeds, its incredible. in the pictures of the motors the bfg motor is always on the left. it has a bigger cooling fan and some parts look bigger but fits perfectly. the grill took 2 min to light and at the 21min mark hit 559 and was still climbing fast but thats as far as im pushing my grill. i will be checking to make sure it can still run at 180 soon and let you guys know. edit....for people interested in this mod that don’t want to read all of these experiments the 3 rpm motor is working good for every one that i know of and has become quite popular but you will see minimum feed rate of 15 mentioned through out these post. after more people got the motor some had problems with flame outs, myself included at 15 it seems like the minimum feedrate set to 20 is the way to go.

Attachments

• C97BFEBB-6D1F-4AD8-8983-94FE781B5C29.jpeg
    C97BFEBB-6D1F-4AD8-8983-94FE781B5C29.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,411
  • 1C429A15-628D-48B6-8337-2D1D171D1690.jpeg
    1C429A15-628D-48B6-8337-2D1D171D1690.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 577
  • 8ADF4A79-9309-4AA4-A933-67351CB907C5.png
    8ADF4A79-9309-4AA4-A933-67351CB907C5.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 527
  • 9DDBB429-AEBE-43E9-9D5D-69F0149AE2DA.png
    9DDBB429-AEBE-43E9-9D5D-69F0149AE2DA.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
I called rec teq and asked if the faster 3rpm auger motor from the bfg would work in the 700 (2rpm) and was told that it will and that they are actually testing that motor for a future upgrade for the 700. so i ordered one and it was a simple install. my grill now heats up at near gas grill speeds, its incredible. in the pictures of the motors the bfg motor is always on the left. it has a bigger cooling fan and some parts look bigger but fits perfectly. the grill took 2 min to light and at the 21min mark hit 559 and was still climbing fast but thats as far as im pushing my grill. i will be checking to make sure it can still run at 180 soon and let you guys know.
Dude, you are rapidly becoming a Dad figure here! Awesome..

im very impressed so far. i had to reduce minimum feed rate from 30 to 15 to make the grill run at 180. i ran it at 225 for a short test because that a temp i use alot and it settled in just like normal. i think it now heats up faster than a home oven. im ready to crank out some pizzas now!

Attachments

• 924503DB-5C8C-49B7-A054-B819ABF3EA9F.png
    924503DB-5C8C-49B7-A054-B819ABF3EA9F.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 203
  • F10936F1-B41F-4103-9B8B-AE6FABFD5BC6.png
    F10936F1-B41F-4103-9B8B-AE6FABFD5BC6.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 149
@chadinsc did you use the existing nut / bolt or did you use the cotter pin for the auger motor?

my grill came factory with the cotter pin. i reused all factory hardware. the motors are identical in outside dimensions. not really a mod, it was just a simple swapping of parts. make sure you have 8-10 small zip ties on hand if anyone does this. the factory wires are zip tied in a nice bundle and i re zip tied them back like they was. im so excited about this. i can now endlessly cook pizzas at 500 and have the power to quickly recover from opening the door at that high temp. and it seems to run steady at 225 for my slow cooks. if any trouble or issues show up i will post them in this thread to keep people informed.

Will it run on low ok? I do use that as well as 225. I like the thought of quicker recoveries but don't want to lose the smoke ability or have to swap motors between if I do. No issue if you are not looking to run more tests just curious. If RecTeq are considering this as some kind of upgrade I am thinking they would have some guidance on these kinds of things also. I do wonder if the 2.5 RPM as @Chris_G suggested in the other thread is a good middle ground if low is a challenge with 3 RPM.

on low (180) its currently not as stable as it was yet. but im still working on the feed rates. right now when set at 180 it will go from 175-190 but is mostly 180. i will definitely be running more test on this. and i agree the 2.5 rpm motor may just be the perfect one.

on low (180) its currently not as stable as it was yet. but im still working on the feed rates. right now when set at 180 it will go from 175-190 but is mostly 180. i will definitely be running more test on this. and i agree the 2.5 rpm motor may just be the perfect one.
I wish we could find a better price on the 2.5 RPM auger motor. The 2.5 RPM motor has been used successfully by the Trager group without complaints. The only thing that has stopped me from doing this to Frankenstein is the price. Maybe SS would give us a discount on a dozen?

Cool.. that is actually not too bad considering the changes and might be manageable. Now we just need a test pilot for the 2.5 RPM :)

I wish we could find a better price on the 2.5 RPM auger motor. The 2.5 RPM motor has been used successfully by the Trager group without complaints. The only thing that has stopped me from doing this to Frankenstein is the price. Maybe SS would give us a discount on a dozen?

Yeah.. that is holding me back as well but it is also USA made so might be worth a try.. now just need to hit the Mega M tonight and I won't have to worry about that LOL.

I would be into a group purchase and especially if we had some data on the operation

not it! for now.... im going to do a factory reset on my grill today and them reset the feed rate to 15 before starting it. im not sure if they have the ability to learn past performance and its trying to relearn now. but for me its a win. 225 is stable and she will get to sear temps of 500 from there in 12 min!

not it! for now.... im going to do a factory reset on my grill today and them reset the feed rate to 15 before starting it. im not sure if they have the ability to learn past performance and its trying to relearn now. but for me its a win. 225 is stable and she will get to sear temps of 500 from there in 12 min!
I was playing with the 680 and found starting the grill in the "Full" mode brings it up to temp in no time.

Yeah.. that is holding me back as well but it is also USA made so might be worth a try.. now just need to hit the Mega M tonight and I won't have to worry about that LOL.

I would be into a group purchase and especially if we had some data on the operation
I will email SS

im not sure what you got under the hood of Frankenstein but i will race you! lol. do you have a thread about the franken grill? i would like to see what you have done. i enjoy experimenting

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back