Your favorite brisket technique?

geneseohawk

I'm new to cooking brisket and would like advice on your tried and proven technique for cooking one. Temp? Wrap? Rub? Etc.... Thanks for any advice.

There will be a million comments/opinions and at least as many posts telling you to search the forum for a million more posts/opinions.

For brisket #1 trim it carefully, but leave at least 1/4 inch of fat on top to protect the meat for a long cook. Don't go crazy; just remove the stuff you're never going to want to put in your mouth on in the mouths of anyone you like.

First time out, stick with Kosher salt, coarse black pepper and maybe some onion and garlic powder (you'll see this abbreviated places as SPOG). Apply the rub and let it sit for a while, but it's not super critical on brisket #1. Some people put a "slather" of everything from yellow mustard to more exotic things to help the rub "stick". For brisket #1, just add the rub. It really does stick to the already tacky raw meat. Don't coat the meat in rub so much that you don't see meat through the rub.

Cook at your preference of 225 - 275 (lots of different opinions here). I usually start at 225 for a couple hours (for more smoke on a pellet grill) and then move up to 250 for the balance of the cook. It will take a while depending upon the size/shape of the brisket to get to an internal temp of around 160 - 170 (I pay attention at 165) where you hit the "stall" where it seems like nothing is happening for like an hour. Lots of references to this as well.

When you start seeing the internal temperature starting to rise again, you may want to wrap the brisket in butcher paper or foil if that's what you have. Continue to cook until in the 195 - 205 range when the meat is "jiggly" and a probe goes into all parts of the meat with ease. I (and others) have an artificial number of 203 as that has never let me down.

Pull the meat, wrap and rest for at least a few hours. Some people wrap in blankets and toss in a big ice chest. I've done that or I've just parked with another layer of butcher paper it in an oven that isn't on.

There are many others here with MUCH more experience than me. I just know how I ventured down the same path and I and others were very pleased with my brisket #1, #2, #3, etc. Keep track of what you did and make at least a mental note of what you might change on the next cook.

There will be a million comments/opinions and at least as many posts telling you to search the forum for a million more posts/opinions.

For brisket #1 trim it carefully, but leave at least 1/4 inch of fat on top to protect the meat for a long cook. Don't go crazy; just remove the stuff you're never going to want to put in your mouth on in the mouths of anyone you like.

First time out, stick with Kosher salt, coarse black pepper and maybe some onion and garlic powder (you'll see this abbreviated places as SPOG). Apply the rub and let it sit for a while, but it's not super critical on brisket #1. Some people put a "slather" of everything from yellow mustard to more exotic things to help the rub "stick". For brisket #1, just add the rub. It really does stick to the already tacky raw meat. Don't coat the meat in rub so much that you don't see meat through the rub.

Cook at your preference of 225 - 275 (lots of different opinions here). I usually start at 225 for a couple hours (for more smoke on a pellet grill) and then move up to 250 for the balance of the cook. It will take a while depending upon the size/shape of the brisket to get to an internal temp of around 160 - 170 (I pay attention at 165) where you hit the "stall" where it seems like nothing is happening for like an hour. Lots of references to this as well.

When you start seeing the internal temperature starting to rise again, you may want to wrap the brisket in butcher paper or foil if that's what you have. Continue to cook until in the 195 - 205 range when the meat is "jiggly" and a probe goes into all parts of the meat with ease. I (and others) have an artificial number of 203 as that has never let me down.

Pull the meat, wrap and rest for at least a few hours. Some people wrap in blankets and toss in a big ice chest. I've done that or I've just parked with another layer of butcher paper it in an oven that isn't on.

There are many others here with MUCH more experience than me. I just know how I ventured down the same path and I and others were very pleased with my brisket #1, #2, #3, etc. Keep track of what you did and make at least a mental note of what you might change on the next cook.
Solid information, @Pacman! No need to get too fancy with the first brisket; stick with the basics as outlined above.

@Pacman ’s advice is great! I would also suggest starting with the “Weekday Brisket” method from Meat Church with whatever rub you like. I use 180 degrees when it calls for 190 degrees, since 190 isn’t an option. This method is super easy and almost foolproof for a brisket newbie. It also turns out just as well as any other brisket, IMHO.

Good marbling will also make it more forgiving, and getting a Prime brisket can offer a little bit more insurance that it’ll turn out well. 😀

Good luck, and let us know how everything goes!

Fat side up or down?

I've done fat side up and down. I've been doing fat side up mostly these days as it seems like I get a slightly better bark on top. I can't say that it's made much of a difference for me. Because pellet grills are basically convection ovens, the smoke, air, and heat are being moved around a lot more than in a stick burner or more traditional smoker so at least IMHO I'm not sure it's as critical.

