Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

Less than 15 minutes to install and then set feed rate to 20 and ~90 to 400 in ~13 minutes...Awesome! Love the upgrade!

if im understanding your situation right. you are having a flameout and the temps are dropping and the grill noticed that and feeds pellets to try to bring the temp back up and once it drops low enough it will attempt to reignite. which is when you get that giant ball of smoke. and it can actually cause a small explosion but just blow the lid open and get your attention not like a bomb that blows the deck off. i would recommend you raise he feed rate to 2.0 and run it. see how that does for you. i wouldn’t recommend going lower than 2.0 anymore because i have had a flameout at 1.5 and had a similar situation to yours.
So, I'm at 2.0 feed rate and still experiencing flamouts.Here is a view of the temperature chart and the re ignition of pellets. Any further thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 2AB3330D-4D8C-4E2B-B8CB-6F2EA6F6E788_1_102_o.jpeg
    2AB3330D-4D8C-4E2B-B8CB-6F2EA6F6E788_1_102_o.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 963ED43D-ABA0-4808-8D9E-2E4867408BBA.jpeg
    963ED43D-ABA0-4808-8D9E-2E4867408BBA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
So, I'm at 2.0 feed rate and still experiencing flamouts.Here is a view of the temperature chart and the re ignition of pellets. Any further thoughts on this?
that definitely looks like a flameout. only suggestion i have is maybe try 25 with those pellets and make sure the fire pot is cleaned every 20hrs or so. wish i was more helpful bud

that definitely looks like a flameout. only suggestion i have is maybe try 25 with those pellets and make sure the fire pot is cleaned every 20hrs or so. wish i was more helpful bud
I vacuum my firepot out before each use.

Did first cook tonight, chicken on the grill grates at 400, noticed considerable overshoot with feed rate at 20, up to 425 after opening lid to flip. Does the PID learn and correct overtime or just part of new auger?

Did first cook tonight, chicken on the grill grates at 400, noticed considerable overshoot with feed rate at 20, up to 425 after opening lid to flip. Does the PID learn and correct overtime or just part of new auger?
No, try MFR of 15 or 1.5%
1.5 to 2.0 seems to be the sweet spot for the majority of us.

Y’all know I have 5 recteq grills, an Icer. cooler, and I really like the front line recteq folks. But I really think pulling the RT-2500 auger from the available parts page was a pretty chicken s#*t thing to do. The 2 RPM augers are still available for order for the rest of the grills. This was clearly done because of the folks here that purchased (a lot) of these augers and experiment with them in their RT-700. Heck, I’d say the research done here helped recteq decide on the 3 RPM auger for the RT-1250. Not cool recteq, not cool at all.

Y’all know I have 5 recteq grills, an Icer. cooler, and I really like the front line recteq folks. But I really think pulling the RT-2500 auger from the available parts page was a pretty chicken s#*t thing to do. The 2 RPM augers are still available for order for the rest of the grills. This was clearly done because of the folks here that purchased (a lot) of these augers and experiment with them in their RT-700. Heck, I’d say the research done here helped recteq decide on the 3 RPM auger for the RT-1250. Not cool recteq, not cool at all.
i completely agree. i guarantee this was there biggest (test) run. they had to be keeping an eye on this for problems

I never felt the urgency to get one from RecTeq as they are available and even options for US made so if I ever decide to I could get one or even the 2.5 RPM which might be even a better test. RecTeq are slowly losing my support by their greed. I will not recommend them to friends or family any longer. I still enjoy it but just won't support a company with their practices. It really started with the controller and I should have opened my eyes then.

I never felt the urgency to get one from RecTeq as they are available and even options for US made so if I ever decide to I could get one or even the 2.5 RPM which might be even a better test. RecTeq are slowly losing my support by their greed. I will not recommend them to friends or family any longer. I still enjoy it but just won't support a company with their practices. It really started with the controller and I should have opened my eyes then.
I agree that the 2.5 would be a better solution. Apparently this forum was used to beta test 3 rpm motors and design the cover deflector.
Welcome to the new RT.
BTW, this is Traeger Deja vu

Last edited:
I called them about my 340 temp spiking and they saw where I had purchased the 3 rpm motor. They then started accusing me of putting the 3rpm motor in the 340. Its still in the cabinet awaiting install in the 700.

I called them about my 340 temp spiking and they saw where I had purchased the 3 rpm motor. They then started accusing me of putting the 3rpm motor in the 340. Its still in the cabinet awaiting install in the 700.
No surprise there.
Next we will have folks asking for BFG serial numbers so the auger motor can be ordered. Oh wait, that's the controller, wrong thread.

As my friend likes to say, there’s a lot to unpack here. Is RT doing this because of current supply issues? Is it greed? Is it because, while they’re okay with RT-700 and RT-590 owners installing the 3 rpm auger motor, they don’t want people blowing up their Bullseyes (my favorite kind of people, by the way)?

I don’t know. What I do know is that, having my Bull for less than 2 months, I’m irritated at all of this, and I wonder what would happen if enough of us expressed ourselves to customer service. You all can probably predict the outcome better than I can.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back