Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

Attachments

• 9579BB6E-A901-4218-944E-5E325D0E2C6F.jpeg
    9579BB6E-A901-4218-944E-5E325D0E2C6F.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 83
I’m may have to find out if it will work in the 590 , very interesting, nice find 👍
I put the 3rpm motor on my 590. Been using it for a month or more mainly doing chicken at 310. Its awsome for temps above 250. Tried doing some ribs last weekend set on 180. It would bounce between 240 and 260. Tried turning temp up to 225 where I have done ribs ion the past but still running 240 - 260. Had to prop the lid open to keep the temp down. Outside temp here in CA has been 100+.
I put the factory 590 motor back on and will try again during the winter when outside temps are cooler.

I put the 3rpm motor on my 590. Been using it for a month or more mainly doing chicken at 310. Its awsome for temps above 250. Tried doing some ribs last weekend set on 180. It would bounce between 240 and 260. Tried turning temp up to 225 where I have done ribs ion the past but still running 240 - 260. Had to prop the lid open to keep the temp down. Outside temp here in CA has been 100+.
I put the factory 590 motor back on and will try again during the winter when outside temps are cooler.

I have not done it my 700 yet so can't share my experience and don't have a 590 but did you set the feed rate? Might help if not.

I had similar problems with 3rpm motor in my 590 , no matter what the feed rate was set at mine would blow right past set temp , was hoping for better results, so I installed the 3 rpm motor on buddies 700 and his is smooth as silk with it , I think it’s to much for the 590 , just my opinion

Hey guys! Bought a 700 a month ago and I’m starting to get used to this thing. Did some ribs and tri tip last weekend and they turned out awesome. Only thing I wasn’t happy with was how long I had to wait for my grill to heat up to seat my tri tip on my grill grates. Got back on this forum and read all the posts about the BFG motor and ordered one. Showed up today and spent 15 minutes swapping out motors and did a little test. I’m in AZ so starting temp was 108 and it took 16 min to hit 520! This is gonna be awesome, really excited. Need to figure out what to cook this weekend lol!

Has anyone had to adjust the MFR above 2 with the 3 rpm motor? I was having flameout issues trying to run at 205 on my bull. Bumped it up to 2.5 and it’s been holding rock solid since. It’s currently 63 degrees here in ol WV, which I wouldn’t think would be too cold to really mess with things. I am trying LJ oak pellets for the first time and wonder if that isn’t the main factor here.

Has anyone had to adjust the MFR above 2 with the 3 rpm motor? I was having flameout issues trying to run at 205 on my bull. Bumped it up to 2.5 and it’s been holding rock solid since. It’s currently 63 degrees here in ol WV, which I wouldn’t think would be too cold to really mess with things. I am trying LJ oak pellets for the first time and wonder if that isn’t the main factor here.
Pellets differ which is why the MFR is adjustable. If it works, enjoy!

Chadinsc,

Thanks tons for posting. I bought my 590 about a year and half ago and overall really happy.
But the goal was to replace my Weber Genesis Grill and my Smokin-it smoker with the 590.

Right out of the box, I had problems getting the smoker to 500 degrees, tech support sent me a fan and it made no difference. Tried all kinds of brands of pellets with the same luck. Right now I would say it takes at least 45-55 minutes to reach 500 degrees so I can grill and when is windy, much longer.

I have never had any issues when using it as a smoker, looks like this may be the fix I need, I plan to give them a call tomorrow to discuss!

Thanks Greg

Installed my new 3 rpm about a week ago or so and finally got the chance to give it a test run.
Set aug to 20 and took 15min to get to 400*
and cranked it to full after that and took about another 3min to get to 500 and then hit 600* in another 5min before i cooled her down. So from 105 to 600 in roughly 23min on a decent 80* day.
Definitely a tremendous improvement over the regular motor.

Just ordered a 3 RPM today. Those of you who have had it installed for a while do you find you have to reduce MFR to 15 when set to LO? Or like ive seen mentioned earlier have you found that it learns with use and can set to LO and stay around 180 with a 20 MFR? Obviously ambient and pellet brand have an effect, but from a high level what have you found?

Just ordered a 3 RPM today. Those of you who have had it installed for a while do you find you have to reduce MFR to 15 when set to LO? Or like ive seen mentioned earlier have you found that it learns with use and can set to LO and stay around 180 with a 20 MFR? Obviously ambient and pellet brand have an effect, but from a high level what have you found?
20 seems like the best setting. it will hold 180 no problem. but it could struggle on a hot day in the sun. but i suppose the stock auger might also in that situation. you won’t be disappointed

MFR of 20 has worked perfectly so far, even on a 96 degree day. I’ll update here if that ever changes.

it works fine for me also at 95 but my grill is in the shade. if a grill was in the sun on a 95 degree day i bet the inside would already be 130-140 so it would take a very small flame to hold 180 in that situation. im just not sure if it would work under those conditions stock or with 3rpm

it works fine for me also at 95 but my grill is in the shade. if a grill was in the sun on a 95 degree day i bet the inside would already be 130-140 so it would take a very small flame to hold 180 in that situation. im just not sure if it would work under those conditions stock or with 3rpm
Spot on. I played that game once or twice on the rare days when it was that hot in my town. Keeping below 200 was not easy. I was near 130 in the barrel before I lit the flame. That was with a 2rpm motor and partial shade.

With the 3 RPM motor MFR set at 20, my Bull will run at 184 degrees on LO with ambient temp of 90 degrees in full sun without flameouts. I usually would do a low & slow smoke at 225 degrees so it's not an issue.

Did this today. 79 Deg ambient to 400 in 15 minutes! It also seems to hold low at 180 with feed set to 15.
The shaft on my motor from Recteq only had one hold but it was in the correct place. No trouble ordering it online.

So, if I was interested in going to the 3 rpm auger:
  1. Is there a new controller it works better with?
  2. will it hold 180F? with thoe old controller?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back