Show us what you're cooking...

Looks like a fence picket lol
Close, LOL! It’s a plank I pulled off of a pallet to slow the airflow to the thin side. I saw a log used in a video and said what the hell?

Here we are at wrap. It’s 178.3°, but I caught the probe in between blinks.

IMG_4692.jpeg

Cooked up some Wild Fork hanger steaks on the Bullseye. Light coat of Kinders The Blend (SPG). Still getting used to the cast iron grate. Cooked at 400 but didn’t get the sear I wanted Pulled them at 125-128 internal. Will do 450 next time. Short of the sear they came out great.
IMG_6333.jpeg
IMG_6334.jpeg
IMG_6335.jpeg
IMG_6336.jpeg

I know this post is a few months old, @Pacman, but I wonder if you could help with specific ingredient quantities in your pastrami rub recipe? I've got a couple of SRF corned beef rounds in the freezer that I need to use up and I'd like to give the pastrami thing a try. Thanks for any help you can provide.
@Jim6820,

@Lager1829's post is most likely where I got my original recipe (I'm 99.5% sure that's where I started as it matches almost verbatim to my notes). I remember thinking that the coriander seed and coriander powder would be excessive/over-powering so I opted to go with 2 Tbs all coriander seed that I cracked along with the mustard seed and peppercorns, but did not pulverize/grind. I felt that the cracked spices would allow for better smoke permeation rather than a bunch of powdered herbs and spices along with adding some interesting texture to the bark.

I've used that pastrami rub recipe multiple times now, both with the pre-corned beef and a couple times where I did the whole corning process from scratch. I've been happy with the results. I'm torn if my brine/corning was really any better than store bought. I sure like the one day of soaking in water for a packaged corned beef versus a week of corning before I get close to smoking and eating.

@Jim6820,

@Lager1829's post is most likely where I got my original recipe (I'm 99.5% sure that's where I started as it matches almost verbatim to my notes). I remember thinking that the coriander seed and coriander powder would be excessive/over-powering so I opted to go with 2 Tbs all coriander seed that I cracked along with the mustard seed and peppercorns, but did not pulverize/grind. I felt that the cracked spices would allow for better smoke permeation rather than a bunch of powdered herbs and spices along with adding some interesting texture to the bark.

I've used that pastrami rub recipe multiple times now, both with the pre-corned beef and a couple times where I did the whole corning process from scratch. I've been happy with the results. I'm torn if my brine/corning was really any better than store bought. I sure like the one day of soaking in water for a packaged corned beef versus a week of corning before I get close to smoking and eating.
Thanks, @Pacman. That’s what I needed.

Cooked up a couple of tri tips for a gathering of friends. 180 on the RT709 until an IT of 110 then on the Bullseye at 475 for a sear until an IT of 128-130. Holy Gospel seasoning. Got a good sear on the cast iron grate.
IMG_6339.jpeg

Do they come that way?

No
They are the 1/4 Pound Dinner Franks sold at Costco
We Crisscross cut them and smoke them at 240 'till they reach 140 internal
J.Dawgs is a Hotdog joint here in our area
They Fire Grills their Dawgs .... and they are GREAT https://www.jdawgs.com/
We've grilled them at home on our Gas Grill
But we really like them smoked

No
They are the 1/4 Pound Dinner Franks sold at Costco
We Crisscross cut them and smoke them at 240 'till they reach 140 internal
J.Dawgs is a Hotdog joint here in our area
They Fire Grills their Dawgs .... and they are GREAT https://www.jdawgs.com/
We've grilled them at home on our Gas Grill
But we really like them smoked
@DenStinett, do you just cut them on one side, or on opposite sides? I need to try that technique.

One of six rakes of Babybacks we'll smoke tomorrow
Simple Hand ground Dehydrated Garlic and Onion, Sea Salt and Black Pepper
They'll go on tomorrow late morning:
SMOKED MEATS, TEMPS and TIMES CHEAT SHEET
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUCESMISC INFO
Pork RibsU-4.5hrs@LO+0.5hr@275 - W-1 hr@2756.0+/- hours200 - 210GOP&S for 24 hrs Spray/15 mins@3 hrs w/ ACV and Water
Wrap in Aluminum Foil w/ Smoked Lard after 5 hours rest 15 mins minimum

oops .... forgot the picture:
Labor Day 2023 Babybacks.jpeg.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Jim
They're only Crisscross cut on the one side
We smoke them Cuts up the whole way, but we do flip them when we grill them
The cool thing about the Cuts, it gets them more Smoke and they hold more Condiments ;)
I have to say, @DenStinett, your attention to detail shows. Those crosses are really uniform; they look like they were machine done. I admire folks who do that kind of precise work. (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back