BFG Looking for reports on BFG Round Pot (new version) Only performance on the FUL (high heat) setting

rhouser

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
Has anyone done anything with the FUL (higher than 500) setting on their "round burn pot" version BFG?

I have only done a short run burn at the full setting and chickened out at 585 degrees and returned the setting to 425. After the short trial, I called the BFG mothership and confirmed that the official position is that it will safely run/operate at 650 degrees. Sometimes, a mothership report may be a bit over optimistic.

Has anyone operated their BFG at the FUL setting. Please share anything you found.

v/r r

Quick Report:
1. With Trager Pecan pellets that had been in the hopper for 2 weeks with one week of solid rain (think 7" total rainfall) and one day of the rain uncovered: only would get to 515 degrees. I am thinking this proves that extreme humidity will dampen pellets and reduce efficiency.

2. New pellets (again Traeger Pecan). Went straight up to 629 and I ran it for about 45 minutes at this temperature before bringing it back down in stages to 325 then did a shut down.

No ill effects but I did notice the pellet hopper got hot. Not Red Hot, but hot enough that I used a glove to open the lid. When I shut down, I noticed a really bad smell from the pellets remaining in the bin. I think they off-gassed when they were heated in the hopper. Smell stayed with the pellets until I burned them. Next batch and all the smell was gone from the hopper. It was the pellets.

Observation, I can run my BFG at 625 degrees plus with Traeger Pecan. Might even be hotter with an oak or hickory pellet.
Damp Pellets (high humidity) will not achieve 600 degrees.

thanks to all.
v/r r

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back