Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

I bought my 590 about 18 months ago and it would take an hour on a good day to get to 500 degrees. I installed the 3 RPM motor, changed factory setting from 65 to 20 and 15 minutes later 500 degrees.

Now I can grill and BBQ!

Greg

As my friend likes to say, there’s a lot to unpack here. Is RT doing this because of current supply issues? Is it greed? Is it because, while they’re okay with RT-700 and RT-590 owners installing the 3 rpm auger motor, they don’t want people blowing up their Bullseyes (my favorite kind of people, by the way)?

I don’t know. What I do know is that, having my Bull for less than 2 months, I’m irritated at all of this, and I wonder what would happen if enough of us expressed ourselves to customer service. You all can probably predict the outcome better than I can.
🔮 My prediction is....Nothing 🔮

Just got off the phone with RT CS & was refused while trying to order the 3 RPM auger for my Bull. I read where they were cutting us off & called to hear it for myself, ie. the excuses being made by their staff. Everyone here knows we can buy a 3 rpm auger elsewhere. As much as I like the Bull overall, reaching high temps from start-up has always been a problem & dislike, this is the likely cure & guaranteed WHY RT updated the auger in the "new 750"!!!

Rest assured that I let them know how I felt about it & that ANY & every excuse they could come up with for refusal to sell them does not absolve RT from their responsibility to at least pretend they have 700 owners best interest at heart ! This is simple greed we are seeing at it's finest IMO, they simply don't want current 700 owners to be able to apply the quick fix instead of buying the new 1250.

The CS guy claimed there were some "somewhat serious problems" arising from people who were installing the 3rpm auger attributed to the software differences between the 700 & 750 ... I called BS on the excuse and wore his ass out for it & told him to pass my feelings on to good old Ray himself about being lied to.

Just got off the phone with RT CS & was refused while trying to order the 3 RPM auger for my Bull. I read where they were cutting us off & called to hear it for myself, ie. the excuses being made by their staff. Everyone here knows we can buy a 3 rpm auger elsewhere. As much as I like the Bull overall, reaching high temps from start-up has always been a problem & dislike, this is the likely cure & guaranteed WHY RT updated the auger in the "new 750"!!!

Rest assured that I let them know how I felt about it & that ANY & every excuse they could come up with for refusal to sell them does not absolve RT from their responsibility to at least pretend they have 700 owners best interest at heart ! This is simple greed we are seeing at it's finest IMO, they simply don't want current 700 owners to be able to apply the quick fix instead of buying the new 1250.

The CS guy claimed there were some "somewhat serious problems" arising from people who were installing the 3rpm auger attributed to the software differences between the 700 & 750 ... I called BS on the excuse and wore his ass out for it & told him to pass my feelings on to good old Ray himself about being lied to.
Please understand that I'm not defending RT but a different firmware revision would be expected.

Please understand that I'm not defending RT but a different firmware revision would be expected.
I get that 100%, however, that doesn't excuse RT for refusing to sell the 3rpm auger to Bull owners that want to buy it for reaching faster high temps. That is my main dislike of the Bull, it takes way to long to reach 450 from start up. Not a good business practice & dang sure not a good show of CS loyalty to Bull owners. It's not like we're asking for them to give it to us for FREE.
I won't purposely dump on a company for no good reason & is not my intention, just calling this scenario as it is. I grill almost everyday & have quite a collection of various grills & smokers & was strongly considering the 2500 for large events ... not anymore.

I get that 100%, however, that doesn't excuse RT for refusing to sell the 3rpm auger to Bull owners that want to buy it for reaching faster high temps. That is my main dislike of the Bull, it takes way to long to reach 450 from start up. Not a good business practice & dang sure not a good show of CS loyalty to Bull owners. It's not like we're asking for them to give it to us for FREE.
I won't purposely dump on a company for no good reason & is not my intention, just calling this scenario as it is. I grill almost everyday & have quite a collection of various grills & smokers & was strongly considering the 2500 for large events ... not anymore.
Agreed👍

I called rec teq and asked if the faster 3rpm auger motor from the bfg would work in the 700 (2rpm) and was told that it will and that they are actually testing that motor for a future upgrade for the 700. so i ordered one and it was a simple install. my grill now heats up at near gas grill speeds, its incredible. in the pictures of the motors the bfg motor is always on the left. it has a bigger cooling fan and some parts look bigger but fits perfectly. the grill took 2 min to light and at the 21min mark hit 559 and was still climbing fast but thats as far as im pushing my grill. i will be checking to make sure it can still run at 180 soon and let you guys know. edit....for people interested in this mod that don’t want to read all of these experiments the 3 rpm motor is working good for every one that i know of and has become quite popular but you will see minimum feed rate of 15 mentioned through out these post. after more people got the motor some had problems with flame outs, myself included at 15 it seems like the minimum feedrate set to 20 is the way to go.
Just for curiosity sake, how much was the 3RPM auger when they were "allowing" it to be sold? Thanks

Whoa, seems I ordered the 3 rpm auger just in time.

Small hiccup while installing mine: for some reason when I was pushing the new motor into the auger (before attaching the cotter pin), the black “female” piece was pushed into the grill and disappeared.

After finding my shopvac and removal all the pellets from the hopper, pot, and auger chamber, I was able to push the auger from the firepot to the back side of the grill.

Whoa, seems I ordered the 3 rpm auger just in time.

Small hiccup while installing mine: for some reason when I was pushing the new motor into the auger (before attaching the cotter pin), the black “female” piece was pushed into the grill and disappeared.

After finding my shopvac and removal all the pellets from the hopper, pot, and auger chamber, I was able to push the auger from the firepot to the back side of the grill.
Yep same problem on my end!
Greg

Bama, did they tell you what the "somewhat serious problems" are? Seems that the folks here would have found these serious issues. I haven't read any serious issues as of yet. Have I missed something?

My hope for RT sake is that they have got into a conservative mode until things start moving easier from over seas. Supply is short on a lot of items, and they may be experiencing that. They may be drawing in so they can support warranty issues. That's my hope.

Otherwise they are blowing a good thing for themselves and the customer. Word will get out.

There are no serious issues with the 3 RPM auger motor. Many members here have done all of the beta testing. No issues with grilling at high temp which is the main reason members use it. As long as the minimal feed rate is set at 20 on the grill's processor AUG setting, you should have no issues with low & slow smoking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineGriller
Back