Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

Bama, did they tell you what the "somewhat serious problems" are? Seems that the folks here would have found these serious issues. I haven't read any serious issues as of yet. Have I missed something?

My hope for RT sake is that they have got into a conservative mode until things start moving easier from over seas. Supply is short on a lot of items, and they may be experiencing that. They may be drawing in so they can support warranty issues. That's my hope.

Otherwise they are blowing a good thing for themselves and the customer. Word will get out.
He claimed the firmware of the 700 wasn't compatible with the 3RPM auger & again I have to call BS on that excuse, especially since we know otherwise. I have full confidence in the fine folks on this forum who have purchased & tested the 3RPM auger, if they say it's working, I'm good. RT however has become all about the money it seems. I can just imagine it now, a meeting with CS reps being told "we can't continue to sell the new auger to our loyal customers with 700's because they won't upgrade to the1250 and we'll lose revenue".
Truth is, they must think we're all stupid enough to accept their unappreciative attitude for customer loyalty, where is there return loyalty to us? I seriously doubt it's a production problem but it's possible, even though, if it is they would be better served telling us that instead of lying about it.

There are no serious issues with the 3 RPM auger motor. Many members here have done all of the beta testing. No issues with grilling at high temp which is the main reason members use it. As long as the minimal feed rate is set at 20 on the grill's processor AUG setting, you should have no issues with low & slow smoking.
As someone who has done the upgrade on an older 700, I think the "serious issue" is with older units with an old firmware. My original controller would not adjust down below 3. With that controller, I could not maintain low temps. The serious issue would be on the other end. The bull would go north of 650 and climbing when I turned it down. I never let it reach max as I didn't want to fry anything go blow it up. Those temps are fine for my BGE, but I am not comfortable with 700 in the Bull.
As I documented up thread, I called CS and told them what was going on. I fully expected to have to pay for the new controller. They were familiar with the issue and sent me an updated controller that can adjust down to below 3. The rep even told what setting to start with. My bull is still under warrenty.
So, RT not selling them may be a liability issue other than a money grab. Or it could be costing too much to send out free controllers to folks.
I am in no way defending their latest actions. But all my interactions with them have been very positive.

I’m Not trying to play devils advocate here but I think the removal of the 3rpm on the site could be less related to them trying to sell the 1250 and more for them not currently having the inventory to build and warranty the 1250 and the 2500 along with selling the 3rpm by themselves.
I think it’d be a lot worse for them to tell someone with a 2500 that called and needed a 3rpm replaced that they cant replace it because they have none then to just not let people buy them separately for now.

I’m Not trying to play devils advocate here but I think the removal of the 3rpm on the site could be less related to them trying to sell the 1250 and more for them not currently having the inventory to build and warranty the 1250 and the 2500 along with selling the 3rpm by themselves.
I think it’d be a lot worse for them to tell someone with a 2500 that called and needed a 3rpm replaced that they cant replace it because they have none then to just not let people buy them separately for now.
That was my first thought, too, but that’s not what customer service is telling people, apparently. I think the supply issue would be far more understandable.

That was my first thought, too, but that’s not what customer service is telling people, apparently. I think the supply issue would be far more understandable.
Hell with RT, I'll show them who the boss is! I hope to get this installed sometime in future.
images.jpg

By all means I’m not saying it is definitely the issue but was just throwing that into the ring for consideration. That 1250 has only been out for days compared to the years the rest have been.

Finally got my MFR dialed in at 2.5. First pic at 325, 2nd at 200. Thanks to folks who gave me tips above.

Attachments

• 1B57132E-2387-4E67-81C4-4866918B06F9.png
    1B57132E-2387-4E67-81C4-4866918B06F9.png
    824.4 KB · Views: 88
  • ECC72EDE-98C0-44DA-892A-0F97726AD1D0.png
    ECC72EDE-98C0-44DA-892A-0F97726AD1D0.png
    786.4 KB · Views: 92
Whoa, seems I ordered the 3 rpm auger just in time.

Small hiccup while installing mine: for some reason when I was pushing the new motor into the auger (before attaching the cotter pin), the black “female” piece was pushed into the grill and disappeared.

After finding my shopvac and removal all the pellets from the hopper, pot, and auger chamber, I was able to push the auger from the firepot to the back side of the grill.
Sounds just like my lunch break today to a T! Got it installed and it heats up super fast now.

For anyone looking for a 3rpm motor , smoke daddy sells them , just a head up 👍
Unless I'm looking at the wrong site, it looks like they are sold out of their 3rpm motors now too, haha. Has anyone installed the 3rpm motor from smoke daddy in their 590?

Thanks

Unless I'm looking at the wrong site, it looks like they are sold out of their 3rpm motors now too, haha. Has anyone installed the 3rpm motor from smoke daddy in their 590?

Thanks
I wonder if they arent out but rather not selling them. The 1250 comes with the 3 RPM motor. It might be an attempt to force people to the new model if they want faster heat up times vs just modding their 700.

I wonder if they arent out but rather not selling them. The 1250 comes with the 3 RPM motor. It might be an attempt to force people to the new model if they want faster heat up times vs just modding their 700.
He is talking about the Smoke Daddy auger motor, not the Recteq auger motor. Smoke Daddy is sold out of the 3 RPM motros right now.

After seeing others complain about the new app screwing with feed rate, I checked the app which said 30 and wouldn't reduce it back to 20. Menu on the Bull said the same. Come to find out that trying to reduce it in the app changed it on the smoker to 30 as indicated in the app.

Just viewing the value didn't change it on the smoker but it's the wrong value. I wonder if future RT-700 will be back to not allowing the change?

Be warned that they're not letting it go low now in the app.

Edit: Android

Last edited:
After seeing others complain about the new app screwing with feed rate, I checked the app which said 30 and wouldn't reduce it back to 20. Menu on the Bull said the same. Come to find out that trying to reduce it in the app changed it on the smoker to 30 as indicated in the app.

Just viewing the value didn't change it on the smoker but it's the wrong value. I wonder if future RT-700 will be back to not allowing the change?

Be warned that they're not letting it go low now in the app.

Edit: Android
I’ve had no issues with the iOS app yet. It still says 2.0 on the app and 20 on the controller. Hopefully, that doesn’t change.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back