Bull 1st Time Pellet Grill Owner & RT700 Purchase, Service & Overall Review

JGouvisis20

Hey everyone!

My name is Josh, and I am a first time owner of a pellet smoker! No experience, and only owned a gas grill in the past! I did alot of research over the last year between many different kinds of pellet grills, and chose the RT700 as my first smoker! I purchased everything on Thanksgiving Day during the Cyber Weekend Sale. While there are some features RT does not have on their grills that others do, overall the warranty, longevity of use, and service is what I look for. Those three things alone sold me. The other features would be nice, but were not that big of a deal to me.

While researching i was able to find prior Black Friday deals that RT put out in 2019, and was looking forward in the same kind of deals to happen in 2020. I planned to buy everything for the RT700 all in one shot, because it seemed like the best thing for me to do. Even though the Black Friday event for 2020 was much different, I still purchased everything. I knew that the grills never go on sale, but that accessories did.

My Order Was;
The RT700, The Comp Cart, Smokebox, Grill Cover, Grill Grates, Cooking Mat, Large Interior Shelf, Front Folding Shelf, and I got the free Matador.

I was hoping for the discount on accessories and grates, but got over it and just placed my order. Most of all I was REALLY hoping for the grill bundle deals! I would have loved to get the "Champion" that had the RT700. (If anyone bought that last year, and know what it went for please share!!)

During the sale, I saw a lot of people upset because they felt the deals were geared towards new customers, and not current customers. While I can say I could see where they were coming from, i could also agree with them because I wanted to take advantage of the prior deals from 2019 in 2020. I also know that sometimes not everyone is happy with what they have, or what kind of deal they got when they bought something in the past to what's going on now. I then found myself becoming like that with my purchase LOL! Anyway... Even though I knew I was getting a free Matador, I couldn't picture using it as much as the 700 and accessories. Make no mistake, i am happy i have my matador though!

So I am with you who wanted a few more options, and have accessory discounts! I especially hope deals like that occur again, because parts do get old. It would also be cool if the was a replacement part sale here and there. I think every grill comes with a 6 year warranty, but also nothing lasts forever and im sure some parts are much more expensive to replace than others. Doesn't have to be a big discount percentage, but something would help!

(RECTEQ IF YOU READ THIS, THIS WOULD BE A COOL WAY TO GIVE BACK TO EXISTING CUSTOMERS!!)

Waiting for my order to arrive at my house was the most anxiety I ever had lol! I don’t know why, but it just was (You guys can laugh at me, its cool) ! When the time had come for my order to pull up, I could hear the exhaust on the ESTES truck as it was rounding my corner LOL! Opened my garage, and went outside standing by. The delivery dude was looking at me like it was no big deal, but I just did my best to not to not clap and jump up and down haha!

I will say, I am VERY impressed on how much care went into packing/protecting my order while in transit! All the way from the heavy construction of the boxes, to the way everything was packed in the grill itself! Amazing! To top it off, they covered all my items with an even bigger box, to protect my item boxes and shrink wrapped it on a pallet! Wow! Hats off to RT for this! Thank you guys! (Pictures attached)

Im sure you can guess i didn’t waste anytime putting it together. It didn’t take long at all, maybe 1-2 hours? SO GLAD, there weren’t a bunch of little pieces you have to puzzle together lol!

Review Of All Items

No major issues except for a few small things.

1. Smokebox
  • The door did not sit flush, and the top left corner was cocked out. I could press it with my finger to make it sit flush, but once I let go it popped back out. The handle also was too loose for my liking after I tightened it down. It jiggled up and down, and didn’t secure snug. When I closed the door and latched it shut, the handle was so loose (even though all the right hardware was installed and tight) that it would not stay up in the “locked” position and just fell down. The door didn’t swing open, but the handle would not stay up in the locked position.
  1. Competition Cart/Hardware Kit
  • The only issue with the comp cart was that the front plate that says “REC TEC GRILLS” was scraped up in 2 areas past the finish, exposing the metal underneath. Also, three of the four caster wheels lined up perfectly and were installed with no adjustment. However one caster wheel did not line up straight, and I had to turn the bracket crooked in order to get the last of the four bolts in. It did end up securing properly, but was thrown off by the one wheel. Rolls around just fine, and no issues!
  • Two of the cart bolt heads got stripped while I was securing the 700 to the cart, but nothing big. I also only used a screwdriver and wrench to secure everything, no drill for the fact I didn’t want to strip anything lol! Go figure!
  1. Large Interior Shelf: Had a dent in one corner, that’s it.
  1. PID Controller: Had a sharp point looking dent to the left of the wireless icon. Almost looked like it had been struck with a small punch tool. Operates just fine, no issues.
  1. Grease Bucket: Dented even though it was packed in styrofoam in the barrel of the 700? Not a big deal!

