Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

having the grill set to 30 will not force it to heat up faster. those numbers are only to limit the minimum feed. im not sure what all can cause a grill to heat up slower. but i know foiling the drip pan and allowing extra foil to go over the edges on the front and rear can limit air flow causing slower heating. also a really dirty firepot can limit airflow to the pellets and lower the burn temperatures. and of course the dryer your pellets the hotter they will burn.
So I tried back at 30… big mistake. Turned it all back down and back at 15. Have set to 375
For some wings, but every 5 min or so I have to go lift lid because temp keep going up. After I’m done with this cook I’m going to let it all cook off for the night and will turn back on tomorrow and see what happens. Also I was very careful with foil and this is only second cook so I doubt dirty pot but will check when it all cools down.

Attachments

• 4C79D080-CF9C-403E-A067-31F66E6927C5.jpeg
    4C79D080-CF9C-403E-A067-31F66E6927C5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
It was me that ordered the BFG auger only to be sent another 2rpm auger. The new 3rpm is a beast and works like a charm. I’m reverse searing a couple filets tonight and I set the grill at 225 I initially and then went to 215 to avoid the overshoot. It did not like the 215 as the fan continually cycled on and off so I went back to 225 and it held like a champ and had no issues for the last hour.

So I tried back at 30… big mistake. Turned it all back down and back at 15. Have set to 375
For some wings, but every 5 min or so I have to go lift lid because temp keep going up. After I’m done with this cook I’m going to let it all cook off for the night and will turn back on tomorrow and see what happens. Also I was very careful with foil and this is only second cook so I doubt dirty pot but will check when it all cools down.
Seems to have evened out now. Even turned up to 425 to throw a frozen pizza on for kids. Pan might be ruined but we will see. Wings will go back on a few after tossing in sauce to get some grill marks. Still planning to test 0-500 tomrrow again at 15 setting for auger. Only my second Cook overall but still loving the recteq lifestyle!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
Seems to have evened out now. Even turned up to 425 to throw a frozen pizza on for kids. Pan might be ruined but we will see. Wings will go back on a few after tossing in sauce to get some grill marks. Still planning to test 0-500 tomrrow again at 15 setting for auger. Only my second Cook overall but still loving the recteq lifestyle!
Tell you what, I’ve been eyeing grill grates for a while but when I got the 700 I finally got some. Very nice char very fast.

Attachments

• 881ADF77-AFF1-4E4E-B7C9-60DA4DAEAB51.jpeg
    881ADF77-AFF1-4E4E-B7C9-60DA4DAEAB51.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
@nelsonjstn it sometimes takes a new grill a few cooks for the controller to really settle in. Sounds like you changed the motor to the 3rpm after your first cook. I wouldn’t fiddle with the settings too much (other than the 15 setting) until you have three or four cooks to give the controller time to get everything figured out.

i agree with waterboy, after i changed to my 3rpm it was alittle unstable at low temperatures but after a few uses it has gotten very stable like a stock grill

It sounds like the RTD is too close to the wall. That was a problem I had initially and I angled it away from the wall as directed by customer support and that helped tremendously.

It sounds like the RTD is too close to the wall. That was a problem I had initially and I angled it away from the wall as directed by customer support and that helped tremendously.
I’ll check it out, but it doesn’t look close to wall to me.

Yea it’s 3rpm. I turned it all off, will set back to 30 and turn back and see how long it takes to get to 500. I’m thinking maybe I’m supposed to only turn down to 15/20 for low cooks and keep at 30 to grill?
Is your grill clean? Got a lot of ash/debris in there it'll take a while to hit temp regardless of motor.

Cleaned both my Bull and Bullseye today.

Ok so I think I had a flame out , feed rate was set at 15 , about 4 hours into cook temp shot way up then dropped , I turned up feed rate to 30 and it would not heat up , shut it down and finished my ribs in oven , after grill cooled down I took everything out and the fire pot was overflowing with pellets , set feed rate at 25 and did some testing , held good at low and high temps , it was also very hot and humid today and my smoker was in full sun , hoping it was just a fluke 🤞🏻

My bull would not hold 400 with the stock Auger. Swapped out to the 3RPM and now it heats in less than half the time and holds temp perfectly.

