RT-1250 Just ordered my 1250, time for accessories

Good choice! I was afraid me earlier, imprecise reply had led you down the wrong path. The Thermapen One is an essential kitchen and grilling tool in my kit.
Ahh no worries i understood the assigment and was happy to get it on a discount. What do you use for cleaning your grill? a friend has the grill rescue brush and likes that, but he doesnt have a bull.

The GrillGrates will come with a brush. As for the 1250 grates you can use anything from wadded up aluminum foil to a regular grill brush to one of those wood scrapers. I use one like this.

The GrillGrates will come with a brush. As for the 1250 grates you can use anything from wadded up aluminum foil to a regular grill brush to one of those wood scrapers. I use one like this.
So the one purchased with recteq will come with a brush looked like just spatula

This is a good choice as it does not have any individual bristles that can come loose like regular “brushes.” Great suggestion, @Waterboy!

So the one purchased with recteq will come with a brush looked like just spatula
I misspoke. When I bought my GrillGrates (directly from GrillGrates) it came as a bundle. I see on the recteq website it is sold separately.

@somemayo, a bit of WARNING about this forum; WE are perfectly willing to spend SOMEONE ELSE’S $$$; don’t let US run amok with YOUR credit card. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We now return you to our regular programming! Let the $$$ flow. :rolleyes:
😂 it’s all good rather get all of the best recommendations right now from
More experienced people and then purchase things once I find them on sale.

Ahh no worries i understood the assigment and was happy to get it on a discount. What do you use for cleaning your grill? a friend has the grill rescue brush and likes that, but he doesnt have a bull.
I have the rescue brush for my griddle-like it a lot. I’ve never tried it on my grills as I believe there are better choices for that. I use one of the coil brushes-don’t recall the brand or where I bought it. You can see a picture of it on my cart, the link I provided earlier in this thread.

Edited to add-look at GrillGrates cleaning instructions if you are leaning towards using those. There is no shortage of ways to damage anodized aluminum if you are not careful.

Last edited:
I also like the Signals. It is bullet proof and the software is great for tracking your cooks. I also have the 4 probe MEATER and have been working with them to troubleshoot range issues that primarily surface when they are used in 304SS grills/smokers. I have also been working on issues when their probes are used in rotissiries. They tend to randomly disconnect as the protein rotates rendering any monitoring or generated data useless. For the price, I’m only asking that they work consistently. The good news is that their technical support team provides quick responses when emailed. If you search MEATER and my posts, you will see additional details on my concerns.

I also like the Signals. It is bullet proof and the software is great for tracking your cooks. I also have the 4 probe MEATER and have been working with them to troubleshoot range issues that primarily surface when they are used in 304SS grills/smokers. I have also been working on issues when their probes are used in rotissiries. They tend to randomly disconnect as the protein rotates rendering any monitoring or generated data useless. For the price, I’m only asking that they work consistently. The good news is that their technical support team provides quick responses when emailed. If you search MEATER and my posts, you will see additional details on my concerns.
Thanks, the 1259 is going to be the only grill I have so I have an issue with a 304 stainless steel might be a problem. With the signals is it only three probes and one internal probe or can you have four probes?

Thanks, the 1259 is going to be the only grill I have so I have an issue with a 304 stainless steel might be a problem. With the signals is it only three probes and one internal probe or can you have four probes?
The Signals comes with one ambient temperature (grill temp) probe and 3 meat probes. You can purchase another meat probe (pretty inexpensive) and monitor 4 meat probes. The Signals base unit doesn’t care which type of probe you plug into each port; it just measures the indicated temperature.

The meat probes are longer and slimmer (with a sharp point) than the ambient temperature probe (which also comes with a clip to hold it just above the grate), but otherwise, they all just indicate temperature.

The Signals comes with one ambient temperature (grill temp) probe and 3 meat probes. You can purchase another meat probe (pretty inexpensive) and monitor 4 meat probes. The Signals base unit doesn’t care which type of probe you plug into each port; it just measures the indicated temperature.

