More smoke flavor

Zekedogg

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Hello all, I just purchased an RT-1250. I’m coming off a Weber smoky mountain so I’m used to a nice Smokey flavor. I know on a whole pellet grills are not known for a heavy smoke flavor.
What are my options to impart a heavier smoke flavor? I thought about a smoketube, I’ve also thought about the heavy D heat diffuser. What are you guys doing for heavier smoke flavor?

Hello all, I just purchased an RT-1250. I’m coming off a Weber smoky mountain so I’m used to a nice Smokey flavor. I know on a whole pellet grills are not known for a heavy smoke flavor.
What are my options to impart a heavier smoke flavor? I thought about a smoketube, I’ve also thought about the heavy D heat diffuser. What are you guys doing for heavier smoke flavor?
I took the easy route; I use a smoke tube with a mix of pellets and wood chips. I place it all the way on the back side of the grill where it gets air flow from the fan in the smoker. It is quick and easy, takes 10 minutes to get the tube ready to put in the smoker. I use an 18" tube that lasts for 4-41/2 hours which is perfect for the long cooks. Never used the heavy D but I have read about problems with wide temperature swings. Also getting the right size and type of wood chunks is a hassle I would not want. You can buy wood chips anywhere and they are cheap.

I have one of these for extra smoke: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMQ3PS1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

What are my options to impart a heavier smoke flavor?
Just my two cents...
  1. I was pleasantly surprised on the amount of smoke from good pellets, but a lot of people want more smoke. Try different pellets first.
  2. Some people with the cast iron deflector say that adding wood chunks/chips on top of the deflector works. I haven't tried, but it's an interesting idea.
  3. A smoke tube works well. I found that putting bigger wood chunks, not chips, surrounded by pellets, produces a good amount of extra smoke if that's what you're after. I've used post oak, hickory, green mesquite, and peach with good success.
In the end, most of the time, I just use decent pellets and I'm happy with the results in terms of smoke flavor. I bought the Recteq for decent results without high maintenance. I have not been disappointed. Plus the wife complains if I get too heavy-handed with the amount of smoke.

Just my two cents...
  1. I was pleasantly surprised on the amount of smoke from good pellets, but a lot of people want more smoke. Try different pellets first.
  2. Some people with the cast iron deflector say that adding wood chunks/chips on top of the deflector works. I haven't tried, but it's an interesting idea.
  3. A smoke tube works well. I found that putting bigger wood chunks, not chips, surrounded by pellets, produces a good amount of extra smoke if that's what you're after. I've used post oak, hickory, green mesquite, and peach with good success.
In the end, most of the time, I just use decent pellets and I'm happy with the results in terms of smoke flavor. I bought the Recteq for decent results without high maintenance. I have not been disappointed. Plus the wife complains if I get too heavy-handed with the amount of smoke.
What pellets do you use? Recteq sent me five 40lbs bags but I like to use a mix of hickory and a fruit wood like apple or cherry in my WSM.

I find that lower temps produce more smoke flavor. My normal start temp is 225

What pellets do you use? Recteq sent me five 40lbs bags but I like to use a mix of hickory and a fruit wood like apple or cherry in my WSM.
My favorite Lumber Jack, half hickory and half cherry. I just mix a bag of each one.

As I've posted in other threads, I personally can't get the smoke flavor I want. I've tried smoke tubes and cooking the brisket overnight on the lowest temp. The only method I've found that works for me is to cook it on my stick burner for 6 or so hours and then move it over to the RT. If time doesn't matter then I will do the entire thing on the stick burner. I found out it isn't just me. I always take a bunch of the leftovers to my coworkers and the first time I did it on the RT I had several of them ask what I had done differently. They wanted to know why there wasn't the good smoke flavor.

Life is a continuing series of trade-offs and compromises. Pellet smokers are not for everyone. I’ve used stick burners, electric, charcoal and pellet smokers. All had their pros and cons, but I was always able to produce a decent product. It took quite a bit of experimenting to optimize each type, but I think it can be done.

