Other than common things like pulled pork, brisket, etc, what's your favorite thing to smoke on the RecTeq?

Meatload is on my list of things to try. What recipe do you use?
I've actually done the Whole Foods catering for Christmas (Friendsmas, no family nearby) the past few years and have done their prime rib instead of turkey. I've got one in the freezer I'm planning to smoke for this year.
I don't follow a written recipe, just kinda eyeball it with some usual ingredients. RT has a recipe for Smokehaus meatloaf that is close to what we do. I free form the load and cook on a mat - not in a loaf pan. Love getting the ketchup glaze to caramelize.

I've tried salmon but it just dries out.
Try again.;)

I cooked my first 2 fillets from Costco the other day. Brined in fridge overnight with water, salt, brown sugar, and bourbon. Padded dry, rubbed with a little olive oil and apple flavored BBQ rub. Cooked at 225 until IT of 140.

It was perfect.

As for sorta non traditional stuff, Cheez-its, pizza, regular and deep dish, Italian beef, chili, Scotch eggs, salsa, armadillo eggs, meatloaf...

The current family favorite is this hot Italian dip. I smoke it on low for about an hour, then crank it up to 350 until the top browns up a little.

You people are the best! You never fail to inspire me. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2394 (1).png
    IMG_2394 (1).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
It was great. My wife liked the almonds the best and I loved the cheeze-its. I had them on low for 2 hours.
I took the olives out after 30 minutes, and they barely had any smoke flavor. I may leave them in longer next time.

I'm trying to eat healthy and lose some weight so these amazing cheeze-its are not helping. :)

Walleye. While walleye is probably the most delicious freshwater fish - almost everyone fries it - deep fried or pan fried. I did a 10 min soak in heavy cream/ milk bath to kill the fishy taste (trimethylamine - natural irganic that gives fish a “fishy” taste). Then 450 for 20 min with my special fish season - friggin delicious.

Turkey breast is on my list of things to try. For pizza, do you think max temp would work for a frozen grocery store pizza? I'm thinking of trying it with GrillGrates.
Just follow the pizza box temp directions. I add about 3 minutes on top of the time.

Bourbon butter glazed pineapple. Take a whole pineapple and cut it into 1” rounds leaving skin on to hold it together. Get grill to 450. Put a small pot on the smoker. Add 1 stick of butter, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/2 cup bourbon, 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks. Glaze the pineapple with that as you flip pineapple over. Once the pineapple is cooked, eat it. It’s wildly great.
4D4703C5-7F93-405A-8D89-52BF02D77996.jpeg
55B32517-B6B8-49DB-AE52-33C80A14B379.jpeg

Spatchcocked chicken, (Aldi usually has them for 89 cents a pound), comes out better on my 340 than any other cooking method I have tried. Dry brine with kosher salt for a few hours, up to half a day. Brush off excess salt, then season all over. Place skin-side up and cook at 275 until the thickest part of the breast reaches 155 degrees. Crank up the heat for a few minutes if you want the skin crispier. Remove at 165 degrees and let rest for a few minutes. Depending on the size of the chicken, cooking time can be 1 to 2 hours.

This method has worked perfectly for me dozens of times. The dark meat is fabulous while the white meat remains tender and moist with just the right amount of smoke flavor.

i like to roast root vegetables with olive oil, Parmesan and rosemary. Usually @375 for 45-60 min but if you like more smoke, try @225 for 30 min and then @375 for 30-45 min.

dice root veg (any potatoes including sweet, carrot, beets, parsnips etc.) 1/2 inch dice. Toss with olive oil, plenty of real Parmesan shredded cheese (not the powdery stuff in the shaker bottles), kosher salt, rosemary. Spread on a foil lined baking sheet 1 layer deep and cook as above. If I use sweet potatoes, I like to add some craisins (dried cranberries)for a little holiday flair.

