Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

Interesting thread.

I did some digging because that's what I do. I believe I found Rec Teq's auger motor supplier. It appears they will ship a few 2.5 RPM sample motors for a couple of hundred bucks + freight. I have not contacted them but I'm almost certain that is negotiable.

From the company:
"Sample policy: We can provide free samples for test, but the sample express freight cost should pay by client.
For gear box motor, as to the gear need to adjust according the rotation speed requirements, so the process for make only few samples is complicated, so we normally need to charge 200USD sample cost, and provide 5/6pcs sample for test. the sample cost can back to client if later have any further bigger orders."

They may very well stock 2.5 RPM units and ship 6 samples for the costs of freight. I'm not going to run with this any further, but if any of you are, here's a link to the supplier.
Shenzhen Haolun Electrics Co., Ltd.

Attachments

• SP6016.jpg
    SP6016.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
@ThatGuy you did better than I did. I found stocked motors listed elsewhere for about $88 each here. If you pursue this avenue I'd be interested.

For those waiting, Savannah Stoker never responded after the initial contact. I don't have a good feeling with the company so it's probably best.

I wonder if RT would give us a "Beta" tester discount? Free shipping would be better than nothing.

I apologize for the let down. While I personally feel the 2.5 RPM is the best choice. The 3.0 RPM is a good choice as long as low temp and smoke can be maintained when it's hot outside.

Keep me posted @Chris_G

I just spoke with the motor manufacturer. They are not willing to produce the 2.5 RPM motor without a significant commitment.
They recommended these guys, https://directigniter.com

However, they do not carry a 2.5 RPM unit. No Joy.
That didn't take long, thanks.

For $49 plus shipping the BFG auger motor looks like best deal price wise.

I don’t know if I would ever order a replacement auger for my RT-700, but for sure I would wait until I saw what recteq comes up with. If they are actually testing this themselves, they may have something to announce soon. Perhaps even as soon as this Saturday.
Agreed.
Please keep us posted.

Has anyone that upgraded the 700 Bull auger with the BFG2500 auger/fan tried the Bull at max heat to see if the PID controller would stop the heating of the grill?

Yes, maintaining a good smoke and fire at low and slow is important, but an equal or greater concern of mine would be how the Bull PID controller responds/controls the high heat setting with the BFG auger/fan. Is there a high or maximum PID temperature or similar that would stop the Bull from nuking or is the maximum temperature controlled solely by the mechanics and physics of the auger/fan?

the fan is the same for all grills i think. and the grills pid will stop the grill from going above your set point. it will easily hold 500 now. but on full i don’t know what it will top out at. that is my only concern i have about this motor so far. i plan to ask rec teq what they feel is a safe max temp and suggest that the put a limit on the full setting at that temp. kinda like a rev limiter for a car. i know it will easily get into the 6s for sure with this motor. i really like it. it heats up rapidly and holds at 180 or 500 steady or any temp in between. but i know someone out there would leave it on full and cause grease fires and warped parts. maybe even cause the stainless drum to rust out? like spiderman says with great power comes great responsibility. we are playing with fire after all lol

Has anyone that upgraded the 700 Bull auger with the BFG2500 auger/fan tried the Bull at max heat to see if the PID controller would stop the heating of the grill?

Yes, maintaining a good smoke and fire at low and slow is important, but an equal or greater concern of mine would be how the Bull PID controller responds/controls the high heat setting with the BFG auger/fan. Is there a high or maximum PID temperature or similar that would stop the Bull from nuking or is the maximum temperature controlled solely by the mechanics and physics of the auger/fan?
The auger fan will not affect cooking temp.

the grill seems to smoke the same as always, in the picture it’s running at 225 and settled in at that temp. im currently burning kingsford signature which doesn’t seem to produce as much smoke as pit boss comp blend. also got some tillamook for testing!

Attachments

• 124E3425-6918-436F-B054-C5D1CCB41450.jpeg
    124E3425-6918-436F-B054-C5D1CCB41450.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
  • 790FC3D0-B2E2-435D-96BD-197166FFECC1.jpeg
    790FC3D0-B2E2-435D-96BD-197166FFECC1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 132
the grill seems to smoke the same as always, in the picture it’s running at 225 and settled in at that temp. im currently burning kingsford signature which doesn’t seem to produce as much smoke as pit boss comp blend. also got some tillamook for testing!
I hate to ask but will it maintain at 200?

it will at 180. but i will set it to 200 when im done with the pork loins. no problem. if anyone else wants me to test something let me know. we may discover a problem i didn’t think about.
180 - 200 sounds good, thank you.

smoke output seems normal. i ran it at 275 for about 75min on pork and it held steady and let it run for awhile on 200 afterwards and it did just perfect. smoke output on 200 is in this picture

Attachments

• BC80C8D0-4F7B-457E-909A-A9914E88D080.jpeg
    BC80C8D0-4F7B-457E-909A-A9914E88D080.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
  • 3DF35EA2-0F15-4886-B04D-D6713461D751.jpeg
    3DF35EA2-0F15-4886-B04D-D6713461D751.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • 6C0331EF-4514-4BD1-8352-8F3C90D64B8F.png
    6C0331EF-4514-4BD1-8352-8F3C90D64B8F.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 7663C193-D6BD-467C-9194-243DE3EA1080.png
    7663C193-D6BD-467C-9194-243DE3EA1080.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 116
@chadinsc looks the the BFG 3.0 is in my future. Thanks so very much for being a test subject.

I'm gonna wait & see what other beta testers feedback is and RecTeq on any near future mentions on this.

For what I use my Bull for it does well but I am still interested in any improvements so long as it does not hurt existing performance. I don't even know how to change any existing settings as it has always worked perfectly aside from a few startup issues which I think were attributed to the ignitor adjustment. Kind of why I went for a RecTeq in the first place.

i would like to see what others think about it, if anyone does it. the only negative i have seen so far. is the other night i was cooking chicken at 300 and had a pan of queso cheese corn and a few others thing in it for tacos. and my wife went to add black beans to the pan and left the lid open along time, enough to get it down to 230 from 300. and when she closed it, it over shot to 340 but came back down pretty quickly. a stock grill probably would have handled that better, but i would just pull that pan off and shut the lid to avoid it personally. so anyone planning to do it? im naming mine the 700 magnum if chris can call his frankenstein lol. i like the 3.0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back