Show us what you're cooking...

Since this is a forum about grilling, figured having a thread to show of what we are or about to be cooking is in order. ;)

For this labor day weekend, I'll be doing a reverse sear on these four ribeye steaks using my Rec Tec Bull pellet grill this Saturday.

View attachment 67

I'm still thinking about doing a brisket, maybe on Monday using the method @Xicanoink pointed out in his introduction thread.
My first Tri Tip (Wild Fork Chicago)
So pleased. Re-order shortly!

B4E43893-2DF3-4A4B-9E44-F02298F35647.jpeg

BCD3CCD4-EACE-4857-895D-982D838DB13E.jpeg

29516756-CD25-40DF-B0DD-32F25F646491.jpeg

3BDED4C6-A745-4EBE-8E18-451572A12C7C.jpeg

15325CDE-345E-4359-BDFA-E5328440D701.jpeg

89977E76-2C45-470D-A30C-0BFC0C3547FA.jpeg

I just subscribed to “Annual membership” with Wild Fork @ $29.95 annually which gets me free shipping on all orders above $35, which is easy to do. (Chicago).

MoreTri Tip, St Louis ribs and ground Wagyu coming Friday.

Put a 3-1/2# chuck roast on the grill at noon local for a low-and-slow brisket-style cook. Starting temp was 200F. Aiming for a 5:00 pm finish and will let my Combustion Inc Predictive Thermometer dictate temperature adjustments. It is 43F outside and breezy, so decided to start at 200F rather than my normal LO (180F) for smoke flavor.

It sure is nice to be able to monitor both grill and protein temps from the comfort of my warm house. And, yes; the Recteq app is working just fine today…but, it is Thursday. ;)

A photo or two will follow when I pull the chuck roast for its rest.

Screaming for mashed potatoes and a river of gravy.
Looks delicious!
Any takeaways from the cook?

Screaming for mashed potatoes and a river of gravy.
Looks delicious!
Any takeaways from the cook?
Yeah, mashed spuds and gravy would have been nice. We had some basil pesto pasta instead.

One take-away was that I hit an unexpected stall with the chuck roast; haven’t experienced that in previous cooks of small protein chunks (this was 3.5 pounds). It stalled at 145F for better than half an hour, so I wrapped it in pink butcher paper and the temp rise resumed shortly after. Probed at 195F and it wasn’t quite ready. About 15 minutes later, it was 203F and probed butter soft.

Didn’t use the Bull today. Got out the griddle, sear station, and the gasser, to do a little seafood combination plate (salmon and scallops) with charred veggies and fried rice.

View attachment 21000
Ohhhhh yeahhhhh! Now that’s my kinda Pacific-Northwest-style dinner; salmon and scallops with grilled asparagus and fried rice. Nicely done, @SmokeZilla, nicely done!

That is truly gorgeous !
What was the detail of your cook ?
Thank you! Smoked it at 200 for the fist 8 hours. After it hit 170 I wrapped it in butcher paper and turned it up to 250 to finish off. Then put it in the oven at 170 till we were ready to eat about 7 hours later. Turned the oven off after about 5.5 hours into the 7 hours for it to cool.to 140. Turned out perfect. Seasoning is salt, pepper and garlic powder. Done about 6 this way now always turns out great.

Thanks for the reply @RTFfan

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

250 "to finish off" internal temp ?

In oven -wrapped or unwrapped?

Thank you

Thanks for the reply @RTFfan

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

250 "to finish off" internal temp ?

In oven -wrapped or unwrapped?

Thank you
My bad. I pulled it at 204 and it was probe tender and I left it in the butcher paper in the oven.

Also I trimmed alot of the fat off before cooking. Incase you have not done one previously. It was about 11 lbs before trim

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back