Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

I just ordered my RT700 and came across this thread about the auger motor “mod”. I purchased a BFG 3rpm along with my new unit and thought I would try it from the beginning with all the research that y’all have done. I watched a YouTube video on adjusting the minimum auger rate and the recteq factory video said that the rate could not be lowered below 30. The video was a few years old…is this no longer the case? Thanks for passing on such great information !
Your brand new Bull will go to 15 no problem just follow the video, only difference is your will adjust down past 15 if you desire.

i tested mine today with feedrate on 20 and it ran at 180 fine. but it was 75 degrees outside and my grill is in the shade. hotter days or in the sun probably would need 15. but i have never had a flameout yet on 15, just good to know 20 works fine.

Your brand new Bull will go to 15 no problem just follow the video, only difference is your will adjust down past 15 if you desire.
Firstly, welcome Ahi & congrats on your Bull.....they are incredible! Secondly, chandinsc, richdan, & I live in warm climes which can sometimes make low, slow cooks with the 3 rpm motor & certain pellet brands "interesting", at least for me. The real beauty of the 3 rpm motor is for high temp cooks or searing & it is a rock star for that! For low and slow cooks, I would suggest "competition" pellets which seem to burn a little hotter (perhaps due to maple content?) especially at auger setting of 15. Some of us are tinkering with an auger setting of 20, but that experiment is still in progress. If you live in a cooler clime, all of this wringing of hands will likely be of no consequence. My problem is that I love hickory which is typically a sustained slow burning wood. Fortunately, these are first world problems & thus, not problems at all, but opportunities for leisurely discovery:cool:

My next slow cook will be at 15 then the next at 20. If neither gives consistent temps or both gives consistent flame outs I’ll just swap the motor out for my slow cooks. It’s such an easy procedure I don’t mind the swap. i doubt that will be necessary though.

My next slow cook will be at 15 then the next at 20. If neither gives consistent temps or both gives consistent flame outs I’ll just swap the motor out for my slow cooks. It’s such an easy procedure I don’t mind the swap. i doubt that will be necessary though.
That would be an option, especially if you didn't mess with the zip ties & left the shroud/cover off :cool:

What is the highest temp that it goes to with the motor swap? I thought I had read that its 600.

Thanks

500 with GrillGrates is all you need for great searing.
Take this for what you will but a conversation I had with the Recteq customer guy said he never takes his grill past 450 when using sear plates. His reasoning was that at a temp of 450 the plate surface is like 650 or so and that allows for great searing. His words not mine.
I do not have the sear plates yet but it is a purchase I will be making in the near future and I will at least try 450 for searing just to see if it works well. My bull heats to 450 faster than I can take a good dump now.

Take this for what you will but a conversation I had with the Recteq customer guy said he never takes his grill past 450 when using sear plates. His reasoning was that at a temp of 450 the plate surface is like 650 or so and that allows for great searing. His words not mine.
I do not have the sear plates yet but it is a purchase I will be making in the near future and I will at least try 450 for searing just to see if it works well. My bull heats to 450 faster than I can take a good dump now.
My experience has been, with a dry rub , 450 with the Grillgrates is great, but with a wet/paste rub, 500 is great. Regardless, either is well below the grills max of 600 (y)

From GrillGrates website - 15% off sale at the moment

Any special procedures for charcoal grills?

Wait to place GrillGrates after the coals are burned down, ready to grill, and preheat for 10-15 minutes. Otherwise you will burn off all of your seasoning. NOTE: Aluminum melts at 1125°. Most grills top out at 700-800°. Most charcoal purists are Weber or Green Egg aficionados who understand heat control well. GrillGrates functionality is the same for charcoal grills. Food is protected from charring flare-ups and good juices sizzle just below the food for noticeably juicer more tender meats – particularly chicken and pork. If you are a high- heat charcoal griller you will love the way GrillGrates sear a steak while protecting it from drying out and charring. NOTE: You will be able to do more direct (rather than indirect) grilling with GrillGrates on charcoal grills.

Will my grill run hotter with GrillGrates?

Yes. Most grills typically run 100-150° degrees hotter at the cooking surface than the air in the hood. GrillGrates will be hotter still. Kamado grills run 200-300° hotter at the surface, gas grills 100-200° hotter and pellet grills you can expect to see about 100° hotter. Aluminum is a superb conductor of heat smoothing out hot spots and cold spots and focusing the heat of the grill to the raised rails. Adjust grill temps downward and use less fuel.

Can I turn them over and use them as a flat surface?

Sure can! Our buddy Meathead from Amazingribs.com and lots of our customers do it all of the time. Or you can use our GrateGriddle.

Can I use my cast iron skillet or griddle on top of my GrillGrates?

We do not recommend you put anything on your GrillGrates other than food or our GrateGriddle. Heat can potentially become trapped and damage the GrillGrates.

Ooops

Can I use my cast iron skillet or griddle on top of my GrillGrates?

We do not recommend you put anything on your GrillGrates other than food or our GrateGriddle. Heat can potentially become trapped and damage the GrillGrates

I do this quite often on my gasser (I have the full GrillGrates replacement kit on the Weber) - cast iron skillet on the GrillGrates for reverse searing ribeye.

Th
Sounds like its time to break out my Grill Grates and my IR camera!
That would be interesting to see.

By the way the GrillGrate plates for the Bull are out of stock. I assume they would honor the discount when they come in though.

I did not have a problem searing my steaks when my pit temp was 450 using GrillGrates. Oh, I'm using the GrillGrates from my old 22" Weber Kettle.

I did not have a problem searing my steaks when my pit temp was 450 using GrillGrates. Oh, I'm using the GrillGrates from my old 22" Weber Kettle.
Let's see a pic of the Weber GrillGrates in the Bull, please. You may have just saved me $100 that I can use for my auger motor investment club.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirkster
Back