Show us what you're cooking...

Hope they start showing up at my Costco soon.

ferrari exhaust GIF
Looks like reverse gear works fine! šŸ˜…

Nice! Iā€™ve never been pheasant hunting myself. Iā€™ve always been an upland game/quail and grouse hunter myself. Pheasants donā€™t do well in non-glaciated soil, so we donā€™t often see them in SE Ohio or Kentucky. But my dad, my gosh he, and his dad, hunted pheasants every year in South Dakota until the days they couldnā€™t do it anymore. I still have pheasant feathers gifted to me that make the best cat toys ever!

Nice! Iā€™ve never been pheasant hunting myself. Iā€™ve always been an upland game/quail and grouse hunter myself. Pheasants donā€™t do well in non-glaciated soil, so we donā€™t often see them in SE Ohio or Kentucky. But my dad, my gosh he, and his dad, hunted pheasants every year in South Dakota until the days they couldnā€™t do it anymore. I still have pheasant feathers gifted to me that make the best cat toys ever!
My family hunted them when I was little kid in the 1970s. I remember seeing a few go through our old two row, tractor mounted corn picker. The late 70s/early 80s blizzards wiped them out.

I wish our DNR would put the effort into bringing them back that they put into wild turkeys. I can't throw a rock into our woods these days without hitting a damn turkey.

I have hunted several put-N-take places over the years, but wild birds are a whole different thing.

My family hunted them when I was little kid in the 1970s. I remember seeing a few go through our old two row, tractor mounted corn picker. The late 70s/early 80s blizzards wiped them out.

I wish our DNR would put the effort into bringing them back that they put into wild turkeys. I can't throw a rock into our woods these days without hitting a damn turkey.

I have hunted several put-N-take places over the years, but wild birds are a whole different thing.
My gosh, the exact thing happened here (in SE Ohio)! The ice storm of ā€˜77 and the blizzard of ā€˜78 took out all the quail. After that, dad and I raised quail from eggs for years, and turned them out on our farms. The quail we raised were ā€˜tameā€™, but they would mate with the few remaining wild birds and start the natural cycle over again. Then one day dad caught a crew from out of state on our farm trapping our wild birds to take them out of state. My dad got (rightfully so) mad as could be at me over the years, but this was the most pissed I ever saw him!

i got an email notice recently that ODNR will be releasing pheasant in Ohio again soon.

For the first time since Covid started our local Costco had Prime full packers today, $3.99 for prime, $3.49 for choice. 2 weeks ago the choice was $3.99.

IMG_2365.jpeg

Probably going to be too hectic last minute for pics, so hereā€™s a before pic. Lobster bisque, rib roast, roasted cauliflower, asparagus and bread for dinner tonight.

Salt, pepper, Dijon, Worcestershire, garlic, horseradish muddled together for the slather.

Added chimichurri to the list. Tweak to the sauce included a quarter bunch of cilantro, just the leaves and half a jalapeƱo.

Last edited:
It was 6 pounds cooked all the way at 275. It took 3 1/4 hours to 128 IT. Rested it for about an hour in a foil pan covered in towels.
Thanks. Iā€™m thinking about 4 hours for mine as I will do the first hour-and-a-half at 180F for a bit of smoke and then finish it at 300F. I also plan to pull at 128F and give it an hour rest.

The protein is headed for the grill right now.

Weā€™re on the grill! Using a foil pan to catch the drippings for a little gravyā€”we hope. Put a CPT probe in each end just for grins; one would have been sufficient, I think. :rolleyes:

View attachment 20652
Who would know if one was sufficient? I love the plan!! šŸ‘

Edit: looks like some good eats
Coming. I need to do another. Seasoning SPOG or other? šŸ§

Now, I know why they call it ā€œPrime Ribā€ and not ā€œChoice Rib!ā€ Unfortunately, todayā€™s cook was a bust; the ā€œPrime Ribā€ was tough as shoe leather. I was unable to find any USDA Prime roasts at my local Costco the other day, so settled for a USDA Choice. I wonā€™t do that again!

Fortunately, it was just my wife and I for dinner tonite and not a big family gathering. We were looking forward to some good roast beef sandwiches tomorrow, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s gonna happen.

It didnā€™t look too bad when I pulled it from the grill at 128F, but I was surprised that it coasted up to 141F; a 13F rise after it came off the grill. Thatā€™s about 5F more than I normally see. Hereā€™s what it looked like; more medium than medium rare.

IMG_2511.jpeg

I should have expected the outcome as the protein didnā€™t have much marbling or fat cap. Oh well, even at my age thereā€™s still time to live and learn. Weā€™ll see what kind of chili it will make. :rolleyes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back