Show us what you're cooking...

Since this is a forum about grilling, figured having a thread to show of what we are or about to be cooking is in order. ;)

For this labor day weekend, I'll be doing a reverse sear on these four ribeye steaks using my Rec Tec Bull pellet grill this Saturday.

View attachment 67

I'm still thinking about doing a brisket, maybe on Monday using the method @Xicanoink pointed out in his introduction thread.
Nice white fat on those ribeyes give the indication they’re very fresh…well-raised. I hope they taste as good as they look, 😋

I did a baby 4.5 lb pastrami last night using the Snake River Farms corned beef round from Costco. Soaked in clean water for a day, then rubbed with POG (no salt) plus paprika and crushed coriander and mustard seeds. Smoked at 225 until the stall, wrapped, and finished at 275. Total cook time for this tiny piece of meat was still almost 13 hours. Stlll quite happy with the results (other than my bonehead first cut WITH the grain!). Grilled Reubens tonight!

View attachment 19409

View attachment 19410
I know this post is a few months old, @Pacman, but I wonder if you could help with specific ingredient quantities in your pastrami rub recipe? I've got a couple of SRF corned beef rounds in the freezer that I need to use up and I'd like to give the pastrami thing a try. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Do you by chance have a meat slicer/slice it before freezing ? I would guess that most meats would dry out when sliced/froze. OTOH, maybe not.

I don't have a slicer, but have considered getting one. I've made a number of batches of pork belly bacon. It's come out quite good and that would be partial justification for buying a slicer. But, having to hand slice bacon means the slices will be thicker............
I do have a slicer and I really like it. On sale for now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TSDQB33/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Meat Church:
My favorite thing to use my RT for.

pas.jpg

I know this post is a few months old, @Pacman, but I wonder if you could help with specific ingredient quantities in your pastrami rub recipe? I've got a couple of SRF corned beef rounds in the freezer that I need to use up and I'd like to give the pastrami thing a try. Thanks for any help you can provide.
@Jim6820 I've used this pastrami rub from amazingribs with great success
Screenshot_20230823-201932.jpg

Wings and tots for lunch yesterday. I usually watch the carbs, but just craved some tater tots this time.

wings.jpg

Just put a 6# boneless leg of lamb on the Trailblazer.

IMG_2396.jpeg

Earlier this morning, I seasoned it with my own fresh Rosemary/fresh Thyme/minced Garlic/Poultry Seasoning and Olive Oil paste plus sprinkled on kosher salt and course-ground black pepper.

I removed the packaging mesh, seasoned all surfaces and then tied it back up with kitchen string. In addition to allowing the seasoning of all surfaces, removing the mesh before cooking makes life a lot simpler at the end of the cook. I detest removing the mesh after cooking; it makes such a mess. Snipping 3-4 pieces of string is so much simpler and cleaner.

The Trailblazer was preheated to 200F and the first two hours of the cook will be at that temperature. Later, I will raise the tamp to 250-275F for the finish. I’ve found that a 6# boneless L-o-L takes about four hours to cook at those temps.

I will pull the protein at 135F internal temp and let it rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. That lets the juices reabsorb and the IT to coast up to about 143F; a nice medium rare that we prefer for our lamb.

My Sous chef is currently preparing a shredded potato and cheese casserole, and peach cobbler to accompany fresh sweet corn as the side dishes and dessert. Our daughter and SIL will be joining us for dinner. Tonight, we will eat well!

Last edited:
Just put a 6# boneless leg of lamb on the Trailblazer.

View attachment 19930

Earlier this morning, I seasoned it with my own fresh Rosemary/fresh Thyme/minced Garlic/Poultry Seasoning and Olive Oil paste plus sprinkled on kosher salt and course-ground black pepper.

I removed the packaging mesh, seasoned all surfaces and then tied it back up with kitchen string. In addition to allowing the seasoning of all surfaces, removing the mesh before cooking makes life a lot simpler at the end of the cook. I detest removing the mesh after cooking; it makes such a mess. Snipping 3-4 pieces of string is so much simpler and cleaner.

The Trailblazer was preheated to 200F and the first two hours of the cook will be at that temperature. Later, I will raise the tamp to 250-275F for the finish. I’ve found that a 6# boneless L-o-L takes about four hours to cook at those temps.

I will pull the protein at 135F internal temp and let it rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. That lets the juices reabsorb and the IT to coast up to about 143F; a nice medium rare that we prefer for our lamb.

My Sous chef is currently preparing a shredded potato and cheese casserole, and peach cobbler to accompany fresh sweet corn as the side dishes and dessert. Our daughter and SIL will be joining us for dinner. Tonight, we will eat well!
It turned out great! Nice smoke and medium rare just like we prefer it.
Cook time was four hours; two at 200F and the final two at 265F.

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2406.jpeg

And, the piece de resistance; peach cobbler!

IMG_2398.jpeg

Last edited:
Time to wrap! I started this brisket last night and it looks fantastic. A couple of notes, no I don’t need nor normally use three probes, but I did want to test them against one another in a long cook. Second note, I intentionally aggressively trimmed this brisket because I wanted some ground brisket burgers as much as I wanted smoked brisket. I have a 4# chuck roast along with around 4# of the brisket trim that I’m grinding today.
IMG_1649.jpeg

Just threw these on at 225 going low and slow today. Picked up a bottle of Recteqs pork injection when I was in Evans a few weeks ago and injected these for gits and shiggles to see how it tastes. Guldens Spicy mustard binder with Meat Church Hot honey rib rub and Rassarooskis Honey rib rib.

I know a lot going on but so many ways to cook

Follow up: The injections a rather nice flavor. Juicier ribs, more than usual. Never injected ribs before. Definitely a nice change of pace.

IMG_9493.jpeg

IMG_9494.jpeg

IMG_9496.jpeg

Last edited:
My local grocery store has spare ribs on sale for <$2/lb. Picked up this massive ~7lb slab. Was going to do this yesterday, but the weather wasn’t cooperating. Put my dry rub on this morning with a Dijon mustard binder. Letting them ride at 225. May bump it up in a couple of hours since it’s such a big piece of meat. Probably sauce them with some Blues Hog Raspberry Chipotle sauce towards the end. Going to throw on some jalapeño poppers a little later. Beer is cold and the tunes are jamming. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

08716399-6C4B-4DDD-8AB2-CB37BB5E61E0.jpeg

9740A5A7-2CFE-4200-93C3-9DD409878250.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back