Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

I just installed the 3rpm and then tried to run a test at 225. The newer controllers won't let you set the FR lower than 3. I guess I should have checked before installing the 3rpm auger. So far it's holding nicely at 225. I will have to keep testing at lower temps to see if it can get that low.

I just installed the 3rpm and then tried to run a test at 225. The newer controllers won't let you set the FR lower than 3. I guess I should have checked before installing the 3rpm auger. So far it's holding nicely at 225. I will have to keep testing at lower temps to see if it can get that low.
1) Pic of controller?

2) Are you trying to adjust at grill or phone?

Last edited:
I thought i had read that the newer controllers will let it go lower, but older ones will not?

I’ve had mine in for about a month now. For higher temps, it works very well. I do get the occasional temperature oscillation at high temps. I get intermittent 10 - 15 degree oscillations at low temps (225). I have lowered the min feed rate to 5 and this is still happening. I also get occasional pellets overflowing the fire pot. When this happens and they ignite, an amazing amount of smoke is generated. Not sure how i can further dial this in.

Attachments

• 2E7BC369-B6F9-487C-B67F-A510436F6690.jpeg
    2E7BC369-B6F9-487C-B67F-A510436F6690.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
I’ve had mine in for about a month now. For higher temps, it works very well. I do get the occasional temperature oscillation at high temps. I get intermittent 10 - 15 degree oscillations at low temps (225). I have lowered the min feed rate to 5 and this is still happening. I also get occasional pellets overflowing the fire pot. When this happens and they ignite, an amazing amount of smoke is generated. Not sure how i can further dial this in.
Most MFR has been 1.5% to 2.0%

if im understanding your situation right. you are having a flameout and the temps are dropping and the grill noticed that and feeds pellets to try to bring the temp back up and once it drops low enough it will attempt to reignite. which is when you get that giant ball of smoke. and it can actually cause a small explosion but just blow the lid open and get your attention not like a bomb that blows the deck off. i would recommend you raise he feed rate to 2.0 and run it. see how that does for you. i wouldn’t recommend going lower than 2.0 anymore because i have had a flameout at 1.5 and had a similar situation to yours.

1) Pic of controller?

2) Are you trying to adjust at grill or phone?
On my phone. Called customer support as well to ask about lowering the feed rate and they told me it wouldn't go below 3. If anyone would be so kind to tell me how to change at grill it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20210720_172604957_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210720_172604957_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
I absolutely would NOT go back to the 2 RPM Auger Motor. The minimal feed rate of 20 is about perfect. My Bull will run at 200 degrees on a hot day without flaming out or spilling pellets & will go from start to 450 degrees in about 13-14 minutes. However, it will "overshoot" during a cook when trying to get back to temp after opening the lid for too long. This is easily handled by turning the temp down TEMPORARILY to about 25 degrees below your intended set temp, usually for only a minute or two.

Go into settings mode on the controller to AUG & set it to 20.

if im understanding your situation right. you are having a flameout and the temps are dropping and the grill noticed that and feeds pellets to try to bring the temp back up and once it drops low enough it will attempt to reignite. which is when you get that giant ball of smoke. and it can actually cause a small explosion but just blow the lid open and get your attention not like a bomb that blows the deck off. i would recommend you raise he feed rate to 2.0 and run it. see how that does for you. i wouldn’t recommend going lower than 2.0 anymore because i have had a flameout at 1.5 and had a similar situation to yours.
Thanks a bunch! I will try 20 again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back