First Powerup
  • Wrapped my drip pan in foil, assembled and did my 1 hour burn off at 400 degrees. Next, seasoned my grill by cooking bacon at 300 degrees for one hour (Bacon was unreal and the most perfect I had to date).
  • I tried connecting my 700 to the RT app but couldn’t do so with my grill being in the backyard. I ended up having to move it back to my garage so that it was right under the room my modem/router were in. Once I did that, it connected in seconds.
  • When I moved it again to the backyard, the grill disconnected from the app. (I did see this post, and have an antenna on order https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/how-to-increase-the-wifi-range-on-your-rec-tec-grill.328/ )
First Cook
  • I had some burgers and chicken breast thawed, but hadn’t thought about how to cook them. Looked up RT recipes and prepped the breast for the ‘Chicken Bomb” recipe, and seasoned the burgers. Chicken bombs were amazing, and the burgers were the best ive ever made to date! I can’t believe I actually enjoyed my gas grill cooks, after tasting the difference that a pellet grill makes! Can’t compare!
After my wife and i finished eating and taking everything into account, i am very pleased with my purchase! I have no issues on what i spent, because it was well worth it and i am very happy!

Customer Service
  • I did call customer service today to explain what i found, after thinking about if i should or not for a day or two. The smokebox was my main concern, so i did. I thought for sure i was going to get laughed at, and maybe thought i was being too picky. I talked to Josh Kitchens in customer service at RT, and told him what i found. All i can say is that he found every way to say "Yes" in taking care of me, instead of challenging what i was saying to say "No". Unheard of! Each time i told him about each item it was "No problem ill send a new one to you", "No problem i got you taken care of, ill send one of those too"... No questions asked, and i truly felt he wanted to just make sure i was taken care of and completely satisfied! I honestly didn't expect him to send me replacements on each of the things i noted above, but he did! I got email confirmation within seconds right after the call! The total of the replacement parts came to $284.00 with $0.00 cost to me! Wow!
I thanked him for all his help, and he just told me "That's what we're here for". Wow!

RT Community
  • Everyone has been very helpful, and there is so much information to help address many minor issues and improve pretty much anything no matter what RT grill you buy. You don't really find this much involvement or help anywhere else... as far as what ive seen. Very happy to be part of this community

I've said all that, to say this. I will never complain about RT's products, or pricing because their service and what you buy can easily cost more somewhere else if any company even had something that can compete with them! Let alone, im not aware of any other company using as muhc 304 stainless steel in their products like RT does! Ive always believed in paying more for quality, and i am sold for life to Recteq on any future purchases!

If i can ever be any help, or you have any questions on my experience etc feel free to message me. I also have posted some links in the forum that i liked incase anyone else may like them also!

Josh

Relocate Bull Ring
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/how-to-relocate-the-bull-ring-on-a-rectec-rt-700-video.2001/

Drip Pan Mod
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/bull-drip-pan-mod.2850/

Wifi Range Mod
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/how-to-increase-the-wifi-range-on-your-rec-tec-grill.328/

Bull 700 Tips
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/new-bull-700-tips.1767/

Calibrating Probes
https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/calibrating.2226/

Attachments

• Recteq Bundle Deals.jpg
    Recteq Bundle Deals.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Delivery Pic 1.jpg
    Delivery Pic 1.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Delivery Pic 2.jpg
    Delivery Pic 2.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 96
  • RT700 Assembled.jpg
    RT700 Assembled.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 110
Hey Josh..

Sounds like they did you right. I actually just sent off a e-mail to support after unboxing my RT700. I too have issues with the face of the controller and black heavy scratches on the shelf. I am wondering if this was a return or something they way it arrived. Funny my drip bucket was also dinged. I really don't care about that much but the shelf and controller face bug me a bit after the "wait" LOL. Hope they make it right as well.

Do you know if the outer plastic cover on the controller is supposed to be removed or something? It looks that bad like it is just a protector or something but doesn't look like it is supposed to come off. Look at the upper right corner.

Glad to hear you are happy with them.. I have not cooked on mine yet and can't wait.

