RT-1250 Just ordered my 1250, time for accessories

@Jim6820 I remember you suggesting that before and found them in my Amazon list. I have a brand new RT cover still in the package (RT provided replacement) due to a bad one I received but decided to use the defective one for a while longer. Will be buying a cover from Cover mates like my gasser and Weber MT have. They are water proof and excellent. Not cheap but high quality.

@Jim6820 I remember you suggesting that before and found them in my Amazon list. I have a brand new RT cover still in the package (RT provided replacement) due to a bad one I received but decided to use the defective one for a while longer. Will be buying a cover from Cover mates like my gasser and Weber MT have. They are water proof and excellent. Not cheap but high quality.
The silicone corner protectors do work well in preventing undue wear at sharp corners. Even though the cover on my RT-340 isn’t overly tight, it is snug and the soft, rounded corner protectors protect the cover fabric.

As an added bonus, they protect ME/YOU from inadvertent contact with sharp corners. The skin you save may be your own! :ROFLMAO:

So update got my new grill delivered today. Shipping company left it out and it started to rain and it wasn’t wrapped in plastic. So get it inside and start unpacking, and the front door has a scratch on it in the corner the hinge holding the door has some rust on it, the bull is scratched up. And the front lip of the barrel the stainless steel looks gouged and you can kind of see that I don’t know if it’s the raw stainless steel underneath. I reach back out to the customer service agent but not sure if this is a sign that I should just return them and look elsewhere.

535FFA96-CDEF-4694-8EED-676FF51E09D5.jpeg

2FE51936-975D-49D8-ACEE-EE3D873A8811.jpeg

469DBA09-AB85-40E9-9DF9-8C4A57DECA85.jpeg

33C37EF0-358A-4D69-BF91-C6B904E06324.jpeg

BAB48C6B-3007-4682-8222-48944DBA7F73.jpeg

Sorry to hear about the issues with your new 1250. Unfortunately, we are hearing more and more about these kinds of issues with RT and its shippers lately. That’s not a good sign. The folks at RT had better get busy righting the ship, or their business is gonna sink. Will be interested in hearing the final resolution. Good luck.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the issues with your new 1250. Unfortunately, we are hearing about these kinds of issues with RT and its shippers lately. That’s not a good sign. The folks at RT had better get busy righting the ship, or their business is gonna sink. Will be interested in hearing the final resolution. Good luck.
Yeah I was thinking that I could keep the first 1 and try cleaning up the rust and see if they will give me some money off of the grill. It's just crazy now I have 2 grills in the garage, from 2 different shipping companies that I might have to coordinate pick up with.

Long boat ride from China.......just the norm now unfortunately. :(
Yeah it’s very frustrating. Let me see if I can get them to reduce the price of the first one some more, otherwise I might return both and look for something made in the USA.

Yeah it’s very frustrating. Let me see if I can get them to reduce the price of the first one some more, otherwise I might return both and look for something made in the USA.
Just be prepared for “sticker shock” if you start looking for “Made in USA” grills. I think they are worth it, but it is a definite budget hit. I’m pretty sure that’s where I’m headed next; likely MAK Two Star General.

Just be prepared for “sticker shock” if you start looking for “Made in USA” grills. I think they are worth it, but it is a definite budget hit. I’m pretty sure that’s where I’m headed next; likely MAK Two Star General.
I know started looking. The Yoder looks nice but not sure if I want to deal with the rust issues there. This is what I get for looking for an all in one solution when my wife says you don't need it.

mean
Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask for some money off the 1st one and keep that one since besides the "rust" nothing else seems wrong

I know started looking. The Yoder looks nice but not sure if I want to deal with the rust issues there. This is what I get for looking for an all in one solution when my wife says you don't need it.
I take it that means she’s good with you buying several different grills for different uses. 🙄 Sounds good to me; could you have her call my wife? 🤣

I know started looking. The Yoder looks nice but not sure if I want to deal with the rust issues there...
Perhaps you might want to call Yoder or ATBBQ.com and discuss. I’ve seen posts from people here stating that rust with a Yoder was an issue, but my experience is that it is not. At this point in my ownsership with the Yoder YS640S, I expect it will the last pellet grill I will ever want/need to buy. It’s a tank, works perfectly, and no rust.

Perhaps you might want to call Yoder or ATBBQ.com and discuss. I’ve seen posts from people here stating that rust with a Yoder was an issue, but my experience is that it is not. At this point in my ownsership with the Yoder YS640S, I expect it will the last pellet grill I will ever want/need to buy. It’s a tank, works perfectly, and no rust.
That’s for the info Greg. What would you do if you were in my position?

That’s for the info Greg. What would you do if you were in my position?
It’s hard for me to say. I have 5 recteqs, had six counting the one they replaced at no cost for me nearly three years ago. I was on a first name basis with multiple people there. Don’t know anyone in customer service now. Visited Georgia HQ more than once and was made welcome.every time. Attached is a pic of my wife with Chef John when we both attended Academy 12-2000. My customer service experience was stellar, above and beyond, but at the same time I didn’t raise an issue with scratches or dents. Clearly things have changes since the investment buy-in. I expect they still make a great product at a fair price point, otherwise I wouldn’t still be active here. Sorry I couldn’t offer more assistance.
IMG_2975.jpeg

Hey no worries at all. I called customer service and the person handling it is off today, so hopefully I have some kind of answer tomorrow.

So I head back from them, he said he can't offer me any money cause they shipped out a 2nd grill to me (kinda of silly since the 2nd came more damaged) but he asked if there was any accessories that I wanted. My friend told me to ask for the smoke box or the competition cart, what you guys think?

So I head back from them, he said he can't offer me any money cause they shipped out a 2nd grill to me (kinda of silly since the 2nd came more damaged) but he asked if there was any accessories that I wanted. My friend told me to ask for the smoke box or the competition cart, what you guys think?
Well, the big question is will you be satisfied with a damaged grill even after receiving an “accessory.” IF the answer is “YES,” then pick an accessory that makes you happy. If the answer is “NO,” then return them both and start shopping elsewhere. I know what I’d do, but that is immaterial; this is a choice only you can make.

It boggles the mind that both grills you received were damaged; especially since they were delivered by different shippers.

Well, the big question is will you be satisfied with a damaged grill even after receiving an “accessory.” IF the answer is “YES,” then pick an accessory that makes you happy. If the answer is “NO,” then return them both and start shopping elsewhere. I know what I’d do, but that is immaterial; this is a choice only you can make.

It boggles the mind that both grills you received were damaged; especially since they were delivered by different shippers.
That's the part that is hard to believe as well. So I asked for those accessories and he came back with a cover as the option. So I think I am going to see if the rust stain comes off using some barkeeper and if not then I will return both and have to look elsewhere.

That's the part that is hard to believe as well. So I asked for those accessories and he came back with a cover as the option. So I think I am going to see if the rust stain comes off using some barkeeper and if not then I will return both and have to look elsewhere.
Agree with others, don't get the cover. I just purchased my rt-1250 and the cover 2 days ago, I'm not impressed. Way too tight and I can see where the grill can tear into it from the corners. Tried placing cover on with the upper grate on the back, no go on that.

Agree with others, don't get the cover. I just purchased my rt-1250 and the cover 2 days ago, I'm not impressed. Way too tight and I can see where the grill can tear into it from the corners. Tried placing cover on with the upper grate on the back, no go on that.
so update: they are going to be giving me the competition cart. And are going to be picking up one of the grills one Monday. I was able to clean up the grill pretty well and they let me pick the best parts from both grills. Just finished building it today and completed the burn in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back