RT-1250 Great smoke on 1250. I used the Smoke Daddy with my 1250 on a smoked meatloaf on Thanksgiving and the results were.....AMAZING!!

I won't argue with that. I think a lot of folks(including myself) are always looking to bridge that gap between offset/charcoal grill smoke flavor and the convience of a pellet smoker.

People's tolerance/desire for smoke flavor varies from person to person. Some are good with just the pellet smoke itself. I wasn't when I got my pellet grill(RecTeq Bull). I noticed right away a difference between the pellet grill and my cabinet smoker which was propane but I used wood chunks and chips for the smoke. So thus me going down the road of more smoke flavor like pretty much the point of this thread. There is so many threads like this not only on this forum but others. People who don't have a smoker before getting a pellet grill might be perfectly fine with the pellet smoke which is no doubt lighter.

For those who have the money, the heavy D or one of smokedaddy's cold smokers are great and work great! Obviously if there wasn't a market for them, then they won't exist.

But with those with your opinion(and seen this opinion many a times) that I already spent enough on the pellet grill/smoker, then I would suggest a smoke tube if you want to not spend much(can find a smoke tube for around $10 on amazon) but just make sure to alternate pellets and wood chips in the tube.

Pellet grills can get real expensive! One of the reason I got the RecTeq is because I felt through my research and my opinion has not changed 3 plus years later is because the value for what you get and the customer service and warranty.
I was brought up on a barrel wood smoker. Still have it & use it, occasionally. I already have a tray for smoking chips when needed from a gas grill i used to have. Just bringing up the point that for what you pay and see advertised, I'm a bit disappointed in smoke the pellets produce.

I won't argue with that. I think a lot of folks(including myself) are always looking to bridge that gap between offset/charcoal grill smoke flavor and the convience of a pellet smoker.

People's tolerance/desire for smoke flavor varies from person to person. Some are good with just the pellet smoke itself. I wasn't when I got my pellet grill(RecTeq Bull). I noticed right away a difference between the pellet grill and my cabinet smoker which was propane but I used wood chunks and chips for the smoke. So thus me going down the road of more smoke flavor like pretty much the point of this thread. There is so many threads like this not only on this forum but others. People who don't have a smoker before getting a pellet grill might be perfectly fine with the pellet smoke which is no doubt lighter.

For those who have the money, the heavy D or one of smokedaddy's cold smokers are great and work great! Obviously if there wasn't a market for them, then they won't exist.

But with those with your opinion(and seen this opinion many a times) that I already spent enough on the pellet grill/smoker, then I would suggest a smoke tube if you want to not spend much(can find a smoke tube for around $10 on amazon) but just make sure to alternate pellets and wood chips in the tube.

Pellet grills can get real expensive! One of the reason I got the RecTeq is because I felt through my research and my opinion has not changed 3 plus years later is because the value for what you get and the customer service and warranty.
How do you work a smoke tube? Do you have to light it or does it self ignite? Where do you put it in the cook? On the grill, drip pan, under the drip pan?

I don't use a smoke tube very often as overall I've been happy with the smoke flavor I'm getting from my 1250. When I use one, I pack chunks of wood (post oak, hickory, mesquite, peach, etc.) cut down to barely fit in the tube, and surround with pellets. I pack as tight as I can to maintain burn continuity. I blast it with a plumber's torch until the top couple of inches of the tube are red hot and let it burn for a good 10 minutes. If I still have flame when I'm ready to put it in the 1250 I just blow it out.

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_1050.jpeg

How do you work a smoke tube? Do you have to light it or does it self ignite? Where do you put it in the cook? On the grill, drip pan, under the drip pan?
I use a propane torch and light multiple times as it will go out. I like to let it go for about 15 to 20 minutes to make sure all the pellets are red hot(white) and will keep going. Sometimes it can be a pain in the butt.

I place my smoke tube along the back left of the grill where there is more air flow so it keeps it going(at least that's my thought process there). I use pellets and wood chips(not chunks). Though chunks maybe better, wood chips are just easier to get in and smash down.

The key with the smoke tube is kind of like getting charcoal going, make sure you give it ample time to get going an don't rush it.

I was brought up on a barrel wood smoker. Still have it & use it, occasionally. I already have a tray for smoking chips when needed from a gas grill i used to have. Just bringing up the point that for what you pay and see advertised, I'm a bit disappointed in smoke the pellets produce.
I do agree with this. I did a lot of research before purchasing a pellet grill but I don't ever remember seeing a lot about the smoke difference between pellet and another kind of smoker(even what I had which was propane using wood chunks/chips). But after I got it and noticed the (in my mind) lack of smoke flavor I was used to before it, that's when I really went down the rabbit hole. I blame myself for not researching that part but I just didn't know what I didn't know. Ray Carnes in his videos says it gives out plenty of smoke which in part is true but it is the kind of smoke. It does definitely depend from person to person and your background with smokers.

Overall though, all pellet grills are like this. Going back in time, would I have done it differently and bought a different grill, no. The convience and reliability of the RecTeq has been great for me! One other factor in this smoke flavor is when the grill is brand new, a lot of the "smoke" sticks to the walls and doesn't bounce off to the meat. Once a grill is more seasoned, that definitely makes a difference also.

Like most things in life, there is a trade off in pellet grills compared to stick or charcoal smokers. While the grills are expensive, I was coming from a Weber Genesis for grilling and getting a similiar sized Weber propane grill to the RecTeq Bull, is very similiar price. Actually, peeking at Weber.com, the summit grills I was looking at are WAY MORE expensive. I don't remember the price gap being that much difference but perhaps it was. I've had my Bull for coming up on 4 years.

The one grill that is pellet that I think has figured out how to bridge most of the gap(not the whole gap) is the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro with the slot you can add chunks/chips/chacoal in above the firepot that adds in that extra real(non processed) wood/charcoal. I would love if RecTeq someday adds a function like that to new grills. But i do say not completely bridging the gap. Hey Grill Hey has a video of that Camp Chef vs a gravity feed charcoal grill which they do still notice a difference but both were great.

Who says you can't get good smoke on a pellet grill.... smoked a turkey/ chicken sausage meatloaf on the 1250 with a Smoke Daddy diffuser. Holy Smoke!!
So it fits right over the burnpot with out any adjustments

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back