I'm too lazy to go back and re-read 19 pages of replies, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Today I decided to clean my GrillGrates, grill racks and vacuum out the firepot. And by the way, thanks to this tread:
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/wash-bin-for-stainless-grates.3825/
and @OceanSailor
I picked up the recommended drywall mud pan and some PBW. That stuff works great!
But, back to my question... when removing my grates I noticed some black flakes on my drip pan. After removing the drip pan I saw my heat deflector was warped, and after removing the deflector I saw where the flakes came from. All those flakes were coming off the sides of the fire box. I'm sure all this occurred the other day when I seared those steaks after installing the 3 RPM motor and pushed the temp up near 500. First time I have ever went that high. The flakes are no big deal to me other than I can't believe RecTeq would paint the thing and not use the proper heat resistant paint. Better to leave it unpainted as to getting burnt paint flakes in your food! The question I have is if anyone else is having their heat deflector warp? I guess I will just use this as an excuse to get a Smoke Daddy. Although Recteq should cough up some of that cost or send me a new one (that would probably just warp again).

Just about everyone has a warped heat deflector. It doesn't seem to affect anything negatively.

I see the black flakes occasionally in all my smokers. It's not paint. It's the flaking off of a build up of resins from the wood smoke (from pellets or wood chips/chunks/sticks). The resin builds up on the inside surfaces of the smoker, then when you do a hotter cook, it can dry and flake off. Use a wire brush or wadded up foil, etc., to scrub the flaky areas of your drum.

69363CC9-25C2-4EB3-AF12-FE441925B517.png

So this morning I wanted to test out and just let it do it’s thing. Temp overshot a lot after initially reaching 500 (I opened lid to clean grates when hot so that is part to blame). Temp shot up after and took a quite awhile to come back down to set point. I’m going to chalk it up the stronger auger and not letting it calibrate itself before first use. So I let it run for 60 minutes total then tuned it off. Will remove everything when it cools and clean up and then fire up again this evening and see what happens. This evening I’m thinking some reverse sear steaks but we will see what the wife wants.

its possible your pellets are not as dry as they can be. i seen pellets at lowes being store outside garden in the rain! crazy. if your having flameouts at 15 i would recommend you try 20. the lower you can run it the faster it will recover from overshooting. also i would recommend not trying to help the grill drop temp by opening the lid because it will realize the temps are dropping faster than it expected and begin to feed pellets faster to keep from dropping to low. but i do feel like the grill learns from its previous cooks because it took mine time to get really settled in. mine now runs 180 just fine and can hit 600 if i want but o don’t really see a need to go above 500 personally.

its possible your pellets are not as dry as they can be. i seen pellets at lowes being store outside garden in the rain! crazy. if your having flameouts at 15 i would recommend you try 20. the lower you can run it the faster it will recover from overshooting. also i would recommend not trying to help the grill drop temp by opening the lid because it will realize the temps are dropping faster than it expected and begin to feed pellets faster to keep from dropping to low. but i do feel like the grill learns from its previous cooks because it took mine time to get really settled in. mine now runs 180 just fine and can hit 600 if i want but o don’t really see a need to go above 500
View attachment 10982
So this morning I wanted to test out and just let it do it’s thing. Temp overshot a lot after initially reaching 500 (I opened lid to clean grates when hot so that is part to blame). Temp shot up after and took a quite awhile to come back down to set point. I’m going to chalk it up the stronger auger and not letting it calibrate itself before first use. So I let it run for 60 minutes total then tuned it off. Will remove everything when it cools and clean up and then fire up again this evening and see what happens. This evening I’m thinking some reverse sear steaks but we will see what the wife wants.
Did some reverse sear steaks
Tonight. 3rpm Auger worked fine tonight

Attachments

• 04D60A2A-D95D-4E01-B6E8-C0BEDE8DF6D5.png
    04D60A2A-D95D-4E01-B6E8-C0BEDE8DF6D5.png
    258.3 KB · Views: 89
  • D5CACC12-5964-456E-A5F7-4433B62989CC.jpeg
    D5CACC12-5964-456E-A5F7-4433B62989CC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 106
500 in 15! thats fast. glad its working for you. i predict this will become the stock motor for atleast the 700 soon. maybe even the 590. but maybe not seeing how some people have decided not to buy a bullseye after getting the 3rpm?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back