One thing that isn't really said often here is you will most likely think your brisket is "the best you've ever had" particularly if you're not living in Central Texas or similar places where BBQ restaurants actually put some effort into what they're serving as brisket.

Pacman nailed it, but I am a fat up guy on a pellet grill. I'm also a traditionalist (grew up in Central Texas), so it's the basic dalmatian rub for me (Salt and Pepper only). I did pick up some Blacks Brisket Seasoning last time I was in Lockhart, but honestly....it's just an expensive mix of salt and pepper.

I will tell you I used to be intimidated by Brisket, however after advice on this forum, and having cooked a couple, I will tell you it is easier than I imagined, it just takes time. Tons of ideas here. I dont think you will be unhappy no matter what you do.
I only season mine with Salt and Pepper, Fat cap up, although not sure it matters. I say go for it and you will be amazed at how it turns out!
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Tried a new technique the other day and will most likely stick with it. Started with my fist PRIME whole packer from Costco ($3.99 lb.). Rubbed with pepper and a small amount of Three Little Pigs brand Touch of Cherry. ( I eat low sodium/salt) First hour fat up at 350, the rest at 225.. No wrap of any sort till it was at 203-206 and probe tender, and pretty good and jiggle. Wrapped in foil then and towels and cut int it about 6 hours later. No juice at all in the foil wrapping all in the meat. Tender and juicy. Did not trim any fat at all but next time I will. Also basted with apple juice at about hour 8. Took 12 hours total cooking time. I do think that the fact that it was a PRIME cut made the most difference.

Tips from Harry Soo...
  • Buy the best meat
  • fat cap up will render and run down and hinder good bark building.
  • Prop up the bottom middle with a couple chunks of smoking wood to make the top convex to prevent juices from pooling which prevent bark building.
  • wrap with foil, paper won't contain juices until fat saturates it making it "waterproof", you lose a lot of broth.
  • spritz with water to keep it moist in the early part of the cook to facilitate the chemical reaction that creates a smoke ring.
  • re-hydrate the brisket with concentrated beef broth by slowly pouring broth over a hot brisket just removed from the smoker

So what's considered the "best meat"? I've only used the Costco Primes with mixed results, they seem to very an awful lot and I can't tell by looking at the pkg what they really look like.

I've had good luck with both Costco Prime, and Wild Fork prime briskets. Costco has the advantage of being able to look at it prior to purchasing. Wild Fork seems to be cheaper most times, but I guess in our current times.....you'll need to hold on to your hat when buying any meat. :oops:

So what's considered the "best meat"? I've only used the Costco Primes with mixed results, they seem to very an awful lot and I can't tell by looking at the pkg what they really look like.

The things I've read suggest that Snake River Farms Wagyu is among the best. Harry Soo also suggested trying a Creekstone Farms brisket.

While I really enjoy the challenge of brisket cooking, and trying to make a better one each time, truth be told, I prefer a prime tri-tip.

I'm new to cooking brisket and would like advice on your tried and proven technique for cooking one. Temp? Wrap? Rub? Etc.... Thanks for any advice.
I agree with most of the posts to your question and offer the following:
Start with a decent quality pellet. I prefer the RT Competition Blend or similar until you get used to the true flavor of the beef . Unless you like an agressive smoke profile, don’t try mesquite on your first try. Your family will never be the same and think everthying you cook in the future is too smokey. Use peach paper for your wrap. I appreciate the use of foil but it will entrap steam and ruin a great bark. I know some feel you will lose the “juice” with the paper however, if that is your fear put the brisket in an aluminum pan/tray after you wrap it and there isn’t much of a loss. Also, if you want an extra moist experience (typically not needed for Prime or Wagyu) consider injecting the brisket with Wagyu tallow. It melts just above room temperature and really adds a lot of flavorful goodness if needed. Most of all, Enjoy!

PacMan pretty much nailed it. Couple comments. Keep it simple, Salt and Pepper liberally (make sure you can enjoy the meat flavor which can be overtaken by rubs if your not careful). I cook at 235 degrees straight through fat side up and also put a weber pan with a can of beer in the back center of the grill for a moist cook (you may need to add another can after 5 hours or so). I also have injected brisket with a beef broth (injections every 1 to 1.5 inch) which has come out extremely well. Lastly I take the brisket off at 165 degrees and wrap in foil. If I injected brisket with broth then I add some to the foil wrap. I cook to 203 degrees, then let it rest....What has been described above is a combination of RecTeqs recipe and Steve Raichlen's Brisket receipe. I attached the link to Steves recipe. Lastly document what you do and keep your recipe changes up to date. Let us know how it turns out. Thanks, I think I will go get a brisket now to smoke in the coming days. Remember "IF Your Looking, you ain't cooking....Keep the lid closed....

https://barbecuebible.com/2015/08/07/brisket-made-easy/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back