Bull Thinking about getting the Smoke Daddy Magnum P.I.G. Cold Smoke Generator

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I see most people drill a hole on the right side of their RT-700 to install this smoke generator. One thing I'm curious about is will it work if I install it in the probe port hole on the left side?

Also, if you own one of these and have it installed on an RT-700, what are your impressions of it?

Thats a different idea, didn't think of installing there. I just felt like maybe the smoke would more evenly disperse before getting sucked out the chimney if it was located under the drip pan.

Honestly I haven't used mine since I was posting about it a while back. It just seems like a $300 white smoke maker. I couldn't get it to work. I emailed the place that makes it and followed their i structions. After that didn't work, I even drilled more holes in the bottom to give it more air, no luck. The idea is great because you can get a true cold smoke, but didnt work for me.

If you wind up getting it, please post back of your results. I posted pics in a other thread of what my install looks like if you haven't seen it: https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/smoke-daddy-anyone-whats-your-experience.865/

What are you trying to cold smoke? I've had good luck cold smoking cheese with just a couple pellet tubes and the bull set to run the fan for air circulation. Set a pan in with some ice as a heat sink if needed.
20200503_070511.jpg

20200503_094947.jpg

Hey @MoreWaggingLessBarking - I'm one of those that has the SmokeDaddy Magnum PIG on the right side of my Bull. I did that because it was the easiest and my thought was the smoke would go in and reverse flow back out the chimney. The one downside of this is you burn through fuel faster because I have to keep my pump around 60 to 75% running to push the smoke in far enough so it gets the food on the left side of the grill. So if you had on the left side, you could keep the pump on a way lower setting and save fuel. You just have to add an extension so the heat is not under the controller in some way because it can get very hot. I also like the right side of the grill so I could still put on my grill cover which I can but tight. So its up to you how to do it.

As far as recommending the smokedaddy, I love mine. I just used mine over the weekend for spare ribs. I don't use mine all the time. I still use smoke tubes at times when I don't want to maintain the smokedaddy. I said this in the other thread mentioned above however perhaps other did not read what I had said or ignored me.

SmokeDaddy's instructions are wrong and not sure why they tell people to use it the way they do. The way I do it is I fill the canister up close to the top with all charcoal. If you have a chimney to get the charcoal going, even better. I do not at this time. I light with a propane torch for a couple minutes and then turn the pump on high. I leave the bottom piece off and put the top piece on but sideways to allow some air flow there to get the charcoals going. Once the charcoals are hot and white, by this time, the charcoals will have shrunk some and I will add one or two wood chunks. Sometimes I have to chop the wood chunks slightly smaller to fit but wood chunks is the way to go. This will produce a TBS and NOT the puffy white smoke. If you add chips in, you will get more smoke yes but some will more white so I for the most part, use chunks. Think of this like a small small weber and how you have more charcoal to wood chunk ratio. That's why I put so much charcoal in the canister and add a wood chunk or two about every hour. This method is definitely the way to use this cold smoker. You get TBS and great wood/charcoal flavor. Is it like using a weber kettle and their taste, no, I won't go that far but it definitely makes a difference over longer cooks. Is it worth the money and all the extra effort? I'm not sure about that to be honest. I have gotten great results from just a smoke tube. One thing I do with smoke tubes is I put pellets(hand full or two) in, then a hand full of wood chips and pellets and chips and so on. So that way besides the pellets, you also have a some actual wood chips in there producing a better smoke taste.

So @JohnDS - try using the smokedaddy this way and see how it goes for you.

@MoreWaggingLessBarking if you are convinced about buyinga smokeaddy, I would suggest you go directly to their website as the unit is cheaper.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/magnum-p-i-g-cold-smoke-generator/

I actually got 25% off because being part of the RTGOOA facebook group. I don't know if they still off that discount but maybe worth looking into. The discount at the time I believe made the sale around $150. It appears smokeaddy has raised the price on the smokedaddy. I know it is a good seller for Dennis from SmokeDaddy. Without the discount, I'm not sure if I would of pulled the trigger but I had the money and went for it.

We're all about a Smoke Tube
1/10th the cost, no cutting / drilling to mount it and ours last for up to 4+ hours
Smoke Tube 3.jpg

Smoke some different Cheeses with it just this evening
5 Cheeses on 5 June.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back