Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
As a bit of background info, I now have WAY too many outdoor grills/cookers at a point where I want to downside stuff, while upgrading my game at the same time. My relevant inventory includes a Wyldside, a Matador, a Bullseye, a RT-340, a RT-700 w/smoke box, and two propane griddles. I also have a Camp Chef outdoor stove w//pizza oven, a PK grill, blah, blah…

Thinking about putting up for sale my most used grills (Bullseye, RT-340, RT-700), and Camp Chef pizza oven) for a Yoder YS640S with the wood fired (pizza, etc.) attachment. Less grills for me, me more versatile, or not? Thoughts on why this may/may not be the thing to do?

As a bit of background info, I now have WAY too many outdoor grills/cookers at a point where I want to downside stuff, while upgrading my game at the same time. My relevant inventory includes a Wyldside, a Matador, a Bullseye, a RT-340, a RT-700 w/smoke box, and two propane griddles. I also have a Camp Chef outdoor stove w//pizza oven, a PK grill, blah, blah…

Thinking about putting up for sale my most used grills (Bullseye, RT-340, RT-700), and Camp Chef pizza oven) for a Yoder YS640S with the wood fired (pizza, etc.) attachment. Less grills for me, me more versatile, or not? Thoughts on why this may/may not be the thing to do?
Bad idea!
There's no Yoder section here on the forum.

@Greg Jones I know exactly what you are talking about and am in kind of a similar situation. I have way too many cooking devices from a hobby that has sorta gotten out of hand.
I mainly use an RT-340 and would not think about getting rid of it.
I have another, brand new unopened RT-340 still in the box and bands. (Bought it instead of upgrading to a bigger recteq thinking two small ones might be nice and give me twice the cooking space)
I have a Weber Genesis II four-burner gasser used maybe a half dozen times.
Also an older Weber three burner gasser, used it for awhile but it is now in storage.
Weber Smokey Joe for camping, used a few times.
There is also a Vision ceramic kamado, medium that I have not used since I got the first recteq.
Also have an Acorn metal kamado, small size, new, never used it. Did put it together, but never ever lit it.
Bought a Kamado Joe Jr. last fall and never used it. Wound up giving it to my brother.
I have a small 17-inch Blackstone griddle I used a few times.
About a month ago I bought a Pit Boss Sierra three burner griddle I have used once. Not really into it.
Also have a Country Smokers portable, tabletop pellet grill...again new, still in the box.
And just last Friday I brought home what will probably remain a keeper...Coyote Portable Gas Grill. It is amazing. All stainless steel, weighs 55lbs. Not only should it last me forever, it is built like a tank and is simply lovely to look at. I have opened it, but not used it yet...but I will.
So, it is kind of like a disease...want something, buy it then realize I did not need it, simply acting on a want, and at my advanced age I should know the difference in a want and a need, but apparently not.
So, keep us updated on how the selling of old stock goes. I might follow your lead and part with a few of mine, but not upgrade to a Yoder...could not justify that, just downsize to get some of these out of the way.
Attached is a photo of the Coyote. It is almost too pretty to use, and seems to just fit the Blackstone Prep Cart.

grill6.JPG

About a month ago I bought a Pit Boss Sierra three burner griddle I have used once. Not really into it.
Same here. I was going to donate my older 36” Blackstone to another organization, but they didn’t want it because they have a gasoline/propane storage policy that makes it problematic. I’m not yet sold on the Sierra either.

I came very close to buying the Yoder as follows:
  1. Built in USA
  2. Built like a tank
  3. Nice feature set
Ultimately I am here because:
  1. Price of admission for a grill smaller than mine is $1K more.
  2. My buddy with a Yoder complains about rust all of the time
  3. When he's not complaining about rust, he complains about the weight moving it around.
  4. You're mandated to go through a retailer and paying local "market price"
I get the whole "thinning the herd" thing though. I have a lot less space than many of you and with four different cooking appliances already (and eyeballing others), space and maintenance is becoming a real thing.

I had the Yoder before I bought the Bull, it started to rust within 6 months and it was not due to neglect or banging or scratching the finish. I am in a dry climate and rust should not happen. For the amount of money spent, you would think it would hold up for at least 1 year...NOT! I will never buy a steel grill again, all of mine are currently stainless and no signs of rust anywhere. As for the performance of the Yoder, it was good, just as good as any I have owned. It did not stand out above the rest in any function of the BBQ, grill, smoking or searing. Was it worth the $2300, no it was not. I do not regret buying it but if you can live with the issues that most owners are dealing with, then go for it. I, for one will never buy another Yoder.

