RT-1250 Just ordered my 1250, time for accessories

Uhhhhhh...I thinks we've had this discussion before. ThermoWorks offers professional-level equipment and is generally considered "the company for all things temperature."

ThermoPro offers more price-point products, though they may meet your needs.

Both companies offer infrared thermometers and, in my opinion, these units are not nearly as critical as the temperature probe and reporting units. In this case, either would probably do the job for you. Personally, while I have one, I rarely use it and wouldn't spend the money--at least early on--for either one. YMMV

I don't have a dog in the fight; just pointing out which company is which. They are commonly confused due to the similarity of names.
Jim6820. I agree with you especially if someone is prioritizing their purchases. It is not really needed for my RT700 unless I am checking temps on the grill grates for pizza, salmon, and similar high temp cooks when cooking open chamber and needing to verify device recovery rates. I also use it quite a bit on my sear burners to make sure they are at a working temperature (and not beyond), for checking preheats on my cast iron before adding anything, and for my stick and charcoal burners when getting the temps dialed in. They can also come in handy if you want to see how close to ambient a protein is as it warms before putting it/them on any cooking device and ensuring food safety. Another good use for those interested is for verifying the temps on oils and other cooking media so you don’t overheat or underheat (especially for that good old fried chicken) or the temps in my pizza oven when doing a 3-5 hour low temperature rest for briskets, pulled pork and other items at 160-165F to keep things safe for consumption. I actually did an overnight brisket rest and was amazed at how tender and moist it remained in the old pizza oven

Just my thoughts,

When you go to look for “Shakers”, search for “Dredge”, which is what they’re known as in the food industry. Worth every penny.

Who knew ? (I sure didn’t……).
Here is a little hack if you are at all interested. Works nice and keeps rubs and/or spices tightly sealed after use. Grab a Ball jar or Mason with lid. Save or pick up a Parmesan cheese in shaker container as pictured. Mix rub and place in jar or spices. When needed remove jar lid and put the green shaker atop on. Do your thing and then remove and reseal. All good. I am not recommending or discrediting the product in the pic. Just the top as an example.

IMG_1413.jpeg

Here is a little hack if you are at all interested. Works nice and keeps rubs and/or spices tightly sealed after use. Grab a Ball jar or Mason with lid. Save or pick up a Parmesan cheese in shaker container as pictured. Mix rub and place in jar or spices. When needed remove jar lid and put the green shaker atop on. Do your thing and then remove and reseal. All good. I am not recommending or discrediting the product in the pic. Just the top as an example.
Nice tip! I‘ve used those lids on Mason jars for years now. Note that these shaker lids fit the regular mouth Mason jars, and not the wide mouth jars that are popular now.

View attachment 19576
Noice ! 😎

Uhhhhhh...I thinks we've had this discussion before. ThermoWorks offers professional-level equipment and is generally considered "the company for all things temperature."

ThermoPro offers more price-point products, though they may meet your needs.

Both companies offer infrared thermometers and, in my opinion, these units are not nearly as critical as the temperature probe and reporting units. In this case, either would probably do the job for you. Personally, while I have one, I rarely use it and wouldn't spend the money--at least early on--for either one. YMMV

I don't have a dog in the fight; just pointing out which company is which. They are commonly confused due to the similarity of names.
Late at night typing I know which one to get it just get confusing with the names haha.

Another side question, I need a new set of Knifes do any of you guys have a recommendation for a set or brand to look at.

I agree with Jim, knife recommendations can be a real slippery slope. I think I also agree with Jim that my personal overall preference is for a certain German knife maker, but I use, and endorse, some of the cheapest and disposable trimming and slicing knives available. No shortage of comment on that here if you want to search for it.

Just use the forum search function and look for “brisket knife” or “boning knife” and enjoy the ride. 🙄

OK…here are some generic knife tips.

1. Don’t buy a ”knife set;” you will end up with some knives you don’t need and rarely use.

2. Buy the best quality knives your budget will allow.

3. Buy the necessary tools to keep your knives sharp. That would include sharpening stones/diamond plates and a honing steel. Then, learn how to use them.

4. Buy a good, wood or bamboo cutting board to preserve your investment.

Here is my suggestion for a basic set of knives:

- Chef’s knife: 8-9”
- Paring knife: 3-1/2 or 4”
- Boning knife: 5-6”
- Slicing knife: 10-14”
- Meat fork: not a “knife,” but essential

Once you have those, you can look at the Asian-style knives like the Santoku, Nakiri, etc. They are nice, general purpose knives that excel in veggie prep, etc.

Good luck.

Pop Corn GIF by REYKON

OK…here are some generic knife tips.

1. Don’t buy a ”knife set;” you will end up with some knives you don’t need and rarely use.

2. Buy the best quality knives your budget will allow.

3. Buy the necessary tools to keep your knives sharp. That would include sharpening stones/diamond plates and a honing steel. Then, learn how to use them.

4. Buy a good, wood or bamboo cutting board to preserve your investment.

Here is my suggestion for a basic set of knives:

- Chef’s knife: 8-9”
- Paring knife: 3-1/2 or 4”
- Boning knife: 5-6”
- Slicing knife: 10-14”
- Meat fork: not a “knife,” but essential

Once you have those, you can look at the Asian-style knives like the Santoku, Nakiri, etc. They are nice, general purpose knives that excel in veggie prep, etc.

Good luck.

Pop Corn GIF by REYKON
Thanks again for the suggestions. I figured but individual knives would be best. I actually live right near Henkels headquarters. Not to start a knife fight but has anyone tried Misen or Made In knives? Seems like a step up from the budget knives in a little bit less than the higher and German ones.

I have a Made In comale from Masienda, none of their knives. Love it. The MI cookware gets very high marks, would not be surprised to hear the same for their cutlery.

Plenty of reading here

Recommended Pellet Grill Accessories​

And here for knife brands types and slicers

Best Brisket Knife​

On these forums, would have linked them but my forum skills are limited.
Thank you. In other news my 1250 has shipped.
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back