Show us what you're cooking...

@Greg Jones 4 hours of pellets is about $2, unless you’re being really fancy with your pellets. What do you think 4 hours in your Joule costs?
Looks great btw, the economics of the situation really got my attention.
Probably not a lot more than running the two fans on the smoker! Seriously though, electric is really cheap in most parts of Kentucky. The kids are now gone but we still live in a 4-bedroom house, all electric, 2 HVAC units, 2 water heaters, I’m retired and the wife works from home so we are almost always home and using electricity. Our electric bill for November was $151.

I’d estimate pellet costs to be a little higher as well. Eyeballing my hopper, I’d say I used 10# of pellets yesterday for 8 hours of cook time and I usually pay around a dollar a pound for pellets, so 4 hours on the smoker would cost around $5.

Sure! I’m not a fan myself but this does taste delicious. It’s no bake and I just deep dish it, there are 5-6 layers. No ones ever complained about it, it’s very rich.

Not my recipe, just found this one awhile back:

https://comfortfoodathome.com/no-bake-banana-pudding/
Thank you. Here in the SC Lowcountry, banana pudding is a typical bbq dessert. I have been buying a half-sized pan of pudding from a good bbq joint nearby for my big cooks. I figured I’d investigate making my own because my wife absolutely hates it when the pudding we buy has ripened bananas (e.g., starting to turn black and mushy). So thanks. I’ll give it a try.

…my wife absolutely hates it when the pudding we buy has ripened bananas (e.g., starting to turn black and mushy).
Agree 100%! Pudding is (unfortunately) a common way to get rid of ‘ripened’ bananas, but it’s a serious fail for me also. Just find another use for them or throw the damned things away!

Thank you. Here in the SC Lowcountry, banana pudding is a typical bbq dessert. I have been buying a half-sized pan of pudding from a good bbq joint nearby for my big cooks. I figured I’d investigate making my own because my wife absolutely hates it when the pudding we buy has ripened bananas (e.g., starting to turn black and mushy). So thanks. I’ll give it a try.
It is here too in GA but I have the diabeetus… I stay away from that stuff. Biggest thing I’ll mention is make sure to let the cream cheese sit out and soften well or you’ll be beating for an hour to get rid of the clumps. Otherwise pretty easy.

I’m the same I prefer greener bananas lol.

OK - not so much cooking, prepping...

I buy marinated pork from HMart often. It's often $6/lb down to $4/lb when it's on sale. $4 is not bad, but pork shoulder has been consistently on sale here for $.99/lb. Aside from pulled pork, cocinita pibil, tacos, sausages, etc. I've decided to use the last two shoulders for Korean marinated pork. HMart is kind enough to provide the recipe for the marinade on their site:
2lb Pork belly Sauce: Red pepper flakes 2tbsp, Soy sauce 2tbsp, Mirin 2tbsp, Gochujang 3tbsp, Corn syrup 3tbsp, Minced garlic 1tbsp, Minced ginger 1tsp, Sesame oil 2tbsp, Minced apple 2tbsp, ground pepper

I'll be deboning the shoulder, using the slicer and marinade and then freeze them in 5lb batches for future meals.

Edit: https://www.hmart.com/recipe/post/grilled-spicy-pork-belly/ same marinade for belly and shoulder.

My first time ever smoking salmon on the 340. Wife said it was the best she has ever had, so that is a plus.
Served with some seafood gumbo.
(We made a quick trip to Pensacola and brought back some fresh stuff from Joe Patti's)

salmon.jpg
salmon2.jpg
gumbo.jpg

Looks great! I love all seafood and my wife is allergic to shellfish, and dislikes fish, so I don’t have the opportunity to cook much of either here. I used to cook this pre-pandemic when she traveled a lot, but now things have changed and she now seldom travels. 😩

…and liver pudding, grits, hoppin’ john (made with field / cow peas…not black-eyed peas), red rice, hushpuppies, etc. 🤭

That said, liver (aka country) pudding ain’t too different from scrapple.
I made Yorkshire pudding and it blew my kid's mind that there was no pudding to be had - they're popovers.
What's liver pudding? I love liver, but like Greg's wife - mine has an "allergy" to it so I only get it when we're at a restaurant that has it on the menu.

But then, you saw the light!!!
Actually acquired an ex-wife 😂 when I got out of the Army. Never left though, just kept moving further away from Atlanta. Now there’s almost nowhere left to go.

…and liver pudding, grits, hoppin’ john (made with field / cow peas…not black-eyed peas), red rice, hushpuppies, etc. 🤭

That said, liver (aka country) pudding ain’t too different from scrapple.
Island sea peas are what I use! Buy them from Marsh Hen, formally known as Geechie Boy Milll .My family always used to use the play on words of Push Huppies`! Speaking of which, the best hush puppies in the Low Country are at Seewee restaurant, north of Charleston on RT 17 heading toward Georgetown. Stellar restaurant that, so far, has avoided being commercialized by the tourist trade. BTW, love me some scrapple also!

I made Yorkshire pudding and it blew my kid's mind that there was no pudding to be had - they're popovers.
What's liver pudding? I love liver, but like Greg's wife - mine has an "allergy" to it so I only get it when we're at a restaurant that has it on the menu.
By and large, it’s pig liver, lips, pieces parts, and some shoulder meat. It’s ground up, mixed with spices, and piped into a large (2” diameter) casing. I’ve seen some people use liver pudding to make “dirty rice” (Cajun style).

In some parts of the south, especially North Carolina, it’s called livermush. And they use cornmeal as a binder. It’s more like scrapple.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livermush

In the SC Lowcountry, there’s no cornmeal in it. They use cooked rice. It can’t be fried because it “melts down” like bulk sausage would. Livermush and scrapple are typically made into loaves, sliced, and fried on a flattop. Liver, aka country, pudding won’t hold that shape. It is often sliced cold and served on crackers. I like mine cooked in a small frying pan and served on grits.

Island sea peas are what I use! Buy them from Marsh Hen, formally known as Geechie Boy Milll .My family always used to use the play on words of Push Huppies`! Speaking of which, the best hush puppies in the Low Country are at Seewee restaurant, north of Charleston on RT 17 heading toward Georgetown. Stellar restaurant that, so far, has avoided being commercialized by the tourist trade. BTW, love me some scrapple also!
Be careful…somebody might call you a homeboy knowing all of that. 😄

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobondur
Back