Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

So tonight's cook was at 400*, had issues with it peaking over 400* as high as 431* until I kicked down the temp to 385 then back up to 400. See attached. Does anyone know if the PID has to readjust the algorithm that it uses due to the change?

Attachments

• 2021-06-17 22.28.12.jpg
    2021-06-17 22.28.12.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 81
Sure doesn't look good. Only setting is MFR

Try setting min feed rate (MFR) to 2.0%
Take a look for really long pellets that are getting stuck
Change pellets

So tonight's cook was at 400*, had issues with it peaking over 400* as high as 431* until I kicked down the temp to 385 then back up to 400. See attached. Does anyone know if the PID has to readjust the algorithm that it uses due to the change?
it seems like the grill takes a few cooks after installing the 3 rpm auger motor to settle in. it may learn from previous cooks? what was your feed rate set at? i would recommend you try 15 but if that gives you a flame out 20 is fine also. 15 will allow it to drop from an overshoot easier and faster if it works for you if not go with 20. also i noticed once you hit 400 you had a pretty big temp drop, probably from opening the lid. the faster you can get the lid closed the better off you are because once the grill notices the temp falling it will feed pellets faster to overcome that loss of temp and that will cause an overshoot every time if the lid is open long. if you know you will have the lid open for a min or more i would recommend you drop the temp to say 350 if target is 400 just before you open the lid to keep it from ramping up the motor as hard and them when you close the lid turn it back to your desired temp so that it doesn’t overshoot.

Great to hear that, thanks!
I grilled sausages yesterday at 400 degrees. The bull heats up fast. I opened it up for about five minutes as I flipped the sausages and when I closed it, the temp had dropped to about 270. In a few minutes it had risen to 445 even though my temp was set at 400.
My thought is that while I had the lid open, the auger was cranking and when I closed the lid it now had additional fuel to burn off. It wasn’t a super big deal but I wanted to ask if there were any suggestions to avoid overshooting the temp line that.
I thought of turning down the temp while the lid was open and then cranking it back up when closed. Would this be my best bet?

I grilled sausages yesterday at 400 degrees. The bull heats up fast. I opened it up for about five minutes as I flipped the sausages and when I closed it, the temp had dropped to about 270. In a few minutes it had risen to 445 even though my temp was set at 400.
My thought is that while I had the lid open, the auger was cranking and when I closed the lid it now had additional fuel to burn off. It wasn’t a super big deal but I wanted to ask if there were any suggestions to avoid overshooting the temp line that.
I thought of turning down the temp while the lid was open and then cranking it back up when closed. Would this be my best bet?
Yup. The post above yours says just what you were thinking. Great minds and all that.

i bet they are watching this atleast every few days to see what we think and if we are having issues. they will probably make the change. but if you think you can build a better grill please do. seriously competition is a great thing, makes every one better. i got some ideas on how to make the perfect grill. recteq is pretty close though
The perfect grill to me is the PG1000 but with more surface area. There was a Yoder guy who converted his Yoder into a pg500 clone.

So what is the consensus, is MFR set to 2 the best for the 3 RPM motor, I have the new motor but haven't installed it yet. Thanks.

The minimum feed rate of 20 is perfect. I'm doing a 2 hr, 200 degree burn to season my new griddle with full sun on the grill & a ambient temp of 90 degrees on my deck. the blower is cycling on & off but maintaining a steady temp without flame out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 4.52.49 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 4.52.49 PM.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 78
I did the mod several weeks ago. The grill would heat up lighting fast. However, I could not maintain a low temp. Went to adjust the the feed rate. I have an older controller that wont go below 30. The grill would also go easily over 600 degrees.
Just for gits and shiggles, I called tech support. I told them I did the BFG mod (the rep was aware of it) wand what was happening. I fully expecting them to say you made a mod, we can not help you. Boy was a surprised. They are sending me a new controller and told me to set the feed rate at 15/20 depending on how the grill reacts. My bull is still under warranty, not sure if that made a difference, but still color me impressed yet again.
Kudos again to Rectec,

I did the mod several weeks ago. The grill would heat up lighting fast. However, I could not maintain a low temp. Went to adjust the the feed rate. I have an older controller that wont go below 30. The grill would also go easily over 600 degrees.
Just for gits and shiggles, I called tech support. I told them I did the BFG mod (the rep was aware of it) wand what was happening. I fully expecting them to say you made a mod, we can not help you. Boy was a surprised. They are sending me a new controller and told me to set the feed rate at 15/20 depending on how the grill reacts. My bull is still under warranty, not sure if that made a difference, but still color me impressed yet again.
Kudos again to Rectec,
wow that’s awesome and unexpected! just curious any idea how high the older controller will allow it to go? if you haven’t pushed it yet dont do for me. just curious.

Those who have replaced the auger motor on the 700: did you re-use the bolt/nut from the 700 or did you used the cotter pin like the 2500 setup?

Those who have replaced the auger motor on the 700: did you re-use the bolt/nut from the 700 or did you used the cotter pin like the 2500 setup?
The newer 700's use the cotter pin so for me it was easy peasy. So I would use the cotter pin.

I got mine for xmas in 2018. It has a cotter pin. Make sure you cover the other side if you are pushing it out with force. It likes to fly away. Ask me how I know. The first time I tried to get that pin out was a PIA. I would leave the nut and bolt. I almost had to switch if I didn't find the pin when it went sailing....

As to the max temp, I shut it down at a little north of 650. I was concerned for the innards getting fried.
With the old auger, I could easily reach 550 if I waited a while.

Since I have a couple low and slows to do today, I put the old one back in. Gonna use the BGE for the burgers and dogs...

Update:
I installed the 3 RPM auger back in. I also installed the new controller board RT sent me. I set the feed rate to 2 as per the support team. I was able to hold 250 for over 2 hours. I shut is down and let it cool. I then set it to 350 and hit temp and about 15 min. Later in the weekend I did a low and slow steak at 250, then cracked it up to full to reverse sear. The bull went from 250 to 620 in less than 20 mins.... It used to take 45 to get to 550.
I am satisfied with the bull and RT support!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back