RT-1250 Just ordered my 1250, time for accessories

Awesome thanks for the information.

I saw that some people put a gasket around the lid. Have any of you guys done that?
I have seen many people use the gasket and they seem very happy. Especially when they apply it before their first burn which gives the adhesive the best possible chance for success. As you have the 1250, you won’t have to worry about the “witness” marks on the front lower SS part of you chamber. I call it grillmaster’s marks of excellence. I am especially interested in any fact based analysis regarding the seal’s efficacy. If you notice the design, there are 2 major flaws in the RT’s design and the theory behind its use. The first is the chimney. I get the fact that by design it may influence the chamber to flow the smoke across the grill surface. However, below it is the grease drain. Which during a cook expels quite a lot of smoke on its own. Between the two, if your lid fits properly, I can’t see how the almost negligible amount of smoke escaping from the lid makes a big difference. If I had to calculate the CFM loss from my rig, I would put it at less than 0.5% of the total expelled smoke’s volume. To counter this minimal loss, I actually use the small shelves to raise the proteins into the direct path of the smoke versus keeping them on the included shelf, for improved flavor. You will have the second shelf for this purpose and I look forward to your feedback as my unit is the legacy RT700.

Other items I like include:
- Thermoworks Signals 4 channel probe set (get the case, you’ll thank me later)
- Infrared thermometer - Although my rigs are pretty stable, it‘s a fun toy and comes in handy
- Leather apron, maybe I’m just messy but at least it looks better than my wife’s, lol
- Heavy duty spatula (x2), great for smash burgers and other stuff
- Industrial duty cleaner (non-toxic) for those inevitable spills
- Industrial strength cleaning cloths (great for oiling the grill’s grates)
- Wooden cutting board (saves the blades of your knives
- Stick type probe (instant read)
- Commercial pan(s) that can be used to season, and transport bigger proteins, great for the resting periods following a cook when combined with a couple of towels
- A serrated knife for cutting briskets, ribs and similar stuff (combine with a great flexible trimming knife for cleaning off stray pieces of meat during prep time
- Large shaker with decent sized holes - great for distributing your home made dry rubs
- Cast Iron cookware. Retains heat and is great for smashing smash burgers (use the bottom) and also for your sauces and other cooked accoutrements.
- Wagyu Tallow. The best thing since butter

In closing, anyone want to educate me on their experiences.

When you go to look for “Shakers”, search for “Dredge”, which is what they’re known as in the food industry. Worth every penny.

Who knew ? (I sure didn’t……).

When you go to look for “Shakers”, search for “Dredge”, which is what they’re known as in the food industry. Worth every penny.

Who knew ? (I sure didn’t……).
Thanks for the feedback and offering the name of the device. I have several and unfortunately, most off the shelf contraptions do not pass coarse ground pepper and pepper flakes very well. When shopping, if you can find the same dredge’s they use for pepper flakes in your local pizza shops, you may have a winner. I have a similar device but it has a wire mesh cover for the screen. It will pass anything smaller than a pepper seed and is great for home made rubs.

The biggest key to any new found hobby is try to buy the right item once or like me, you will have many items cluttering up the back of the cabinet that won’t see the light of day for many years. There is a very thin line between a utilitarian device and waiting for a call from the Smithsonian because YOU were the one that bought something years ago. Ask my wife how I know, lol.

Regards

Last edited:
@Greg Jones, I saw those spray bottles the other day at my local Ace Hardware, but even looking at the labeling could not determine whether they were food-grade plastic. I’m pretty picky about using food-grade stuff in my cooking. Do you know if they are actually food grade?
Good question, and I’m pretty picky about food grade stuff for storage also. My answer is I do not know if they are food grade. I can add that I don’t store anything in these sprayers. I stock up small food grade/safe carry out containers with a 50/50 mix of The Mother’s ACV and apple juice and freeze those for later use on my pork and poultry sprays. Whatever is left over is discarded.

Good question, and I’m pretty picky about food grade stuff for storage also. My answer is I do not know if they are food grade. I can add that I don’t store anything in these sprayers. I stock up small food grade/safe carry out containers with a 50/50 mix of The Mother’s ACV and apple juice and freeze those for later use on my pork and poultry sprays. Whatever is left over is discarded.
I’ve been using these with pretty good results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNCHH32K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They are inexpensive enough that if they don’t last too long, I’m not out that much.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. With Prime Day coming up next week it’s a good time to grab some of these accessories. Hoping that the instant reads go on sale.

Do you guys like the meager probes or another wireless one?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. With Prime Day coming up next week it’s a good time to grab some of these accessories. Hoping that the instant reads go on sale.

If you get a red, white or blue Thermapen One today it is $69.97 (just shy of $30 off).

If you get a red, white or blue Thermapen One today it is $69.97 (just shy of $30 off).
That’s awesome saw ThermoPro Lightning for $38.49

Is there a deal page on this forum where people post deals on items?

B2BD4EBA-4125-4C5E-AB4F-1EFDC449DF81.jpeg

I have used a borrowed MEATER and it worked well. And, I just ordered a similar Combustion Inc predictive thermometer. It looks to be even better.

That said, for most cooks, I will continue to use my ThermoWorks 4-probe Signals unit. It has been a stellar performer in all respects. I highly recommend it as a must-have in any cooking kit.

Don’ confuse ThermoPro with ThermoWorks; night and day difference IMO.
Thanks just ordered the thermoPro with the current deal. Rest might wait until prime to see if I can get anything cheaper.

Thanks just ordered the thermoPro with the current deal. Rest might wait until prime to see if I can get anything cheaper.
Ummm, I think Jim is waving you off of the "ThermoPro" and encouraging you to buy the "Thermoworks Signals". I wholeheartedly agree with Jim. I have numerous other, lesser thermometers that sit in the back of the bottom drawer since I bought the "Thermoworks Signals".

It just works and does it consistently. Don't cheap out. It'll be more expensive in the long run if you do. AMHIK.........

Ummm, I think Jim is waving you off of the "ThermoPro" and encouraging you to buy the "Thermoworks Signals". I wholeheartedly agree with Jim. I have numerous other, lesser thermometers that sit in the back of the bottom drawer since I bought the "Thermoworks Signals".

It just works and does it consistently. Don't cheap out. It'll be more expensive in the long run if you do. AMHIK.........
Uhhhhh, sorry; I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been. ThermoWorks products are professional quality products with a solid reputation for both quality and customer service.

Since I don't own any ThermoPro products, I don't want to say anything negative about them. I do have a LOT of experience with ThermoWorks products (but have no financial or business relationship with the company), however, and can tell you from first-hand experience that they are top notch. ThermoWorks products are the only ones I can recommend with confidence. They are more expensive, but they will last a long time and serve the user well doing it.

Sorry I typed the wrong thing. I ordered the blue Thermapen One red. I’ll look into the Thermoworks signals as well, but I could use the thermapem indoors anyway as our current one stinks.

What do you guys use to clean the grates? Is there a certain brush you like? Should I order the brush for the sear kit?

Sorry I typed the wrong thing. I ordered the blue Thermapen One red. I’ll look into the Thermoworks signals as well, but I could use the thermapem indoors anyway as our current one stinks.
Good choice! I was afraid me earlier, imprecise reply had led you down the wrong path. The Thermapen One is an essential kitchen and grilling tool in my kit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back