Your favorite brisket technique?

Non-expert opinion; your 3rd or 4th brisket is going to be your OMG experience. Don't quit because 1,2,3 didn't turn out great. My first few were spaced about a year apart because they were 'meh" - now I'm closer to one a month because I learned from the first few. Now it's something everyone looks forward to and it doesn't need to be drowned in bbq sauce like the first few attempts.

For best smoky flavor:
1. Cook at 225 at least until the stall is over. Lower temperature = more smoke
2. Use Bear Mountain pellets. I accidentally discovered recently that they impart a better smoke profile
3. After cooking let it rest a LONG time. Don't consume it right away.
4. Vacuum seal leftovers and freeze or refrigerate. Then reheat in the sealed packet in boiling water. The flavor just explodes when reheated like that. You might even want to cook the day before and seal and reheat as above.

I've had good luck with both Costco Prime, and Wild Fork prime briskets. Costco has the advantage of being able to look at it prior to purchasing. Wild Fork seems to be cheaper most times, but I guess in our current times.....you'll need to hold on to your hat when buying any meat. :oops:
I'm lucky, Wildfork is just down the street from my Costco!

So what's considered the "best meat"? I've only used the Costco Primes with mixed results, they seem to very an awful lot and I can't tell by looking at the pkg what they really look like.
The wagyu briskets at Costco are just a tad better IMO. I will get the wagyu if they are close in price. When briskets got out of hand earlier in the year the prime and wagyu were almost the same price. The wagyu price never went up much which was strange.

Weber grill has one of the best brisket trimming tutorials. It’s a YouTube thing, of course, but it’s worth the time to watch it. I have several time to make sure I’m getting it done right. Good luck!

There will be a million comments/opinions and at least as many posts telling you to search the forum for a million more posts/opinions.

For brisket #1 trim it carefully, but leave at least 1/4 inch of fat on top to protect the meat for a long cook. Don't go crazy; just remove the stuff you're never going to want to put in your mouth on in the mouths of anyone you like.

First time out, stick with Kosher salt, coarse black pepper and maybe some onion and garlic powder (you'll see this abbreviated places as SPOG). Apply the rub and let it sit for a while, but it's not super critical on brisket #1. Some people put a "slather" of everything from yellow mustard to more exotic things to help the rub "stick". For brisket #1, just add the rub. It really does stick to the already tacky raw meat. Don't coat the meat in rub so much that you don't see meat through the rub.

Cook at your preference of 225 - 275 (lots of different opinions here). I usually start at 225 for a couple hours (for more smoke on a pellet grill) and then move up to 250 for the balance of the cook. It will take a while depending upon the size/shape of the brisket to get to an internal temp of around 160 - 170 (I pay attention at 165) where you hit the "stall" where it seems like nothing is happening for like an hour. Lots of references to this as well.

When you start seeing the internal temperature starting to rise again, you may want to wrap the brisket in butcher paper or foil if that's what you have. Continue to cook until in the 195 - 205 range when the meat is "jiggly" and a probe goes into all parts of the meat with ease. I (and others) have an artificial number of 203 as that has never let me down.

Pull the meat, wrap and rest for at least a few hours. Some people wrap in blankets and toss in a big ice chest. I've done that or I've just parked with another layer of butcher paper it in an oven that isn't on.

There are many others here with MUCH more experience than me. I just know how I ventured down the same path and I and others were very pleased with my brisket #1, #2, #3, etc. Keep track of what you did and make at least a mental note of what you might change on the next cook.
Very sound advice. I find absolutely no flaws in it.

Only thing I would add is to practice this, or any brisket cooking method, on Chuck roasts. I was scared of brisket and ventured with the Chuck roasts because screwing up meat st $2.99/lb seemed smarter than $7.99/lb or more. Well, it turned out great. And I use a long slicing knife to cut across the grain to the greatest extent possible with Chuck roasts. After a couple of successful runs with the Chuck roast, I went ahead with brisket…and overcame my fears.

IMO and experience most people over think and agonize over brisket terribly. Trim it. Season it. Cook it fat cap to the heat till probe tender. I find it to be almost that simple. Buy choice or prime if you can but even lesser grades can be cooked successfully.

Use simple seasonings. S & P alone will work. Add some onion and garlic powder if you like. For that matter use any seasoning you like but I don't like sugar on brisket. YMMV

With pellet grills cook it on a low temp for an hour or two for good smoke flavor. Use a tube(s) if you like. Then turn it up to at least 250°F. 275° to 325°F will work fine or even better.

Cook it till probe tender. Much of the time I don't even bother resting. Slice it across the grain and eat.

Cook it in or over a pan if you want to catch the juices but ya don't have to.

Don't sweat the smoke ring or the bark or lack of either. It's the seasoning that determines most of the flavor.

Literally just tossed my first SRF Wagyu brisket on the smoker at 225. I did add a smoke tube with post oak chunks crammed in it. Most money I've spent on a brisket, but it was a work of art even before trimming. I sure hope I don't screw it up.

Rub was 4 tablespoons of kosher salt and coarse black pepper. 1 tablespoon each of granulated garlic, granulated onion, and paprika.

While it's a popular opinion to just go with S&P and maybe some garlic powder, I like the full banana rubs. Beef, especially brisket, has such a big bold, in your face flavor, that I think it is enhanced with big bold rub. I don't think you can overpower the big flavor of brisket, it's just so powerful. But, I agree, S&P and plenty of it, makes good eats.

My favorite to use has paprika, onion, and who knows what else.

Tip for that dry brisket flat you were not happy with:
Make up some dipping au jus. You can make some really good stuff with beef stock, the rub you used, a splash of soy sauce, dash of hot sauce and some bacon or beef fat, heated to a simmer for a bit on the stove. Serve it hot in a bowl on the side with the brisket or just dunk the slices before plating.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back