Show us what you're cooking...

Smoking a ~3# chuck roast today. Doing a little housework, football on in the background, good tunes to listen to, and some cold beer waiting for me when I get my work done!

Used horseradish mustard as a binder, then just SPOG with a little smoked paprika. Got started a little later than I wanted, but don’t have anywhere to be so just going to roll with it. Started at 225 but I will gradually bump it to 275 just move things along a little quicker later this afternoon.

7042F780-5D64-4B89-A04E-6E0EE715144F.jpeg

D5D97FD8-31AF-4E69-A69F-6B8A455C2CBC.jpeg
So, it turned out really good. Took way long but I got a late start. The lady isn’t happy about eating so late, but I’m hoping the TLC makes up for it all…

3801E056-E52F-4CE7-AEA3-57111BDA2C46.jpeg

Last edited:
My Christmas dinner rib roast…Costco…choice. Turned out great…according to our guests.

I “slather” all over with W sauce. I dust/rub some “Steak Dust Seasoning” all over. I make a paste with 2 pkgs of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix and spread it only on the top. Cooked at 300F to 130F. Let it rest an hour. Put it in a 500F oven to crisp the top. Had it in a few minutes longer than I wanted. Had to scrape a little of the overdone bark off. I should’ve kept my eye on it. Probably only needed 3-5 minutes. It was closer to 8. 😬

The Steak Dust Seasoning used to be a Durkee brand product from Sam’s Club…years ago. Current brand I have is branded by Monarch. I don’t remember where I got it because I haven’t been to Sam’s Club in several years. You can get the Durkee brand on Amazon I think. 🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0735.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_0752.jpeg

FYI, I just got back from a Costco run and the Wagyu (American Angus) at $6.49/lb, was plentiful. The Prime Grade full packer Briskets were in ample supply at $4.99/lb. I picked up several AWs so I can wet age them in advance of the SuperBowl. The Costco pellets were also in great supply at $12.99 ea. Enjoy.

IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_0674.jpeg

It looks great, but bologna must be an acquired taste as I’ve never cared much for it. As a kid, my mom would make me bologna sandwiches to take to school and I usually traded them off to someone who liked them. No accounting for taste, I guess.

I sometimes stop in Lebanon PA for smoked baloney, there’s a place called Seltzer’s that makes it although I eat it like summer sausage, good stuff. My FIL used to live on the stuff.

I sometimes stop in Lebanon PA for smoked baloney, there’s a place called Seltzer’s that makes it although I eat it like summer sausage, good stuff. My FIL used to live on the stuff.
Been wanting to try this, now it is on the to smoke list. Have always like a fried bologna sammie. Looks great. Temp and ~time?

I cooked it at 225 four about 4 hours. Gently score the meat then apply favorite rub. I used mustard binder and Plowboys yardbird rub. Was looking for the bark vs IT. I will slice it today about1/4” thick and vacuum pack in packs of four. Can do Sammie’s or as breakfast. Pic was from a previous cook.

IMG_0916.jpeg

So I did these pork short ribs on the 380x. Never had them before, wow what a flavor bomb. I could eat St Louis ribs every day but these guys are amazing. Took them to 200 degrees.

Did something different I never do and rubbed the day before and set in the fridge. Got a great tasting bark. Does anyone do that with their full racks?

Simple mustard binder with Chupacabra Chop Haus and Honey rib rub.

View attachment 20793

View attachment 20794
So impressive! I’ll need to find some to try.

It looks great, but bologna must be an acquired taste as I’ve never cared much for it. As a kid, my mom would make me bologna sandwiches to take to school and I usually traded them off to someone who liked them. No accounting for taste, I guess.
Did you grow up on Oscar Mayer bologna? There's some really good ones out there, not the sliced and prepacked type. A good deli will give you a slice to taste before you buy, so no real commitment.

Did you grow up on Oscar Mayer bologna? There's some really good ones out there, not the sliced and prepacked type. A good deli will give you a slice to taste before you buy, so no real commitment.
Not sure of the brand my mom bought, but it was one of the common pre-sliced varieties of the time.

Not sure of the brand my mom bought, but it was one of the common pre-sliced varieties of the time.
I was fond of Oscar Meyer Bologna and later my PA heritage led me to Selzers Lebanon Bologna.
Fortunately I can find that locally.

Could you share your process? The chicken looks great!
Simple really.
Spatchcock with olive oil and Goyo Adobe, black pepper..
180 degrees (Lo) 45 minute then raised to 365 until internal of 165.
The Cookin’ pellets Longhorn blend a bit strong, I prefer the “perfect mix” for chicken.

Although Longhorn works really well for beef.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back