BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

Had a chance to do some cooking this weekend with the 2.5 and ran it on Xtreme Smoke for about an hour with the minimum feed rate at 2.9%. Worked like a champ. Had no issues with temperature swings, it was dead on.

I have to say the 2.5 seems to be the best of both worlds. I put a link a few pages back to where the unit is actually manufactured from and they do sell to the public so if you want one, that might be a good option for you.
I absolutely agree, 2.5 is the way to go!

Had a chance to do some cooking this weekend with the 2.5 and ran it on Xtreme Smoke for about an hour with the minimum feed rate at 2.9%. Worked like a champ. Had no issues with temperature swings, it was dead on.

I have to say the 2.5 seems to be the best of both worlds. I put a link a few pages back to where the unit is actually manufactured from and they do sell to the public so if you want one, that might be a good option for you.

Nice update to hear. Thanks!

Savannah Smoker is the one company that had the 2.5RPM, and they're sold out.

Obviously late to the party. I recently got a bull and did my first burn Saturday. It took a while to start climbing in temps but I attributed it to the empty auger filling up. Just read through this beast of a thread, and am surprised that this is the first time I'm hearing that the 700 is slow heat up. It's even more surprising that RT isn't more supportive of the community finding a fix to the problem. Oh well, I'll keep checking this thread and hopefully more smart people will continue to find ways to outsmart The Man!

im lucky my father inlaw is going to buy a 1250. so i will be able to get 3rpm in the future if needed from him.
At the rate things are going at RT, it wouldn't surprise me if they requested the old part be returned.

Hey all,

So reading ALL of these pages, it seems the 2.5 motor by Savannah stoker is the way to go. They are still out of stock on the 2.5 (at least now). Have they been out of stock since October? Might be a tough question to answer so I could always email them.

@Madflava - did I read your installation notes correctly in saying you switched the fan off the stock 2.0 to the 2.5? Was there anything else you had to do?

I'm in a similar boat as @sdynak though I just found this thread but I do check out this forum a couple times a week. I left facebook last December and haven't been back. The one thing I miss the most of the RecTeq fb groups. However, I am disappointed to see the negative feedback and stuff about RecTeq CS. I believe this April will be 3 years since I've had my Bull. I do also have the Bullseye which is what I mostly use now. My Bull is my smoker now but I won't mind the 2.5 motor so I could have the option to use for baking and such more often.

This is a very interesting thread though. I will say when an item is new and parts are limited, they can take parts down from the site regardless of what a CSR is saying. I had lid issues with my Bullseye and they had to take a lid off a stock Bullseye to get to me and that was after at least of month of waiting and me asking for an update. But I finally got it right with the new lid. I guess I am lucky I haven't had to call CS lately as it does sound like some things have changed with the company. But ALL my interactions with CS have been great! I had a small dent in my Bullseye hopper lid and while they offered me a replacement (new) grill, I took the grill grates and then without me asking, I showed interested in the griddle and they gave me that for free also. I've gotten my Bull cover replaced(still have the new one in a bag and plan to get a zipper installed to make it easier to get off/on), gotten new stock grates for the Bull as the weld came undone on one of the vertical shafts....needless to say, I've been super happy and never received such great customer service from anywhere else.

So anymore feedback/updates on the 2.5 motor would be appreciated!

Hey all,

So reading ALL of these pages, it seems the 2.5 motor by Savannah stoker is the way to go. They are still out of stock on the 2.5 (at least now). Have they been out of stock since October? Might be a tough question to answer so I could always email them.

@Madflava - did I read your installation notes correctly in saying you switched the fan off the stock 2.0 to the 2.5? Was there anything else you had to do?
Theirs comes with a fan. I just cut it down with a pair of scissors.

@Madflava I think the reason you had fan issues is because the motor is sitting to close to the cover. The reason, the motor shaft is drilled for a Traeger. The hole in the shaft needs to be drilled closer to the motor.

Did Trimming the fan blades cause the motor or shaft to wobble if the blades weren’t trimmed exactIy the same?

Is Madflava the only member to install the 2.5 rpm motor?

Last edited:
Did Trimming the gan blades cause the motor or shaft to wobble if the blades weren’t trimmed exactIy the same?

Is Madflava the only member to install the 2.5 rpm motor?
From what I can tell, yes.

@Madflava I think the reason you had fan issues is because the motor is sitting to close to the cover. The reason, the motor shaft is drilled for a Traeger. The hole in the shaft needs to be drilled closer to the motor.

The fan for this auger just slides off and on. You can adjust the depth. I was able to get it mostly noise free and Im sure if I opened it back up I could get rid of what little remains, but it happens so rarely, I dont think its worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back