Show us what you're cooking...

Costco Prime Ribeye riot mode.
PXL_20240307_224947157.jpg
PXL_20240307_224900154.jpg

Can you explain the meatballs cooking over the chili? Haven’t seen that before, I assume you break up into the chili after to avoid pre-cooking? Thanks
Correct. That’s 2.5 lbs of beef separated to cook a bit more quickly and pick up smoke. Drippings land in the simmering chili. Once it reached 165, I removed, crumpbled into chili and cooked for another hour or so.

I am doing my cast iron Dutch oven smoked chili today, I take 2 pounds of ground chuck and season it to my liking, formed as a big loaf in a disposable aluminum pan. When it hits 150 internal, I break it up with some tongs and mix it all up with the magic juices, I then pour all of that in the Dutch oven, which has had the remaining chili ingredients getting happy and smoky and cook for an additional hour or so. We like our chili over spaghetti noodles, topped with sharp cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.........YUM.

1710128989319.png
1710128479650.png
1710128530378.png

Appetizers, not shown included cheeses I smoked in January. Started off with my wife's riff on a bird's nest salad. 2.5lb "steak" from a 17lb standing rib roast smoked 225-250 on the RT-700. It took 1 1/2 hours to get to 118, dinner was late -- my guests are used to it --126 when I cut it. Also home made bread, twice baked potatoes, chimichurri sauce, grilled asparagus and mushrooms on the Napoleon built in. Wife made lava cakes that are covered with a chocolate port sauce.

View attachment 21349I’m losing light, but open faced stuffed peppers. Ground beef, basmati rice, hot breakfast sausage, tomato paste, Parmesan, Italian spices, mozzarella on top.
Nothing raw but the peppers, so I’m just giving it a little smoke and some heat for it all to come together.

Edit: Well Tornado watch and Severe Thunderstorm warning dictate I must remove the food a little earlier than I thought. Grill will get rained on without a cover, it would be nice if the tornado took it to OZ.
I recently read a “Stuffed Bell Pepper” recipe that didn’t use cooked rice. They did use parboiled rice and covered the casserole dish. I didn’t think there would be enough water/juice to cook the rice mixed in with the meat like that. Has anyone else tried that?

View attachment 21436View attachment 21434View attachment 21435

Appetizers, not shown included cheeses I smoked in January. Started off with my wife's riff on a bird's nest salad. 2.5lb "steak" from a 17lb standing rib roast smoked 225-250 on the RT-700. It took 1 1/2 hours to get to 118, dinner was late -- my guests are used to it --126 when I cut it. Also home made bread, twice baked potatoes, chimichurri sauce, grilled asparagus and mushrooms on the Napoleon built in. Wife made lava cakes that are covered with a chocolate port sauce.
Exquisite!!!

I recently read a “Stuffed Bell Pepper” recipe that didn’t use cooked rice. They did use parboiled rice and covered the casserole dish. I didn’t think there would be enough water/juice to cook the rice mixed in with the meat like that. Has anyone else tried that?
Cook them standing up so the juices can’t run away, you can pop the original top back on, or cut a piece of tomato off and use it as your cap. Cut an end off the tomato a littler bigger than the hole and tuck it in to keep your filling from falling out. Final 20 minutes uncover the dish so the peppers can roast a little. Had it that way most of my life. Open face is the new one for me.

Cook them standing up so the juices can’t run away, you can pop the original top back on, or cut a piece of tomato off and use it as your cap. Cut an end off the tomato a littler bigger than the hole and tuck it in to keep your filling from falling out. Final 20 minutes uncover the dish so the peppers can roast a little. Had it that way most of my life. Open face is the new one for me.
I may try that. Thanks.

Tri-tip went on the Trailblazer about a half hour ago at 180F (LO). Grill had been pre-heated for 30 minutes. Using the new Meater 2+ for temp monitoring with my TW Thermapen One for verification. The Signals is sitting this one out as I turn my tri-tip at 30 minutes to even out smoke and crust, and the cables can be a pain for doing that. After an hour at 180F, I will bump grill temp to 450F and will flip tri-tip end-for-end every 15 minutes until IT is 132F. Total cook time should be just about 2.5 hours.

IMG_2663.jpeg

Seasoned with Jim’s Brisket Rub (my own SPOG+ concoction) over a yellow mustard binder about 4 hours ago and kept refrigerated until it went on the grill.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back