The meat probes are longer and slimmer (with a sharp point) than the ambient temperature probe (which also comes with a clip to hold it just above the grate), but otherwise, they all just indicate temperature.
Jim…,

You are correct. They have/had the 2.5mm professional probes at $5.00 off in the last few days. I like them better because the put a much smaller diameter hole in the food in case presentation is desired. That is by the way what I like least about the MEATER. It looks like someone shot the food with a .22 round.

Jim…,

You are correct. They have/had the 2.5mm professional probes at $5.00 off in the last few days. I like them better because the put a much smaller diameter hole in the food in case presentation is desired. That is by the way what I like least about the MEATER. It looks like someone shot the food with a .22 round.
Absolutely; I have actually gone to the new, even thinner Pro Series Hi-Temp Needle probes (1.6mm diameter):

https://www.thermoworks.com/tx-1015x-n2/

I like both the thinner diameter and the straight-transition rather than the L-shaped ones. YMMV

And, a “40% thinner” probe is why I finally chose the Combustion Inc. wireless Predictive Thermometer unit over the Meater. Can’t wait for it to arrive in a couple of weeks.

I have seen many people use the gasket and they seem very happy. Especially when they apply it before their first burn which gives the adhesive the best possible chance for success. As you have the 1250, you won’t have to worry about the “witness” marks on the front lower SS part of you chamber. I call it grillmaster’s marks of excellence. I am especially interested in any fact based analysis regarding the seal’s efficacy. If you notice the design, there are 2 major flaws in the RT’s design and the theory behind its use. The first is the chimney. I get the fact that by design it may influence the chamber to flow the smoke across the grill surface. However, below it is the grease drain. Which during a cook expels quite a lot of smoke on its own. Between the two, if your lid fits properly, I can’t see how the almost negligible amount of smoke escaping from the lid makes a big difference. If I had to calculate the CFM loss from my rig, I would put it at less than 0.5% of the total expelled smoke’s volume. To counter this minimal loss, I actually use the small shelves to raise the proteins into the direct path of the smoke versus keeping them on the included shelf, for improved flavor. You will have the second shelf for this purpose and I look forward to your feedback as my unit is the legacy RT700.

Other items I like include:
- Thermoworks Signals 4 channel probe set (get the case, you’ll thank me later)
- Infrared thermometer - Although my rigs are pretty stable, it‘s a fun toy and comes in handy
- Leather apron, maybe I’m just messy but at least it looks better than my wife’s, lol
- Heavy duty spatula (x2), great for smash burgers and other stuff
- Industrial duty cleaner (non-toxic) for those inevitable spills
- Industrial strength cleaning cloths (great for oiling the grill’s grates)
- Wooden cutting board (saves the blades of your knives
- Stick type probe (instant read)
- Commercial pan(s) that can be used to season, and transport bigger proteins, great for the resting periods following a cook when combined with a couple of towels
- A serrated knife for cutting briskets, ribs and similar stuff (combine with a great flexible trimming knife for cleaning off stray pieces of meat during prep time
- Large shaker with decent sized holes - great for distributing your home made dry rubs
- Cast Iron cookware. Retains heat and is great for smashing smash burgers (use the bottom) and also for your sauces and other cooked accoutrements.
- Wagyu Tallow. The best thing since butter

In closing, anyone want to educate me on their experiences.
What infrared thermometer do you have?

ThermoPro.

image.jpg

There are some go to companies. Although most are made in China, a US based sales office or design team can make a difference.

Thanks seems like thermoPro is the company for anything temperature
Uhhhhhh...I thinks we've had this discussion before. ThermoWorks offers professional-level equipment and is generally considered "the company for all things temperature."

ThermoPro offers more price-point products, though they may meet your needs.

Both companies offer infrared thermometers and, in my opinion, these units are not nearly as critical as the temperature probe and reporting units. In this case, either would probably do the job for you. Personally, while I have one, I rarely use it and wouldn't spend the money--at least early on--for either one. YMMV

I don't have a dog in the fight; just pointing out which company is which. They are commonly confused due to the similarity of names.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back