Enjoy!!

Attachments

• IMG_8477.jpg
    IMG_8477.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_8487.jpg
    IMG_8487.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_8489.jpg
    IMG_8489.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8496.jpg
    IMG_8496.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 121
Hey Josh..

Sounds like they did you right. I actually just sent off a e-mail to support after unboxing my RT700. I too have issues with the face of the controller and black heavy scratches on the shelf. I am wondering if this was a return or something they way it arrived. Funny my drip bucket was also dinged. I really don't care about that much but the shelf and controller face bug me a bit after the "wait" LOL. Hope they make it right as well.

Do you know if the outer plastic cover on the controller is supposed to be removed or something? It looks that bad like it is just a protector or something but doesn't look like it is supposed to come off. Look at the upper right corner.

Glad to hear you are happy with them.. I have not cooked on mine yet and can't wait.

Enjoy!!
Hey sdynak!

Dont sweat it my bro! Support will take good care of you! I see what you’re talking about in your photos. My PID controller looks a little similar, but I can see what you mean. I think maybe its just the plastic being snagged, and the controller face of itself may not be? I think it’s best to leave it on as is, but you can try to remove it if you want.

Overall it’s going to protect the screen, and I saw that on mine too. I decided to leave it on, and will just let it fall off by itself until it’s too bad and have to tear it off! Gotta keep it looking as new as possible for as long as I can LOL!

I can see it for a fact that RT will not Send return products as part of a new order. They for sure do not operate like that.

Just wait until you do your first cook! After you eat all these details will be history! Rest assured support will take very good care of you! I also got email confirmation a few minutes later that my replacement parts were already on the way and being process for shipping!

Enjoy your new bull, and take a few minutes during the weekend to prepare some future cooks! You’ll be glad you did! Have a great weekend!

If you need anything else, just let me know.

Josh

Hey Josh..

Thanks for the feedback. This like you say is also the reason why I settled with Rectec after owning 2 Treagers. I won't go back there :).

I am so tempted to try & peel that plastic off but it looks like it is under all the components which would make it a project and possibly worse.

I'll wait and see what they say. I had planned a fresh turkey for today when it was supposed to come on Wednesday but delayed until today. Unfortunately, I had to cook it in the oven as it was for dinner while I got this together and did the break in :(.

Glad to hear they are taking care of you! I'll let you know how I make out.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Good post Josh.
I also took advantage of thanksgiving sale, and received my 700 two days ago. Went with a similar package, minus the smoke box and the extra shelf.

Everything was in good shape. I had everything together and performed the initial burn off before I realized the cover was not shipped. Called customer service and got it taken care of in a few minutes. Even received a call back apologizing for the issue, and making sure that everything else was okay.

Thanks for adding the links in your original post. i had seen earlier posts about adding the gasket material. I used the Lavalock brand, and did the top, bottom and sides on the main door. I left a small (@ 3/4”) gap on the sides, at the top. Figured this would leave a relief area for smoke to escape, but not cause a staining issue on the grill. I did this before the initial burn off and it worked well. I also added the gasket to the inside of the hopper door. Mainly to help keep moisture out, and the 15’ roll was about perfect to complete these areas (had @ 10” left).

Moved the towel ring and calibrated the probes today, thanks to the info in the links. i Used the ice water method, and both were off by 2 degrees high. Switched the probes between the ports and both read the same, so I didn’t have to worry about tagging which probe to use with which port.

I didn’t have an extra thermometer, so I tried using the remote probes to calibrate the main temperature probe. I fed the probe wires through the top door opening and closed the door. I spaced them @ 6” apart and had them hanging so the tips were 1-2” above the grates. No problem with the wires being pinched, thanks to the gasket material. I set the desired temperature to 300 and left it run for 5-10 minutes after hitting the temperature. My probe temperatures were reading @ 335 degrees. The main temperature held within 1-2 degrees. The probe temperatures would vary a little more (+/- 3 degrees). I set the offset calibration to +12% and ran the grill for 10 more minutes. The probe temperatures stayed between 300 and 305 degrees. Hopefully this method is accurate.

Now the grill is ready for food!!!!

Welcome to the RT Family from Northern Utan
Must be something in the Water there in Georgia, 'cause my Bucket came with the same (inward) dent, but deeper
Looked to me like they formed the "Pour Spout" in the wrong direction ! ? ! .... "There isn't a Pour Spout on out Buckets !"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back