Thinking About Making A Change…

Congrats GJ. That’s a piece of furniture that you don’t want to move but must to enjoy its true beauty. Let us know how it compares to your RT. I almost pulled the same trigger 3 years ago but the complaints about the Yoder controller steered me away. The newer units don’t have the same problems from what I can tell. Also, can you do a biscuit test (or probe the chamber) so we can see if there are any hotspots? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone, but family/pet issues have been an issue this past week as I have documented in another thread. As for shipping, it came Dayton Freight, absolutely no issues. Perfect condition.

As to temp variation/adjustability, I still haven’t cooked on this grill yet so here is my understanding of the options available. First of all, the Yoder now uses the FireBoard controller/app for the technology behind the hardware. As mentioned, I haven’t actually cooked with it yet but what I have researched and what I have tested in a non-cooking mode on my grill, the options are very impressive. The controller is highly programable, and here is one example. The Mad Scientist/AKA Jeremy Yoder recently did a brisket smoke on a pellet grill where IIRC, he went 180 for the first two hours, 200 for the next two hours, then 220-225 for the next two hours, then wrapping at 164. After wrapping, cook to 200° then probe for tender. When he did this, he had to manually do all these steps on the grill he was using.

On the Yoder, you can pre-program, save, and automate all these steps (other than tea wrap). So you can sleep through the night, get a notification when to wrap, then go back to sleep until it’s time to start proving to tender. It’s really interesting tech even if you don’t need this capability.

As to temp control, the Yoder is truly unique to any/other pellet grills that I’m familiar with. First of all, the fire box is all the way to the left. The grill is designed to allow for multiple cooking zones/temps based on the options available. There is no typical heat diffuser/drip pan, like on recteq or other pellet grills.

I’ve included image 1 of the grill with the very nice cover installed and image 2 with the optional SS lower and half-shelf upper grates. There is a diffuser plate with a removable access door, which shares the most features with the drip pan in the recteq world. With the door in place, this would be the common use for smoking cooks at low temps (Image 3). Image 4 shows the door removed, and one of the three Grill Grates (same size as the RT-700) installed for grilling at lower temps such as roasting pork chops, chicken, or chicken wings. Image 4 shows the grates removed, with the variable damper that can be moved left to right to change the heat concentration in the chamber. All the way to the right-even distribution. All the way to the left-searing capability. All the way to the left gives searing left with two zone indirect heat to the right.
CBEF46A0-9747-432C-B2FC-DCAAFF194B7D.jpeg
B009483E-647A-48A8-9E02-CB62F6DD8D0B.jpeg
3485D48F-06D6-45C5-813E-10C0D8E81761.jpeg
25098E8D-04E1-4805-8A93-B32F599D3BEF.jpeg
44DC3FDB-712C-46A1-9039-565ED12F6896.jpeg
2E88F0BA-E8CD-4338-96F6-A5CCA26D4129.jpeg

Looks like a great rig. I wish you well. Can we recruit you as the Yoder-RT liaison to keep us informed as you develop your skills? I personally would like to see how it stands up against the RT700 as I have been eyeing the YS for a while myself. I also appreciate you letting us know how their software has evolved. RT could implement similar improvements but unfortunately, can’t even resolve the data transmissions and connectivity issues so I’m not naive enough to think I should trust any implementation of AI active programming to work properly. The ironic thing about it was I left that big box brand cooker almost 3 years ago because of RT’s advertised capabilities, lesson learned. Stay in touch so we know what the best in class competition operates like.

As to temp variation/adjustability, I still haven’t cooked on this grill yet so here is my understanding of the options available. First of all, the Yoder now uses the FireBoard controller/app for the technology behind the hardware. As mentioned, I haven’t actually cooked with it yet but what I have researched and what I have tested in a non-cooking mode on my grill, the options are very impressive. The controller is highly programable, and here is one example. The Mad Scientist/AKA Jeremy Yoder recently did a brisket smoke on a pellet grill where IIRC, he went 180 for the first two hours, 200 for the next two hours, then 220-225 for the next two hours, then wrapping at 164. After wrapping, cook to 200° then probe for tender. When he did this, he had to manually do all these steps on the grill he was using.

On the Yoder, you can pre-program, save, and automate all these steps (other than tea wrap). So you can sleep through the night, get a notification when to wrap, then go back to sleep until it’s time to start proving to tender. It’s really interesting tech even if you don’t need this capability.
This sounds way more like the Jetsons cooking than the RT which, I thought, was just that on my first cook with all the notifications, temp graphing, temp controls on the RT-700.
I sure like this sound of this and can’t wait for the cook when you put it through the paces. I am sure you will!

That's a nice drop from the pellet feed to the firebox. Bet you have neither the auger fires nor the backdraft smoke issues that some describe here with the RT. I imagine most people here would be interested in hearing about your experiences with the new rig. Good Luck!

That's a nice drop from the pellet feed to the firebox. Bet you have neither the auger fires nor the backdraft smoke issues that some describe here with the RT. I imagine most people here would be interested in hearing about your experiences with the new rig. Good Luck!
Yes, I plan on keeping everyone here informed but at the same time, I’m going to be respectful that this is not, nor should it be, the YoderTech forums! I’d never bash the recteq because recteq grills and the folks at recteq HQ have been very good to me!

Yes, I plan on keeping everyone here informed but at the same time, I’m going to be respectful that this is not, nor should it be, the YoderTech forums! I’d never bash the recteq because recteq grills and the folks at recteq HQ have been very good to me!
I like your considerate approach, @Greg Jones. There is nothing wrong, however, with respectfully chronicling your experiences with the Brand Y grill. We may all learn something new as a result. I’m looking forward to following your journey. And, since I still haven’t made up my mind on how to proceed at the new house, it will be helpful to have some fresh perspective.

In the immortal words of the late Great Tom Petty, The waiting is the hardest part. So, you must be one patient soul. Any new, news?

In the immortal words of the late Great Tom Petty, The waiting is the hardest part. So, you must be one patient soul. Any new, news?
Actually no, it’s still in the house! The cover was on back order for a while, and we had rain in the forecast almost every day before it arrived, so I kept in parked. The cover arrived, but my 95 year-old mother passed away 3 days ago, and we’ve been dealing with all that is involved with that, plus I have some other personal engagements that I can’t comment on yet. I have a Wagyu prime rib roast in waiting, and weather permitting I’ll cook it on Christmas Day. If the weather doesn’t cooperate, I’ll be cooking it on the RT-700 on Christmas Day1

Actually no, it’s still in the house! The cover was on back order for a while, and we had rain in the forecast almost every day before it arrived, so I kept in parked. The cover arrived, but my 95 year-old mother passed away 3 days ago, and we’ve been dealing with all that is involved with that, plus I have some other personal engagements that I can’t comment on yet. I have a Wagyu prime rib roast in waiting, and weather permitting I’ll cook it on Christmas Day. If the weather doesn’t cooperate, I’ll be cooking it on the RT-700 on Christmas Day1
So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family. Agree, it can wait and I have been dealing with that rain as well. Take care of you and your family.

Sorry for your loss, Greg.

Very sorry to hear of your mother’s passing, @Greg Jones; our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care.

This grill has sat in my house for more than a month due to wet weather, a 10-day trip to Oaxaca, Mexico, and a death in the family. It’s finally ready to make some smoke. I burned off the main grates earlier today and am now burning off the wood-fired oven and an additional grate. Latter today I’m going to season it with a light coat of avocado oil.
B231DEA2-239F-4AEE-AB62-B1DAF689AD6C.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back