Bull How to get that amazing bark on a brisket

My Briskets take approx 16 hours to cook
Trimmed to minimum Outer Fat Seasoned with a blend of ground Sea Salt, Black Pepper, and Dried Garlic
Unwrapped on the Bull on "LO" for 8+/- hours, until it reaches 150 internal
Wrap in Pink / Brown Butcher"s Paper back on at 270 for approx another 8 hours until it's 200-205 internal
Rap that in a Towel, dropped into a Cooler for no less than 2 hours (longer if possible)
It all but cuts itself
Brisket.jpg

Did someone say Bark and Smokering ?

OH .... and now I seperate the Point from the Flat, trim and smoke the two pieces as individual cuts
A bit more work, but the Meat comes out AWESOME !

Well hot damn! I will be trying this route next time. That meat looks delicious! Can't wait to try your "instruction"! thank you for sharing!

I suggest you not wrap by temp but rather when you get the bark you are looking for. I agree with @ccmjr77 that heavier seasoning will help build better bark.
I agree here. Wrap at desired color, not necessarily by temperature. I've wrapped anywhere from 160F to 190F based on brisket bark color.

My Briskets take approx 16 hours to cook
Trimmed to minimum Outer Fat Seasoned with a blend of ground Sea Salt, Black Pepper, and Dried Garlic
Unwrapped on the Bull on "LO" for 8+/- hours, until it reaches 150 internal
Wrap in Pink / Brown Butcher"s Paper back on at 270 for approx another 8 hours until it's 200-205 internal
Rap that in a Towel, dropped into a Cooler for no less than 2 hours (longer if possible)
It all but cuts itselfView attachment 9628

Did someone say Bark and Smokering ?

OH .... and now I seperate the Point from the Flat, trim and smoke the two pieces as individual cuts
A bit more work, but the Meat comes out AWESOME !

So do you pull the 2 pieces off at different times, since 1 is thicker than the other?

So do you pull the 2 pieces off at different times, since 1 is thicker than the other?
Each come off the Grill when they reach 200/205
Oddly enough, the Point is not that much thicker than the Flat when they are separated
Now to be clear, I am talking about trimming the Point off of the Flat along that middle Fat Strip that lies between the two Pieces
I'm not cutting the exposed Flat off of the Point

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back