Stampede More smoke flavor

Dan99

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi All did my 1st smoke on my 590 a 7 lb brisket, came out pretty good could have used more smoke flavor..I used Lumber Jack hickory pellets smoke @ 225 took about 10 hrs It had a nice bark,but could have used more smoke flavor. I really don't want to go the tube route..Any thoughts/idea's for more of the smoke flavor?
Thanks Dan

IMG_20200503_181200572.jpg

Put some chunks on top of the diffuser like i do, and many others do, no issues. Another option is running it at extreme smoke for an hour two based on preference.

For the chunks, just get them to light off and dial the temp back down to 225. It works every time. other than that, smoke tube it or get a heavy D smoke diffuser.

Hi All did my 1st smoke on my 590 a 7 lb brisket, came out pretty good could have used more smoke flavor..I used Lumber Jack hickory pellets smoke @ 225 took about 10 hrs It had a nice bark,but could have used more smoke flavor. I really don't want to go the tube route..Any thoughts/idea's for more of the smoke flavor?
Thanks Dan
I wanted more smoke and got the tube. Easy to use and works great. Alternate plan is to start for a few hours at 180 - lots of smoke, not much temp. The turn up the temp. Adds time but does increase smoke. ??

Hi OK Sounds like a plan. I really don't want to go tube route.
Thanks Dan

turn your dial all the way to the left it puts it on the LO setting, you will also see your display say Extreme Smoke". gets the temp down to the 180s. Now, please keep in mind if the grill is in the sun you may have issues just because the steel is absorbing that direct sunlight and your RTD probe sits right on the other side of the housing.

Hi OK Sounds like a plan. I really don't want to go tube route.
Thanks Dan
Where do you live Dan?
Thanks will try it next smoke for my ribs.
Dan
its a good option, I came from a stick burner and still use it to be honest. but a few chunks on top of the diffuser is really nice.

I have a 22" WSM the 590 is more for over nights.
Thanks Dan

I have a 22" WSM the 590 is more for over nights.
Thanks Dan
Ok, well if you doing it overnight you'll be fine. Just know that going to Extreme Smoke during the day out in the sun is tough. 590 overnight cooks is money then. Enjoy!

Hi all Many thanks for your fast replies. I forgot to mention my wife is not to crazy about smoked meat, with me I think my taste buds have left me. :)
Dan.
Next problem coming up is replacing the bar handle on the hopper side.
RT is sending a replacement handle , but I have to drop the bottom panel, to get to the bolts. Bottom panel is where all the electronics are..:unsure:

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_154810054_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20200502_154810054_BURST001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
Put some chunks on top of the diffuser like i do, and many others do, no issues. Another option is running it at extreme smoke for an hour two based on preference.

For the chunks, just get them to light off and dial the temp back down to 225. It works every time. other than that, smoke tube it or get a heavy D smoke diffuser.

Hi Again Chunks sound good also..How do I get them to light?
Thanks Dan

Good thing I stayed away from tequila last night or I might be blowing chunks right now!
Oh hey Dan, remove the grates, remove the drip tray. Place chunks of wood on the deflector
plate. Re assemble and start grill as usual.
Dan - do you know what day it is?

Hi Again Chunks sound good also..How do I get them to light?
Thanks Dan
I set the grill to 260ish just for a few minutes to get them to smolder or light, then turn the temps down, not have had an issue since.

Hi So they will continue to smolder @225 Will give it a try next time for my rib cook..I have lots of chunks for my WSM. Only 1 would do?
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Hi Might give them a try some time.
I'm very happy with Rec Tec 590. Best $$ I've sent on smoker in along time.
Dan

Hi So they will continue to smolder @225 Will give it a try next time for my rib cook..I have lots of chunks for my WSM. Only 1 would do?
Thanks Dan
I place a couple, all depends on your smoke flavor preference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back