BFG 1st Pig Roast "Peter Porker"

I was concerned about the color not being that dark mahogany as seen in the videos 🤣
I have since lowered it down to 275°. I'd like it to be ready around 4:30-5:00 p.m. so that I can feed people by 6:00 p.m.

I have since lowered it down to 275°. I'd like it to be ready around 4:30-5:00 p.m. so that I can feed people by 6:00 p.m.
I lightly covered the shoulder area with foil and lowered it down to 250°.
At this point I'm thinking it may not look like I wanted to look but I wanted to taste good and like you said slow it down to be done at the same time as the ham.

IMG20231105125925.jpg

I understand. As you can see from my pictures above, I use a lot of cayenne and chili powder to enhance the color and flavor. You can also add more butter and sugar to the mix as it tends to brown fast and give great color but be careful that you don’t let it burn as it will alter the taste of the pork. A great alternative to butter is margarine. It has a higher flash point and doesn’t have to be monitored as closely. My preference is the rolling/flipping technique but friends get excellent crispy skin with spritzing and using their marinade sauces. You may also want to flip the beast belly side up at some point. Your method is allowing all the great juices to naturally gravitate to the cavity’s bottom and out unless you sewed the belly up after you added the veggies. Just a few thoughts for others doing a whole piglet.

Heck yes. Perfect day for us HB. We have been talking about doing a pig in our 700. Those pictures are inspiring.
If you decide to give it a try, check out Wild Forks in Costa Mesa. They have piglets that are the perfect size for the RT700 from Fermin Farms. The bad news is most of their nice proteins are flash frozen. The good news is that pork thaws very well and doesn’t have any noticeable side-effects.

Thanks for the tip. They opened one in HB that is dangerously close to us. They have definitely taken some of our money.

Took longer than expected but it was worth the wait.

Well??? Anxious grillers are awaiting your results. Did the cook finish on time? How were the results? What are your thoughts on the process?

Day after leftover tip.... Cut up the skin into thin strips, pan fry them until crispy - pinch of salt and a dash of vinegar.
Thank you! Will definitely try this. We saved quite a bit of the skin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back