Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

im not sure what you got under the hood of Frankenstein but i will race you! lol. do you have a thread about the franken grill? i would like to see what you have done. i enjoy experimenting
Frankenstein has the Recteq WiFi controller with external antenna, Smoke Daddy diffuser. Auger motor was next but not at $100+

so this evening i ran a test on low and it actually worked perfectly. i think the reason it was unstable yesterday was because i had almost an inch of ash in my fire pot. i clean it every time i change foil and have never seen this much in the pot. i think it was from the high temp test burning so many pellets. but with a clean fire pot she is great with a minimum feed rate of 15. i ran for about 30 min and the lowest it went was 178 highest was 181!!!!

Attachments

• 4D21C491-9C30-4AEA-93C9-7D1314E78D22.png
    4D21C491-9C30-4AEA-93C9-7D1314E78D22.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 263172CC-7EB4-490C-96F6-D9F56E95E60E.png
    263172CC-7EB4-490C-96F6-D9F56E95E60E.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DEDAA2EF-833B-41A4-BACE-563756EA46CB.png
    DEDAA2EF-833B-41A4-BACE-563756EA46CB.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 111
@chadinsc I realize that you're happy with the low temperature but what about the smoke?

I have noticed that the Traeger smoke output is very little compared to the 680 / 700. I'm not sure why but that is one of those mysteries.

i will test that today. i have noticed it smokes more on startup. i think that’s because of the auger auto feed at shutdown cycle. i don’t think i can adjust that. any other test anyone wants me todo? no problem, i just got another 200lbs of kingsford for $52 so i will gladly waste a few

i will test that today. i have noticed it smokes more on startup. i think that’s because of the auger auto feed at shutdown cycle. i don’t think i can adjust that. any other test anyone wants me todo? no problem, i just got another 200lbs of kingsford for $52 so i will gladly waste a few
Thanks!
I appreciate your efforts, it's time consuming.

nah its easy with these grills. i ran that low test while watching tv eating blue bell dutch chocolate ice cream! its the perfect chocolate ice cream lol. any test you guys want to see just let me know. i have a few smaller pork shoulders from wild pigs i will do a long 225 smoke on to check stability soon and will share that.

Here is my latest find for an auger motor

I suspect the RT 3.0 RPM will be the least expensive. Still awaiting response from SS but I bet this is where they sourced their parts.

Why not install a Rheostat in the circuit so you can dial in just the RPM you want. That, and playing with the pellet feed should give you all the controllability you could want.

@chadinsc, have you tried Tillamook Ice Cream?
Decreasing the voltage via rheostat would increase the current, not good for controller.

I'm referring to putting the rheostat in the positive to the motor only. How would that effect the controller? I bow to ya'lls knowledge, I'm no electrical genius.

I'm referring to putting the rheostat in the positive to the motor only. How would that effect the controller? I bow to ya'lls knowledge, I'm no electrical genius.
I understand, it would increase current on the controller.
Current is inversely proportional to voltage.

i have not tried the tillamook ice cream but will be looking for it. and the rheostat idea may be great but i dont know enough about it to try that. the pid works great with the bfg auger now that the feed is set to 15. 10=flameout for me. but 15 rides smooth at 180. if i needed lower than 180 i would change my temp offset to think it was actually hotter inside than it actually is. im pleased with the bfg auger upgrade so far and will let rec teq know what i think in a few weeks once i have some slow and hot cooks done to give them my findings

Wow what a great thread. I’ll be watching this one for sure. Thanks Chad for your do diligence in testing. By the way, Tillamook Cookie Monster ice cream does not suck.

Last edited:
Ok I have my mouse over the order button to get the BFG Auger motor.
and as for the Ice cream
With all my years of testing and traveling the country. My recommendations.
1. Blue Bell
2. Tillamook
3. Umpqua

I, too, am waiting anxiously with my mouse over the Auger Motor... Another thing I didn't know I needed. This forum is proving to almost as expensive as my Tundra forum.

I'm living in the land of Blue Bell (the original factory is about an hour away) and was a HUGE Blue Bell fan until I had Tillamook. But you really can't go wrong with either. When I first came to Texas, Blue Bell made a "Double Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough" - it was AMAZING. Had two types of cookie dough and had a chocolate/vanilla ice cream swirl going on. They probably discontinued it because they realized I was going to die by over-consumption.

I, too, am waiting anxiously with my mouse over the Auger Motor... Another thing I didn't know I needed. This forum is proving to almost as expensive as my Tundra forum.

I'm living in the land of Blue Bell (the original factory is about an hour away) and was a HUGE Blue Bell fan until I had Tillamook. But you really can't go wrong with either. When I first came to Texas, Blue Bell made a "Double Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough" - it was AMAZING. Had two types of cookie dough and had a chocolate/vanilla ice cream swirl going on. They probably discontinued it because they realized I was going to die by over-consumption.
But, you will already be in Heaven before you die!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back