You don’t say what kind and type pellets you’ve tried, so there may be some opportunity there for you to experiment. I lean pretty strongly toward Hickory for most cooks, but that is a personal choice.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum and the RecTeq Family
We've always gotten a nice Smoke Flavor out of our Bull
No, it's not quite the Smoke we got from our old Stick Burner ....BUT, I get to sleep while the Bull does all the work
Here's the kind of Smoke Ring and Bark we get from an 8 hour "LO" (180) Cook with an added Smoke Tube full of Comp Blend:
1660155765458.png

Enjoy your 1250 :cool:
MEATSMOKER TEMPSMOKING TIMEMEAT TEMPRUBS OR SAUSESMISC INFO
Beef BrisketU@LO / W@270Start time 10:00 pmU@150 / W@200-205Garlic, Onion, Pepper and Salt Blend for 24 hrsU 8 hrs+/- (Paper)W 8 hrs+/- Rest 6+/- hrs

You won't achieve what a WSM produces. But, a pellet grill is a convenience option that produces tender juicy and consistent cooks without any attention during the cook.

I do miss my WSM for ribs, I am very happy with my 700 which is my second rec tec.

I put a handful of pellets and some charcoal on the heat deflector. Wood chips will probably be a good option too. I have a wsm and a 1250. You’re not going to get that same heavy smoke flavor on your 1250 no matter what you try. The smoke ring can be achieved with more salt prior to cooking. That is what pros do. I’ve had meat with very little smoke ring that had a perfect smoke flavor.

I put a handful of pellets and some charcoal on the heat deflector. Wood chips will probably be a good option too. I have a wsm and a 1250. You’re not going to get that same heavy smoke flavor on your 1250 no matter what you try.
GrillGrates also recommend putting pellets in the valleys of their grates for more smoke flavor.

I get plenty of smoke by using good pellets (Lumberjack), low temperature and using a smoke generator like Smokai (Recteq 700 plus Smokai 1 liter filled with pellets and chunks).

BBQ Collage.jpg

I too like a strong smoke flavor. Lower temps mean more smoke. So I cook at 225. Also I recently discovered that Bear Mountain hickory pellets impart a smokier flavor. I have also discovered that vacuum sealing, refrigerating or freezing, and reheating in boiling water does wonders for the flavor. Guess it is just an extreme form of resting.

Hi folks,
I had an rt-700 in the past but sold it because I couldn't get enough smoke flavor from it. Tried tubes, all kinds of pellets, some Don-something-or-other downdraft contraption to no avail. Well, I'm back to fight another battle with the rt-1070.
My thought/question: with any smoker with a second shelf, has anyone tried either wrapping foil around that top shelf or replacing it with a solid sheet (think baking sheet, or even a door kick plate) to help keep some smoke from escaping out of the chamber so quickly? And maybe that would help improve smoke flavor?
Thanks all,
Chris

With the 1070 I'd block off the vents on the back and put a stack on. Depends how bad you want to mod the grill. Me personally - I cook mostly on the top shelf because that's where the smoke is, and there is less impact from hot spots.

With the 1070 I'd block off the vents on the back and put a stack on. Depends how bad you want to mod the grill. Me personally - I cook mostly on the top shelf because that's where the smoke is, and there is less impact from hot spots.
Thanks for response and idea, SmokeOCD.

I start my cooks on super smoke for the first 1 to 2 hrs (depending on what I’m cooking, i.e. long cook of a Brisket vs shorter cook of a turkey etc… ) has always produced good smoke flavor. I also use Lumberjack pellets, I like to mix my own (hickory, oak and a fruitwood) last if I really want extra smoke, I will use a smoke tube, those work ok. Next I plan to try putting a chunk of wood on the pot cover, heard that works well but have yet to try it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back