Other than common things like pulled pork, brisket, etc, what's your favorite thing to smoke on the RecTeq?

Brownies, carrots, cabbage, beef jerky, pizza, meatloaf, hard boiled eggs.
Carrots are probably my favorite non meat item

Sweet potato. Love it...

Attachments

• EC905D14-EA9D-4A92-855D-A0D2DFFF4F1A.jpeg
    EC905D14-EA9D-4A92-855D-A0D2DFFF4F1A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
This is interesting. Nuts and olives get a smokey flavor?
They sure do. Still working to perfect smoked almonds with a little salt. Olives & artichokes pick up smoke quickly and can get overly smoky (i never thought I'd ever type those words) beyond about 45 min. For a non-fancy olive like sold in jars at Costco, I'll drain the liquid & save it, then once the olives are smoked I put them back in the jar with the saved liquid. They will taste smoky & delicious for a long time - if you can keep from quickly eating them.

We enjoy making smoked meatloaf. Beef ribs are also fun when we can get them. I did a prime rib earlier this year that was killer.
Meatload is on my list of things to try. What recipe do you use?
I've actually done the Whole Foods catering for Christmas (Friendsmas, no family nearby) the past few years and have done their prime rib instead of turkey. I've got one in the freezer I'm planning to smoke for this year.

I had heard Aldi's had good frozen pizza so I picked one up and threw it on the gas grill. Came out like one would expect from frozen pizza. I would think you'd get the same results from the smoker on high.

In the smoker I use either a cast iron skillet. or pizza stones. I like how I can see the pizza without opening the cover on the 340.
How can you see the pizza without opening the cover?
I've got a decent sized cast iron skillet, but the pizza I currently have in the freezer still won't fit on it. What are your thoughts on using the flat side of the Grillgrates instead?

How can you see the pizza without opening the cover?
I've got a decent sized cast iron skillet, but the pizza I currently have in the freezer still won't fit on it. What are your thoughts on using the flat side of the Grillgrates instead?

The 340 has no chimney, just the holes in the back. With a flashlight you can see the pizza easy enough.

I don't see why the flat side of the grillgrates won't work although I've never seen grillgrates in person. Certainly won't hurt to try them.

Smoked Cheze-It's. 1 box of Cheze-it's, 1/3 cup of olive oil (not virgin), seasoning/rub to taste if you want. Mix in pan (disposable works great), smoke at 225deg for about 1.5 hours, stir every 15 minutes. I like the white cheddar and especially the cheddar jack flavors without any additional seasoning.

Smoked Cheze-It's. 1 box of Cheze-it's, 1/3 cup of olive oil (not virgin), seasoning/rub to taste if you want. Mix in pan (disposable works great), smoke at 225deg for about 1.5 hours, stir every 15 minutes. I like the white cheddar and especially the cheddar jack flavors without any additional seasoning.
Oh my goodness that sounds amazing.

+1 on the smoked CheezIts. They are fantastic! I include about 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce in with the oil & seasoning recipe Y2K mentioned above. I first made them with regular CheezIts, then wife suggested white-cheddar, and have been using those ever since. Very simple. In fact, I made a double batch just yesterday!

Attachments

• 0D839BDA-180C-4351-884B-364DCA06E12E.jpeg
    0D839BDA-180C-4351-884B-364DCA06E12E.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 132
+1 on the smoked CheezIts. They are fantastic! I include about 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce in with the oil & seasoning recipe Y2K mentioned above. I first made them with regular CheezIts, then wife suggested white-cheddar, and have been using those ever since. Very simple. In fact, I made a double batch just yesterday!
Oh man those look so good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back