Thinking About Making A Change…

Congrats, @Greg Jones; looks like a very nice setup. Please do stay active on this forum and help us understand the ins-and-outs of Yoder. I, for one, will be genuinely interested.

Congrats on your new family member. May it bring you many years of enjoyment. I have friends with Yoders and they are as proud of their devices as I am with my Bull. Interestingly, someone is selling one here in Orange County, CA, for a very reasonable price. It’s only the second one I have seen advertised as used, which tells me they must be of remarkable quaity. The first one went for ~$600 due to a divorce/relocation and I passed on it. The current one is at $1400 last time I checked. I kick myself everyday on missing out on the first but sometimes, you have to pick your battles. lol.

So I learned today, and confirmed by my test, that a MEATER+ probe will NOT work on a YoderYS640S smoker. The 10 gauge steel on the Yoder is too thick for the probe to maintain connection with the base station. Wondering if I need to rethink my Combustion Inc. probe order?

So I learned today, and confirmed by my test, that a MEATER+ probe will NOT work on a YoderYS640S smoker. The 10 gauge steel on the Yoder is too thick for the probe to maintain connection with the base station. Wondering if I need to rethink my Combustion Inc. probe order?
You could try an other test while the unit is cold. Place a WiFi and if you have it a BT sending unit in the chamber and see if they comm. with the base unit(s). It is possible that the small transmitters in the wireless probes just don’t have the power. If this is the case I might re-think the probe set you noted above. Just a thought.

Let us know what you find or your process through this. Good Luck!

Edit: knowing @Greg Jones from reading these forums you have probably already done all of my suggestions, I will return you to the regularly scheduled programming. 😀

Last edited:
It is possible that the small transmitters in the wireless probes just don’t have the power. If this is the case I might re-think the probe set you noted above. Just a thought.
I emailed Chris Young at Combustion, Inc. and here was his reply.

”Hi Greg:

We haven't tested that smoker, and it might be an issue. All wireless probes will run into some limits as the metal gets thick and there are no slight openings for signal to escape. While our antenna is more efficient and broadcasts at slightly higher transmission power, 10-gauge steel is pretty thick.

I certainly understand that might be a deal killer for you, but we can't get around physics.

Best regards,
Chris Young”

I emailed Chris Young at Combustion, Inc. and here was his reply.

”Hi Greg:

We haven't tested that smoker, and it might be an issue. All wireless probes will run into some limits as the metal gets thick and there are no slight openings for signal to escape. While our antenna is more efficient and broadcasts at slightly higher transmission power, 10-gauge steel is pretty thick.

I certainly understand that might be a deal killer for you, but we can't get around physics.

Best regards,
Chris Young”
One must appreciate a real response and not a script. I wonder if they are willing to let you be the tester at no cost to you until a result is reached. If positive excellent and if not you don’t bare to cost. Might be worth the try.

Great news! And what a day for it to Work! 🦃
Using the Bull today! I just got the Yoder assembled yesterday and the cover is on back order. I’m going to let it hang out in the house until the cover arrives.

5493739D-A0C8-409E-84B8-14ED4EF56359.jpeg
382D81B0-97B9-4849-972F-35D45285F2B1.jpeg

I totally missed that you were getting a pellet grill; I thought you were going back to a stick burner.
Hope it cooks as good as it looks - It's a beauty!

So I got the final upgrades installed today-a Tel-True thermometer that ‘should’ be worthless on a pellet grill, but I think they rock just the same. Also SS shelf upgrades inside and outside the smoker. It’s been treated with ACF-50 to fight rust, just waiting on the back ordered cover before I move it outdoors! I also installed Blacklock gasket on the pellet hopper-the main grill hopper already has a seal gasket on it.

79B88697-84FB-48D7-A3E5-905249AE3E3F.jpeg
D5F5674E-5567-4810-96E1-3B5AFC1D36CF.jpeg

Last edited:
So I got the final upgrades installed today-a Tel-True thermometer that ‘should’ be worthless on a pellet grill, but I think they rock just the same. Also SS shelf upgrades inside and outside the smoker. It’s been treated with ACF-50 to fight rest, just waiting on the back ordered cover before I move it outdoors! I also installed Blacklock on the pellet hopper-the main grill hopper already has a seal gasket on it.

View attachment 18088View attachment 18089
Wow, @Greg Jones; that is awesome! I’m envious. Still haven’t decided what we’re going to do at the new house. I’m leaning toward a 380X, but looking at that Yoder has me second’guessing that choice.

I’ll be interested to hear how the Yoder works as a hot grill. That is my big need as I’ll likely keep the RT-340 for smoking brisket, ribs, pork butt and chicken. I will need something that can sear a steak or tri-tip with ease.

I am a fan of the drop feed system.. eliminates so many issues with that alone. Looks fantastic with those stainless grates.

Looking forward to the fire up & master cook series :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back