Other than common things like pulled pork, brisket, etc, what's your favorite thing to smoke on the RecTeq?

What temp do you use for the pizza? Do you use a pizza stone or anything?
For Papa murphy’s, I smoke 25-50 cooler than directions call for just to give it some time to take on more smoke flavor. Takes a bit longer but worth it. In winter months, I add a barrier to the Papa Murphy’s paper/fiber tray it comes on or it tends to burn on bottom. I just use an insulated aluminum pan or pizza stone, but in summer months, right on the grates. Homemade pizza goes on the stone.

Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Jalapenos....

No pics. Will get some over holidays. This is a must have request from my family. If i fire the smoker up for a dinner, it is on the request list. Whether tgiving...xmas.. or steaks for father's da for my pops.. all want these as an app.

What i learned is the longer you cook them the more bite you can take out of them. So, i throw some in for an hour longer than others for the kids..(not as spicy). They really seem to hit a cooked state and not burn beyond that. I have the smoker box and so the ones that go in early slow cook after being moved in to the smoker box (top shelf) while the others smoke.

Very simple. Large Peppers.. clean them out. Cut them in half creating almost a little boat. I buy blocks of cheese we like (Smoked cheddar, smoked spicy choices - like pepper jack, jalapeno jack, etc) and place a perfect sized wedge inside the jalapeno half. Note... by using blocks versus shredded they melt better as shredded cheese has an additive that prevents it from sticking in the bag which impacts the melting as well).

Wrap these bad boys with thick cut bacon. Temps are to preference. I have done them from low all the way up to 300 degrees depending on my timing. Low and slow is the best for sure.

We've been doing a lot of Costco Meats
Their little Beef Roasts (2or3 packs) are GREAT
The Boneless Pork Chops and Skinless Chicken Breast from the Meat Dept. are real tasty
We smoke the entire package, and that's 5 - 6 meals (of each) for Momma and I
Their Pork Roasts, the ones that come in those 4-packs, are amazing

I think chuck roast is an interesting change. I've been practicing on them before I take on a whole brisket. Chuck roast is cheap...at Costco. I've tried smoking them the whole cook and I've tried wrapping. What I found worked best, for me, was my 3rd time I only smoked the chuck roasts at 275 degrees for 2 hours. Then I wrapped them and finished the cook. Seemed like it was only another 1 and 15 minutes. I had put some Dr. Pepper in the aluminum pan with the roasts when I wrapped. yes...Dr. Pepper. You can use any liquid you prefer. I had heard people using Coke before. I wanted to try Dr. P. :)

Anyway, this 2 hours smoke, then wrap and finish gave the best results. That said, I also kept the probe in the meat and let it get down to 145 - 150 degrees before I cut it. It sliced like a good brisket would. You could shred it and make street tacos with it as well. I like that a lot too.

Last note...this "resting" thing. I had recently come across a YouTube video where the presenter was adamant about letting meats rest until they get down to that 145 - 150 range. He said that's the only way the juices redistribute sufficiently and the meat is sufficiently warm to eat. He stated he's had a brisket rest almost 4 hours to get down to that level. He rested it in a big cooler (no ice...room temp) and that probably had something to do about the time. I haven't rested meat in a cooler yet. I usually wrap it and/or wrap it in an aluminum pan on the the counter top. But after trying that resting method this past weekend with 2 chuck roasts, I'm convinced that guy was on to something. the only way you'll know is to try it yourself. After Thanksgiving, I plan to do that same resting method with a pork butt. I'm hoping that doing so will help it shred/pull easier.

We've been doing a lot of Costco Meats
Their little Beef Roasts (2or3 packs) are GREAT
The Boneless Pork Chops and Skinless Chicken Breast from the Meat Dept. are real tasty
We smoke the entire package, and that's 5 - 6 meals (of each) for Momma and I
Their Pork Roasts, the ones that come in those 4-packs, are amazing
Us too.

I'm not a chicken breast fan, but the wife likes them. I have been cutting them in half, thickness wise, to get more area for smoke penetration. Then I cook them at 180 until they hit about 140. Finish them off on my Weber to char the outside a little.

We often freeze it and pull it out for tacos, nachos, Caesar salads, etc...

...After Thanksgiving, I plan to do that same resting method with a pork butt. I'm hoping that doing so will help it shred/pull easier.
My butts always get double wrapped in foil, then a bath towel, then thrown in a cooler for 1 hour minimum. I prefer to leave them in there for 2 or 3.

One time I forgot about one and left it for 7 hours. It was still hot enough that it was uncomfortable to pull barehanded.

Us too.

I'm not a chicken breast fan, but the wife likes them. I have been cutting them in half, thickness wise, to get more area for smoke penetration. Then I cook them at 180 until they hit about 140. Finish them off on my Weber to char the outside a little.

We often freeze it and pull it out for tacos, nachos, Caesar salads, etc...
Excellent idea about freezing them for later. I'm like you...I'd prefer to cook the whole pack at once. Lots of room on the RT-700. No sense to just cook enough for one meal. :)

My wife and I make homemade pizzas from scratch on it all the time now.. I just flip the grill grates upside down. Now she doesn't like it in the oven anymore. I make almost all my sides on the RT as well, fantastic! Once I started making pizza's I realized the sky is the limit, I also make sausage pinwheels on it, salmon, pretty much everything.. she loves how she doesn't have to cook anymore. lol
Looks amazing. Why do you do the pizza on those upside grates, versus on the standard stainless grate?

Some of my favorites:
Bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese, with a Bourbon glaze.
Bourbon brownies.
Jalapeno poppers.

I did a deep dish pizza in the cast skillet. 450F for 30 minutes. Turned out great. Papa Murphy's has pellet grill instructions on their website, it turns out much better than the oven. I was motivated by this forum to try meatloaf and I now like meatloaf again. Stuffed pork loin. Those are some of my favorites.
Thanks for the tip!

Looks amazing. Why do you do the pizza on those upside grates, versus on the standard stainless grate?
It gets hotter and gives it a nice crispy crust, kinda like a pizza stone. Also I use freshly made dough and it keeps it from sagging into the grate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back