Show us what you're cooking...

I made them once.... ONCE!!!
Not really worth the effort, but fun to do for the experience. When we go to MX there is this wonderful little old lady that comes in and makes the tortillas and has a line of people 20-something deep, and it's worth the wait. I live in/near a sanctuary city - LOTS of Mexican supplies/groceries all around, including tortillas so fresh the packages are still sweating on the inside.

My first attempt at smoked tacos de cabeza was pretty amazing.

SPG rubbed, doubled up the smoke tubes, smoked at 200-250° until IT was 165°. Filled a foil pan with beef broth, some dark beer, an onion, and ton of minced garlic. Covered and braised cheeks until IT was 210°, and then held them there for a couple hours.

Dunked corn tortillas in the juice and browned them. A little cheese, cilantro, jalapenos, and a squeeze of lime juice.

View attachment 20745View attachment 20743View attachment 20744
I knew better than to look. Looks great now I am hungry 😋

This time last year my wife, daughter, and son-in-law spent 11 days in Oaxaca. Amazing. I’d go back every year if someone would drive us. Picture from the road to our B&B and the view from the back of the B&B.

The food there was absoluty amazing!

IMG_1132.jpeg
IMG_0983.jpeg

Last edited:
There's talk on another board about this extinct rub called Carne Crosta and it's apparently hella-good. Distinguishing features are shrooms and coffee. So just for giggles I mixed up Montreal, McCormick UMAMI seasoning and instant coffee. 4-1-1 ratio. It takes away the Montreal pop and adds a deep earthy undertone. I highly recommend this if you're just looking for a change. Definitely doing this one again. Tonight it was on a Prime Rib.

There's talk on another board about this extinct rub called Carne Crosta and it's apparently hella-good. Distinguishing features are shrooms and coffee. So just for giggles I mixed up Montreal, McCormick UMAMI seasoning and instant coffee. 4-1-1 ratio. It takes away the Montreal pop and adds a deep earthy undertone. I highly recommend this if you're just looking for a change. Definitely doing this one again. Tonight it was on a Prime Rib.
Todays St Louis project !

DE135685-4400-45A9-A308-0F70A5D02706.jpeg

BC2F5395-211B-44A5-8936-08985E7D2D52.jpeg

D5437EC6-0F87-4101-B37D-26C2435DE093.jpeg

3DF20A56-BC46-4BFB-80D4-F2F66A984178.jpeg

EF36A71B-DF52-4202-A9A1-3E5FA58C4589.jpeg

Needed a quick easy meal the other night. Found Zatarain's andouille sausage and some peppers on sale. Grabbed a couple onions. It didn't suck. Should have chopped more garlic...

QYLwwMnl.jpg

yAkUcxNl.jpg

Uh... Why aren't my images showing up?
Maybe didn’t let the fully load?

Probably one of the nicest briskets I’ve ever cooked. A small Choice brisket from Kroger, 11# and nearly perfectly shaped. About the only trimming I did was to one side where the oxidation from processing was. Eight hours in the Yoder at 275° until it hit the stall, then moved indoors to the Joule oven (electric is a lot cheaper than pellets in Kentucky) and cooked for four more hours to 203° I’d about given up on briskets because of the time and trouble when cooking for the two of us, but I’d buy more if I can find them under 12#.

IMG_2014.jpeg
IMG_2015.jpeg
IMG_2017.jpeg

Oh, as a FYI I used the MEATER 2 probe on this cook. So far, it’s the only wireless probe that has given me 12+ hours of battery life. Still like the tailed probes better for extra long cooks as I just don’t wonder if they will fail.

@Greg Jones 4 hours of pellets is about $2, unless you’re being really fancy with your pellets. What do you think 4 hours in your Joule costs?
Looks great btw, the economics of the situation really got my attention.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigfishri
Back