Vacuum the Ash only once a year?

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I was recently scrolling through Recteq's videos on YouTube and came across their grill maintenance video. Recteq recommends only removing the ash from the grill around once a year. They claim the ash helps prevent flare-ups (specifically on the bullseye), provides insulation and surface area to help heat the grill quicker, and helps keep the amount of ash flying around during the cook down. Does anyone only vacuum their ash once a year, or do most clean it more often?

I was recently scrolling through Recteq's videos on YouTube and came across their grill maintenance video. Recteq recommends only removing the ash from the grill around once a year. They claim the ash helps prevent flare-ups (specifically on the bullseye), provides insulation and surface area to help heat the grill quicker, and helps keep the amount of ash flying around during the cook down. Does anyone only vacuum their ash once a year, or do most clean it more often?

I don't have a Bullseye, have a Bull, but I clean mine every 1-2 cooks. I have an unscientific, subjective opinion that doing so improved the flavor profile of my cooks -- less resin/creosote type flavor.

i clean the firepot every time i refoil the drip pan and clean the ash when it starts falling back in the burn pot still got an inch to go!
DF1E6864-26E6-4723-B22C-2EBEEC2AA351.jpeg

The fire pot gets it roughly every 3rd cook, while I’ve taken it apart enough to do that and already have the vac out, I do the rest. I should probably skip vacuuming the rest for the winter just for the insulation value.

CS told me most people clean the ash from their smokers too much. He told me his personal smoker hasn't been cleaned in over 6 months. What I've found is the Recteq makes far less ash than my Traeger did. That thing needed vacuuming every cook. Same pellets produce far less ash in the Recteq. Plus, I hated the fact I had ash all over my food in the Traeger, not in the Recteq. I've probably have more than a dozen cooks on mine now. All I do is replace the foil on drip tray & that's it. I love this smoker!

Reading these responses, I can grasp why some may want to leave the ash in but for 1x or 2x a year. My thing is - although the ash may act as an insulator, it's surely also a wick for moisture. Yes, I know these are stainless smokers, but not all parts are, and why facilitate a condition to wick moisture into them? I vacuum mine out every 3-4 cooks. I don't like the ash flying around and peppering my food. Just my 2 cents worth........

I don't have a Bullseye, have a Bull, but I clean mine every 1-2 cooks. I have an unscientific, subjective opinion that doing so improved the flavor profile of my cooks -- less resin/creosote type flavor.
I haven't noticed any flavor change yet. I'll have to test it next cook.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back