How to increase the WiFi range on your Rec Tec Grill

Mike

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
In many cases the stock RecTec wifi antenna works great, however in some cases you may want just a little better signal or your grill is located just out of range of your WiFi.

If that's the case then this quick and EASY mod is just for you!

How to improve the WiFi signal on your Rec Tec

Items needed:
The Highfine WiFi antenna is sold as a pair, but you will only be using one of the antennas. Give the extra one to a buddy or fellow RecTecForum member ;)

Installing the Antenna:

1. Find a location on your grill near your Rec Tec WiFi enabled controller that you would like to mount the antenna.

In my case I knew I wanted the antenna as hidden as possible and not get in the way of the RecTec Bull cover which fits pretty snug. So I drilled a 1/4" hole on the bottom of my controller like so.

wifi-antenna-mount.jpg

I positioned the antenna pig-tail under the controller, closer to the grill. This allows me to be able to rotate the antenna from front to back and to the opposite site (away from the grill) and in any of those directions the antenna doesn't peak out from under the controller ensuring no issues with the grill cover.

Here is another picture with the controller cover re-installed.

wifi-antenna-mount-cover.jpg

2. To attach the wifi cable to the controller I found it much easier to pull the controller out to get better access to it (it's only held in by two screws) and then unplugged the factory antenna and attach the new antenna to the controller.

3. Finally attach the antenna and enjoy the MUCH stronger WiFi signal

wifi-antenna.jpg

To test how well it worked. I wheeled the Rec Tec Bull off of the back deck and to the back of the yard (I live on a half acre) along with a long extension cable and in each test the Rec Tec was able to connect to my WiFi with plenty of signal to spare. :D

Hope this helps and enjoy!

Nice! I ended up using a WiFi extender to boost the signal on the side of the house where my Bull is, but might consider this instead. Awfully cheap fix

I mounted a wireless access point outside in my back yard to extend my wifi so I can have my laptop outside and enjoy and to make sure whichever grill I got that was going to have wifi would have good signal and now I see this for 9 bucks....doooh?

Amazon shows it's delivered. It ended up syncing without it but I like the idea of an antenna outside of the giant metal box :LOL:

I mounted a wireless access point outside in my back yard to extend my wifi so I can have my laptop outside and enjoy and to make sure whichever grill I got that was going to have wifi would have good signal and now I see this for 9 bucks....doooh?
I'm a huge fan and user of Ubiquiti access points.

I'm actually thinking about adding another access point in my shed, mostly to offer better connection to the computer out there and for my outdoor theater setup. If I do that, it's going to make this mod a big overkill... I'll be getting wifi signal to my grill in the neighbors yard. :D

Does the factory end on these antennas plug directly on to the RECTEC controller or do you have to change the ends to the terminal that is on the factory antenna?

Does the factory end on these antennas plug directly on to the RECTEC controller or do you have to change the ends to the terminal that is on the factory antenna?
The U.FL connector (the small end) is the same one that is on the controller wifi module. It is the same connector used on most laptop wifi modules (amongst other things)

The U.FL connector (the small end) is the same one that is on the controller wifi module. It is the same connector used on most laptop wifi modules (amongst other things)
It is just a push on connector, it will click.

It is just a push on connector, it will click.
Thanks Mike, I ordered the antennas on Friday from Amazon and they got here yesterday morning. I mounted one on the bottom of the shelf in about 10 minutes including the time to get the tools and put them away. It works perfect. I had been losing signal. It now connects instantly and I rolled the grill as far a way as I can get it from my my router and no signal loss. Been rolling scene 0600 this morning and signal has been perfect.

Thanks Mike, I ordered the antennas on Friday from Amazon and they got here yesterday morning. I mounted one on the bottom of the shelf in about 10 minutes including the time to get the tools and put them away. It works perfect. I had been losing signal. It now connects instantly and I rolled the grill as far a way as I can get it from my my router and no signal loss. Been rolling scene 0600 this morning and signal has been perfect.
Hey @Rick Maddox ...glad you got it working perfectly! Dont forget to share the pics of your en-devours!

Will this also work on the RT-340? I see the 2 phillips heads holding the control panel but they seem to have a nut on the inside. Also my bottom under the control panel is vented. I would think the control board is the same I just can't figure out how to remove it.

I'm a huge fan and user of Ubiquiti access points.

I'm actually thinking about adding another access point in my shed, mostly to offer better connection to the computer out there and for my outdoor theater setup. If I do that, it's going to make this mod a big overkill... I'll be getting wifi signal to my grill in the neighbors yard. :D
If you really want to boost your signal take a look at Amplifi. They are pricey, but what's super cool is that with access you points, you have to have another SSID (wireless name). I have them installed at my house I get over 30 MB download from a distance of more than 100 ft from the router and it's all the same SSID. Even cooler is that there is an app for it so when my kid is watching crap on his ipad, I can shut the internet down to that device ;)

Updating the antenna isn't a bad idea, but in the end its tomato tomahtoe. The problem would be just as easily solved with a cheap wifi extender.

Got this one (2 pack) on Amazon and was simple to install, did while assembling new. Connects IMMEDIATELY to wifi now across the yard. I'll send you the extra one for $5 venmo me haha. Sorry couldn't get the link to work (y)

IMG_2508.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back