"That's all I have to say about that", Forrest Gump

Dang. @Greg Jones I knew you had several grills but didn't realize it was that many. Hot dang! :D

Just from a maintenance point of view, I'd most certainly thin the herd as well, but clearly I'm not cooking nearly as much as you seem to be. The RT-700 does most of my needs. I also have custom-built tripod for my fire pit which I can use to cook over wood. The only thing I'm still considering adding is a Blackstone griddle but this would serve a dual purpose to use around the house but also while out camping.

Yoder I very much considered too, but the price was just hard to justify vs the RecTeq back when I bought mine. I didn't even know about the rusting issue until recently, which makes me a bit sad to hear because the brand does seem really good.

As for a forum. I thought about spinning up a Yoder forum sometime back but noticed they already have a company forum themselves - though it seems pretty neglected and rather dead.

Dang. @Greg Jones I knew you had several grills but didn't realize it was that many. Hot dang! :D

Just from a maintenance point of view, I'd most certainly thin the herd as well, but clearly I'm not cooking nearly as much as you seem to be. The RT-700 does most of my needs. I also have custom-built tripod for my fire pit which I can use to cook over wood. The only thing I'm still considering adding is a Blackstone griddle but this would serve a dual purpose to use around the house but also while out camping.

Yoder I very much considered too, but the price was just hard to justify vs the RecTeq back when I bought mine. I didn't even know about the rusting issue until recently, which makes me a bit sad to hear because the brand does seem really good.

As for a forum. I thought about spinning up a Yoder forum sometime back but noticed they already have a company forum themselves - though it seems pretty neglected and rather dead.
OUCH! :ROFLMAO:

You're mandated to go through a retailer and paying local "market price"
I’m not sure that’s a negative, at least compared to one’s buying options for sourcing a recteq (none). Some Yoder dealers appear to be willing to cut a deal, and me driving to make a pickup instead of a delivery is an option also. I’m more concerned about the potential for rusting than the price.

What do you think about the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro? I would have to give that a serious look if I were looking today.
I really liked the idea of this when I saw it since the pellet grills don't put out very much smoke. I figure if it works good, more manufacturers will start including this in their grills. Who knows, maybe Yoder, Lone Star Grillz and Pitts & Spitts will start doing it. Then I will probably consider adding another one.

I'm also curious to see how that RIPT wood chip grill works if that will provide better flavor or not.

Last edited:
I really liked the idea of this when I saw it since the pellet grills don't put out very much smoke. I figure if it works good, more manufacturers will start including this in their grills. Who knows, maybe Yoder, Lone Star Grillz and Pitts & Spitts will start doing it. Then I will probably consider adding another one.

I'm also curious to see how that RIPT wood chip grill works if that will provide better flavor or not.
I think what Camp Chef did with their windwood pro is a game changer. You can obtain similiar results with a smoke tube filled with wood chips and pellets but wood chunks are better. I think if other grill companies can(not sure if they have a patent or something on that), they will copy this in some way. I won't be surprised if RecTeq did at some point in the future.

I looked at Yoder when I was looking to replace my old worn out Genesis gas grill and I had decided to give pellet grills a try. But ultimately for me, I couldn't justify spending $1k more on a grill that most definitely will rust. Maybe there is some tricks to keeping the rust down...maybe Yoder forums would show that. But when I researched what you're looking at, I saw stuff about rust all the time.

I understand the need to downsize and have more with less.

I think I have a pretty good set-up with a Bull, Bullseye, Weber Kettle and a Camp Chef Yukon 2 burner I use for deep drying and have a griddle for. As of now, there really isn't anything I feel like i need to add to be able to do some kind of cooking I like to do. I even have the griddle for the Bullseye but since getting my Camp Chef, i haven't used it but still nice to have.

If you don't mind spending a lot, I'd probably look at Pitts and Spitts or Mephmis pellet grills. Those may not be made in the USA any longer though, not sure.

Some Yoder dealers appear to be willing to cut a deal...
That is yet another unfortunate thing about living in Commiefornia. The rest of the country is willing to deal. Out here, even car dealers still try and pull the "dealer markup" nonsense. I went to the local BBQ retailer that carries Yoders and saw that they were quite comfortable adding an extra few hundred bucks for their "service". Bear in mind it was adjacent to a mall with Tiffany, Neiman Markus, Nordstrom, and the like and just assumed all of their clientele were silly rich people. In all fairness that's probably accurate as I left without buying a thing. I may be silly, but I'm a long way from being rich.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back