BFG The BFG and pending rain in the Forecast

rhouser

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
I have planned a test cook for a single 18 pound Packer Brisket for tonight. I planned on a 5 PM start at 215 degrees with a 5 AM brisket at or very close to "wrapping temp". Once wrapped the plan was to bump to 250 and ride through the stall with a finish at about 11 am. This would be followed by a two hour rest and delivery to my "tasters" :) (I really do have tasters but they are unpaid volunteers.)

Issue. From midnight on there is a 20% chance of showers. ARRGH. I have no idea how the BFG will behave in the rain. I guess I will try calling the mother ship.

From the owners here, I would ask "what do you do"? I can wrap the control box with a plastic trash bag and duct tape (messy but works). I could go get a Welders Blanket and just drape it over everything except the smoke stacks. I can wrap the pellet box with plastic tarp. I can do nothing and just cross my fingers.

I hate "first time" stuff. Always easier the second time. I do have a pop up market type tent but the last time I tried that a 35 mph set of gusts showed up and blew the tent down the block. Not good.

I would reschedule but this weather with the night rain probabilities will continue through Sunday. I really need to do this test cook. I want to try a pretty drastic change to my brisket cooking method. I think it should be really good (unless it isn't).

How weather resistant are our BFG's.

v/r r

I don’t have a BFG so this may not help. I simply put a sheet pan upside down on the shelf of my 700 to keep rain off the control unit and I have one of these covering the cords. Twist and Seal Maxx (2 Pack) - Heavy Duty Outdoor Extension Cord Safety Cover Connector and Weatherproof Electrical Protector – Black https://a.co/d/cfASyI0

I let it ride. Of note I try never to do over night cooks but sometimes it is required.

@RattleR’s upside down sheet pan sounds like a good solution. I might add a brick on top just in case it gets really breezy. With just a 20% chance of showers, it sounds like you will be just fine.

Last edited:
I don’t have a BFG so this may not help. I simply put a sheet pan upside down on the shelf of my 700 to keep rain off the control unit and I have one of these covering the cords. Twist and Seal Maxx (2 Pack) - Heavy Duty Outdoor Extension Cord Safety Cover Connector and Weatherproof Electrical Protector – Black https://a.co/d/cfASyI0

I let it ride. Of note I try never to do over night cooks but sometimes it is required.
My world would change if I would/could buy a 16 rack warming box that holds 16 full size sheet pans and was rock solid on temperature management (SAFES type certification). I could then cook Briskets and Pork Butts anytime I want and hold them at 140 degrees until needed. Ahh to live in such a world.

I do overnight cooks because I generally need product by 11 AM.

Before some one brings it up, I do know about the "fast cooks" and and have done them many many time over the years. More and more, I find I do not like them. Too many moving parts.

I have always run overnight for pork butts but am now leaning that way on the briskets. I have enough sensors, probes and alarms that I am pretty comfortable with monitoring things from indoors. I also have a time that I set that wakes me every two hours for a sensor check.

RattleR, that is a Great Idea on the sheet pan. I would have to weight it down for fear of winds taking it but that's easy. I have run those "other guys" pellet grills in the rain before and unless it is a full blown storm, there is not much drama.

Thanks to all who make this forum great.

v/r r

I suspect as @Jim6820 with only a 20% chance and some weight like a brick you will be just fine. My hesitation with water and electricity and electronics is what gives me pause for cause but I have done ok so far by sealing the electrical connections and covering the controller in some pretty heavy windy and unforcasted storms. Best of luck and happy smoking!

I too don’t have a BFG, and I’m reluctant to start a cook in the rain because it’s about me getting wet. But I’m confident that I’ve done hundreds of cooks over the years where it rained at some point, and the controllers have never been affected. I’ve had grills out in the rain for weeks because it never stopped raining long enough for the grill and the cover to dry out. Also, not a problem. Your grill can take it, no problem.

No BFG but I’ve cooked in the rain many times with no issues, the only thing I do is put something over the 340’s rear vents which is not a problem for yours. I’d cover the controller as mentioned above, which can only help, and a tinfoil tent over the bucket, which I’ve also done if its going to run a lot.

No BFG but I’ve cooked in the rain many times with no issues, the only thing I do is put something over the 340’s rear vents which is not a problem for yours. I’d cover the controller as mentioned above, which can only help, and a tinfoil tent over the bucket, which I’ve also done if its going to run a lot.
Padlin, thanks. I didn't think of that and it would have been a greasy mess.
v/r r

My world would change if I would/could buy a 16 rack warming box that holds 16 full size sheet pans and was rock solid on temperature management (SAFES type certification). I could then cook Briskets and Pork Butts anytime I want and hold them at 140 degrees until needed. Ahh to live in such a world.

I do overnight cooks because I generally need product by 11 AM.

Before some one brings it up, I do know about the "fast cooks" and and have done them many many time over the years. More and more, I find I do not like them. Too many moving parts.

I have always run overnight for pork butts but am now leaning that way on the briskets. I have enough sensors, probes and alarms that I am pretty comfortable with monitoring things from indoors. I also have a timer that I set that wakes me every two hours for a sensor check.

RattleR, that is a Great Idea on the sheet pan. I would have to weight it down for fear of winds taking it but that's easy. I have run those "other guys" pellet grills in the rain before and unless it is a full blown storm, there is not much drama.

Thanks to all who make this forum great.

v/r r

Perhaps so, but I’m betting his is still bigger than yours!
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

I blew off Wednesday night because of the forecasts. This cook was to try out some changes to my basic brisket cook so time was there to push it. I started yesterday at 9 pm (the rain from the night before ended at about 7:30 pm last night.

I did a long cook format (ran at 215 degrees till the wrap and now letting it run at 275 degrees paper wrapped looking for a finish in about an hour. I did skirt the rain but was ready.

I put the sheet pan on the control box shelf and a paver block on top of that. I built foil umbrellas for the grease buckets but made sure I did not impede the air flow. I secured the plug connection with just a couple of wraps of saran wrap and then elevated it on a block on the under shelf creating a couple of drip loops.

Based on my own experience coupled with the observations here, I feel this will be a pretty good fix for most light rain events. I think I will buy a big welders blanket just for a "last ditch" if I get caught off guard. I think it would be used in conjunction with a shut down.

Thanks to all for your recommendations and assistance. This is a single brisket and is at 193 degrees now. Shouldn't be much longer.

v/r r

I don’t have the BFG but don’t underestimate the power of a well placed umbrella or tarp. They can act as a mini tent to protect you electronics. Also, you can drape a piece of plastic cover or use your wrap method on the side table to keep the wind-blown rain from hitting the display. One additional observation, unless you are cooking Wagyu, I would super smoke at 185F for 2 hours then bump the temp up to 225-235F. I’ve noticed some briskets don’t break down quickly at the lower temps which keeps the stall going forever. Just my thoughts. Good luck and enjoy your cook.

I’ve done a couple cooks with my BFG in light rain, and completely uncovered. No issues, I did ask the customer service folks from Recteq, and they said the control box is good for operating in the rain. I did see a few temp swings, but believe it was from the wind more than the rain.

I never cover anything on my 700 or 340 and it's been fine in pouring rain or -30º degree's. They have never skipped a beat.

So y'all doing these cooks in the rain, never had issues with water/moisture getting into the hopper? Like I have already mentioned, something along the lines of these, are the best solution IMHO for wet weather BBQ. Of course I do my wet conditions BBQ in the garage, but NEVER over night or when I'm not home.

https://tailgate.net/tailgate-tent/

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back