Vacuum the Ash only once a year?

I clean the fire pot out every 5 or 6 cooks and vacuum the barrel 2 or 3 times a year.
I do about the same on my bullseye but haven't vacuumed the ash on my 590 yet and I've owned it for about almost a year. I cook year round so I'll probably clean it in a few months.

CS told me most people clean the ash from their smokers too much. He told me his personal smoker hasn't been cleaned in over 6 months. What I've found is the Recteq makes far less ash than my Traeger did. That thing needed vacuuming every cook. Same pellets produce far less ash in the Recteq. Plus, I hated the fact I had ash all over my food in the Traeger, not in the Recteq. I've probably have more than a dozen cooks on mine now. All I do is replace the foil on drip tray & that's it. I love this smoker!
I love my stampede as well. I'm thinking about adding a 1250 with comp cart due to the 15% sale.

Reading these responses, I can grasp why some may want to leave the ash in but for 1x or 2x a year. My thing is - although the ash may act as an insulator, it's surely also a wick for moisture. Yes, I know these are stainless smokers, but not all parts are, and why facilitate a condition to wick moisture into them? I vacuum mine out every 3-4 cooks. I don't like the ash flying around and peppering my food. Just my 2 cents worth........
Good point about the moisture. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

I was recently scrolling through Recteq's videos on YouTube and came across their grill maintenance video. Recteq recommends only removing the ash from the grill around once a year. They claim the ash helps prevent flare-ups (specifically on the bullseye), provides insulation and surface area to help heat the grill quicker, and helps keep the amount of ash flying around during the cook down. Does anyone only vacuum their ash once a year, or do most clean it more often?

I have a 590 and I clean every other cook.

I have a bullseye and vacuumed the fire pot after my 3rd cook. After another 10 cooks looked are the fire pot and it was the same as it looked before I cleaned it after my third cook. The ash seemed not to change. Now after 40 cooks, no change in the amount of ash. I use bear mountain exclusively, and that may have some effect on my ash build-up.
If enough of the more experienced grillers in this site post otherwise, I'll clean annually. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The ash has to be in there and keeps building, otherwise it's just blowing all around your grill and getting on the food........clean those ash pots out folks!!! A fireplace or a wood burning stove has to be cleaned out regularly, what's the difference with our grills that also burn wood?

Had my Stampede a little less than a year now. I clean the pot every 2-4 cooks, re-foil and brush the grates. I have yet to remove any ash. Going to have to soon because it’s getting pretty deep. I’ll probably just scoop it out, leaving a nice base. Best of luck.

I leave foil on all the time. Even when I do burgers at Full setting. I have a 590 and the large foil rolls from Sams club are perfect size for the 590 drip pan.

I clean the ash about once a year on my 590. I don't use the grill a ton maybe once or twice a month.

I vacuum my 570 maybe twice or three times a year. I think the ash layer adds some insulation to the bottom of the barrel. I also put six fire bricks along the bottom which seems to help even out the heat across the grate and cut down on pellet consumption.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back