RT-1250 Just ordered my 1250, time for accessories

I think they are pretty much the same. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that they are all made by the same company. I, also, used the Total Control product and it is working well.

I haven’t used Lavalock. I put the Total Control on in March 2022 and it’s been doing fine.
I think they are pretty much the same. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to find that they are all made by the same company. I, also, used the Total Control product and it is working well.
Thanks just ordered. Looks like the grill will be here Tuesday

If anyone needs looks like the signals are on sale for prime day on thermoworks site.

CFB3125F-6824-4F4F-84BA-D11DC93194F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes sorry it’s a prime deal on thermoworks site. Updated original post.
Bye the bye......

Sign up for the Thermoworks e-mail specials. Sales are frequent and are usually in the neighborhood of these prices. I tend to think that Thermoworks are "feeling the heat" of lower priced competitors.

I tend to think that even with the sale prices, they're still a bit overpriced. BUT, it's like they say, you get what you pay for. Do I have any regrets over having bought my Thermoworks Signals ? No, not at all.

What I do have regrets over is buying the cheaper knock offs in the beginning and not being satisfied with them, only to buy the Signals unit and be out all that money for the cheaper stuff.

Buy once, cry once.

Hey guys so started putting over her the grill and notice some scratches on the shelf and what looks like rust on the inside of the chamber is this normal? Some pics attached.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hey guys so started putting over her the grill and notice some scratches on the shelf and what looks like rust on the inside of the chamber is this normal? Some pics attached.

View attachment 19645

View attachment 19646

View attachment 19647
If'n it were me, I wouldn't worry about the scratches. That'll happen the first time you drag a Nordicware tray across it.

I would ping RT about the rust and say "WTF". It actually looks like it may have been leftover acid etchant for cleaning up joints prior to welding. Stainless isn't supposed to stain/(rust), but it depends on the quality of the "Stainless" :unsure:

If'n it were me, I wouldn't worry about the scratches. That'll happen the first time you drag a Nordicware tray across it.

I would ping RT about the rust and say "WTF". It actually looks like it may have been leftover acid etchant for cleaning up joints prior to welding. Stainless isn't supposed to stain/(rust), but it depends on the quality of the "Stainless" :unsure:
I agree with the scratches just for how much the grill is I was expect it to be pristine. The rust part is definitely the part that is the most frustrating along with the fact that I only noticed after i had gotten to the side shelf part in the build.

So an update this morning. I gave them a call right at 9 and the Rep asked for a better photo of the rust so he could see the whole grill. And he was like it might be as simple cleaning it up with comet. Now I still got to send him the photo but am I wrong at thinking I should not have to clean up rust on a brand new grill??

So an update this morning. I gave them a call right at 9 and the Rep asked for a better photo of the rust so he could see the whole grill. And he was like it might be as simple cleaning it up with comet. Now I still got to send him the photo but am I wrong at thinking I should not have to clean up rust on a brand new grill??
No, you really shouldn't have to.

I was thinking about it a little and I thought along similar lines (as what RT suggested). I wouldn't mind putting 15 minutes of elbow grease into it, provide that gets rid of all the rust and it doesn't return. If some of the rust remains, who's to say it won't continue to rust and ultimately render the barrel useless. Conversely, the amount of rust that I saw doesn't appear that it will ever go very far.

I'd suggest cleaning as per their recommendations and also e-mail them, re-capping your conversation, their response/recommendation(s) and your commitment to doing as they instruct. That way, if you still have a problem with it in the future, you have documented history of communication with them about the problem.

I kind of have the feeling that once cleaned up, the rust won't spread any further. But if it does, it'll probably be well beyond the warranty period anyway.

RT Q/C Strikes again.........:rolleyes:

Oh, and if you're going to do what they suggest, find a Stainless Steel Brillo (like) pad. Using a regular steel pad will just deposit more ferrous metals into the stainless and it'll probably rust even more.

Last edited:
No, you really shouldn't have to.

I was thinking about it a little and I thought along similar lines (as what RT suggested). I wouldn't mind putting 15 minutes of elbow grease into it, provide that gets rid of all the rust and it doesn't return. If some of the rust remains, who's to say it won't continue to rust and ultimately render the barrel useless. Conversely, the amount of rust that I saw doesn't appear that it will ever go very far.

I'd suggest cleaning as per their recommendations and also e-mail them, re-capping your conversation, their response/recommendation(s) and your commitment to doing as they instruct. That way, if you still have a problem with it in the future, you have documented history of communication with them about the problem.

I kind of have the feeling that once cleaned up, the rust won't spread any further. But if it does, it'll probably be well beyond the warranty period anyway.

RT Q/C Strikes again.........:rolleyes:

Oh, and if you're going to do what they suggest, find a Stainless Steel Brillo (like) pad. Using a regular steel pad will just deposit more ferrous metals into the stainless and it'll probably rust even more.
Well after they asked me to wipe it off with a rag, and nothing happened they are going to ship me a whole new unit. For a second there I thought it was going to have to start shopping for a new grill, but they are coming through with replacing it. Now hopefully it gets here quick. It’s going to suck bring this thing back down the driveway.

Well after they asked me to wipe it off with a rag, and nothing happened they are going to ship me a whole new unit. For a second there I thought it was going to have to start shopping for a new grill, but they are coming through with replacing it. Now hopefully it gets here quick. It’s going to suck bring this thing back down the driveway.
Well, that's good news. Extra work for you, but at least they stood behind it.

This is how and why that I concluded that they receive containers full of product from China and just offload them into their warehouse. It doesn't even look like they spot check anything via random sampling.....

Well, that's good news. Extra work for you, but at least they stood behind it.

This is how and why that I concluded that they receive containers full of product from China and just offload them into their warehouse. It doesn't even look like they spot check anything via random sampling.....
Well, they should be qc’ing them here. it’s like I said to him I didn’t pay for a scratch and dent model. If that’s what I had purchased then my expectations would’ve been set to a level of what I got. I’m glad that they took care of it. I have to deal with a little bit of an inconvenience, but hopefully the next one is in better shape.

Welcome to the 21st Century built in China and investor controlled business model. Sadly, it is all about feeding the investors' bank accounts and hoping the customers don't notice flaws in the product. As you found out, it is up to the customer to demand the product they paid for.

Sorry this happened to you, but you seem to have handled it well. Good luck with the replacement.

Hi all thanks everyone in the welcome forum for all their help in purchasing the 1250. But now that it’s on order wanted to get people opinions on the accessories that I should get:
Smoke tube
Cover
Upgrade wheels (I have seen some people with upgraded wheels, figured would be best to do when I assemble it the first time)

Not sure if anyone has got one but I was think about getting an induction cooktop for above the controller unit, kind make it similar to the new traeger timberline

Anything else you guys can think of or have that you love let me know.
DONT buy a cover from Recteq!

They don't fit. I just purchased a cover 30 days ago for my RT1250 and it does not fit and if I force it I guarantee it is going to rip on a corner. Yes, I have tried installing it from many different angles and still not luck.

Recteq will not do anything about it except offer me a 30% discount on the purchase of a new cover they have that included a zipper to make it easier to install.

I think I got one of the old style even though I purchased it 30 days ago and the fact that the same cover now has a zipper in it to ease the installation proves the old design was defective. I would honestly save money and purchase an off brand cover from Amazon or other site. Don't risk buying from Recteq.

Many other here have had the same issue and have bought covers elsewhere.

The zipper in the cover is a smart move from recteq. I have a 4 year old cover for a 700 w/smokebox, and the cover is now junk. I might be tempted to order a new one now with a zipper.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back