I've tried salmon but it just dries out.
We smoke a lot of Salmon
Super simple
Full Filet, SLATHERED in Butter (half Stick per Filet), Grill at 250 for 1 - 2 hours 'till the thicker piece is to 160:
Salmon.jpeg

This one Filet is two Meals for Momma and me

We've done a handful of different things, but we both really dig the "Onion Bombs"
Onion Bombs.jpeg

Onion Bomb.jpeg

Purely delightful !

Bourbon. After chilling it in the fridge overnight to minimize alcohol evaporation, I pour it into a roasting pan, set the temp to LO, and smoke it for 45min - 1hr. CAREFULLY funnel it back into the bottle, cork it, and let it set for at least 24 hrs. It makes a good "neat" drink with just the right hint of smoke

Nachos. Did 1/2 pulled pork and 1/2 pulled chicken which I had already smoked.

About every other week we just get Papa Murphy’s pizza and toss it on the smoker too: the BBQ chicken turns out the best on the smoker

Smoked Mac n Chz is also a favorite
6B698271-3F28-4034-A778-38BD856A1A61.jpeg

Bourbon butter glazed pineapple. Take a whole pineapple and cut it into 1” rounds leaving skin on to hold it together. Get grill to 450. Put a small pot on the smoker. Add 1 stick of butter, 1/2 c brown sugar, 1/2 cup bourbon, 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks. Glaze the pineapple with that as you flip pineapple over. Once the pineapple is cooked, eat it. It’s wildly great.
I LOVE doing pineapple and cinnamon. I noticed you left the skin/shell on. Does that improve things?

Spatchcocked chicken, (Aldi usually has them for 89 cents a pound), comes out better on my 340 than any other cooking method I have tried. Dry brine with kosher salt for a few hours, up to half a day. Brush off excess salt, then season all over. Place skin-side up and cook at 275 until the thickest part of the breast reaches 155 degrees. Crank up the heat for a few minutes if you want the skin crispier. Remove at 165 degrees and let rest for a few minutes. Depending on the size of the chicken, cooking time can be 1 to 2 hours.

This method has worked perfectly for me dozens of times. The dark meat is fabulous while the white meat remains tender and moist with just the right amount of smoke flavor.
This is something I want to try. I see them all the time at Whole Foods (never noticed them at Aldi).

Papa Murphy goes right on the paper they supply. Directions are on their website. Frozen pizza I just follow the oven temps and times. You can put the frozen directly on the grates.

My wife and I make homemade pizzas from scratch on it all the time now.. I just flip the grill grates upside down. Now she doesn't like it in the oven anymore. I make almost all my sides on the RT as well, fantastic! Once I started making pizza's I realized the sky is the limit, I also make sausage pinwheels on it, salmon, pretty much everything.. she loves how she doesn't have to cook anymore. lol

Attachments

• tempImagex7f95R.png
    tempImagex7f95R.png
    15.5 MB · Views: 101
  • tempImagepon7ZK.png
    tempImagepon7ZK.png
    14.9 MB · Views: 100
  • tempImagewqupyL.png
    tempImagewqupyL.png
    13 MB · Views: 92
  • tempImageAn1D4N.png
    tempImageAn1D4N.png
    15.2 MB · Views: 100
  • tempImage58zAZE.png
    tempImage58zAZE.png
    15.9 MB · Views: 94
Papa Murphy goes right on the paper they supply. Directions are on their website. Frozen pizza I just follow the oven temps and times. You can put the frozen directly on the grates.
We did two Papa Murphy's in our Bull this evening
Pre-heated to 475 and cooked them for 18 mins @ 425
We always add a bit of extra Mozzarella Cheese before baking
Just as easy as cooking the in the Oven
Came out great, with that "Brick Oven" taste
Gluten Free, Papa's Favorite for Momma:
Poppa's Favorites.jpeg

The Hog Heaven for the head Hog:
Poppa's Hog Heaven.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back