Show us what you're cooking...

Hot garbage. Worst brisket I’ve ever made. 18lb prime(definitely wasn’t) from Costco trimmed to 13. Injected with Butchers bbq prime injection and Texas bark rub.

35 degrees overnight cook. 180 for 4 hours then 225 until probe tender roughly 198 degrees. Wrapped in butcher paper when pulled off the 1250. 15 hours complete cook time, 4 hour hold and rest.

A hot pile of dry mush with no taste. Not even chili worthy in my opinion.

Chocking this one up to a terrible piece of meat.

View attachment 20504

View attachment 20505

View attachment 20506
Not to say it wasn’t a bad piece of protein but it looked like you stated: ”…225 until probe tender roughly 198 degrees. Wrapped in butcher paper…”. If the wrap came before 198, perhaps I didn‘t read it correctly but you typically wrap at 165F to help keep the moisture in while you clear the stall and let it ride until approximately 192-196F. Then pull and place it in an insulated container (as the temp will continue to rise ~10 more degrees). Then it should be ready for serving after a minumum of 2 hours rest. Can you elaborate on when you wrapped and then pulled? Also, if you over inject, the meat tends to boil instead of cook especially with a well marbled prime brisket. This can greatly extend the cook times as the internal temps will be trying to battle between rendering the fat and dehydrating the injected fluids.

In summary, don’t let this get you down. From a financial perspective, you now know what to look at for future cooks and the lessons learned will pay back dividends when you try again. Good (future) luck!

Not to say it wasn’t a bad piece of protein but it looked like you stated: ”…225 until probe tender roughly 198 degrees. Wrapped in butcher paper…”. If the wrap came before 198, perhaps I didn‘t read it correctly but you typically wrap at 165F to help keep the moisture in while you clear the stall and let it ride until approximately 192-196F. Then pull and place it in an insulated container (as the temp will continue to rise ~10 more degrees). Then it should be ready for serving after a minumum of 2 hours rest. Can you elaborate on when you wrapped and then pulled? Also, if you over inject, the meat tends to boil instead of cook especially with a well marbled prime brisket. This can greatly extend the cook times as the internal temps will be trying to battle between rendering the fat and dehydrating the injected fluids.

In summary, don’t let this get you down. From a financial perspective, you now know what to look at for future cooks and the lessons learned will pay back dividends when you try again. Good (future) luck!

I did wrap when I pulled and rested. I never wrap briskets, butts or anything. This is my standard process. Protein I’ve wrapped at the stall just isn’t quite as good to me.

Thinking back on it though I may have used a little more injection than normal but I had a ton of shooters so I did lose quite a bit. I hear you on the injection though, appreciate that.

I typically have about an hour and a half per lb, this brisket was right at and hour and 5 minutes per lb. It cooked very fast comparatively to others in the colder weather I’ve done.

I’m not down lol just pissed and the 10 lbs of dog food I have. My 3 mutts are enjoying it.

I did wrap when I pulled and rested. I never wrap briskets, butts or anything. This is my standard process. Protein I’ve wrapped at the stall just isn’t quite as good to me.

Thinking back on it though I may have used a little more injection than normal but I had a ton of shooters so I did lose quite a bit. I hear you on the injection though, appreciate that.

I typically have about an hour and a half per lb, this brisket was right at and hour and 5 minutes per lb. It cooked very fast comparatively to others in the colder weather I’ve done.

I’m not down lol just pissed and the 10 lbs of dog food I have. My 3 mutts are enjoying it.
Very professional reply and I appreciate the way we are communicating. As you definitely have experience, I suggest you talk to the meat manager at Costco, show the receipt, and tell your story. They are very customer focused and will make you whole on the transaction. As the typical grading method for US beef is by the cow, not by the cut, they may have mis-labeled this package and you shouldn’t have to absorb the cost of their oversight. Good luck and go ”get them dollars back”, haha.

Hot garbage. Worst brisket I’ve ever made. 18lb prime(definitely wasn’t) from Costco trimmed to 13. Injected with Butchers bbq prime injection and Texas bark rub.

35 degrees overnight cook. 180 for 4 hours then 225 until probe tender roughly 198 degrees. Wrapped in butcher paper when pulled off the 1250. 15 hours complete cook time, 4 hour hold and rest.

A hot pile of dry mush with no taste. Not even chili worthy in my opinion.

Chocking this one up to a terrible piece of meat.

View attachment 20504

View attachment 20505

View attachment 20506
Looks like a great opportunity for shredded beef sandwiches!

Pork belly burnt ends. A family favorite.

IMG_6072.jpeg

IMG_6074.jpeg

IMG_6076.jpeg

No problem bud it was at lake joccassee, it’s absolutely beautiful man and made national geographics list of top 50 places on earth to visit! It a 7000 acre lake that is almost all undeveloped and is public hunting land.

Last edited:
I stopped by my local Costco today and they had American Wagyu (a.k.a. Angus-Wagyu) and it was only $6.49/lb. $150 later, it was in my truck headed home. The packaged weight is ~21lbs. Based on the size of the deckle, fat and other non-edibles, I hope to yield about 16lbs of meat for cooking. Looks like my sausages and ground beef are getting an upgrade during the next grind.

I stopped by my local Costco today and they had American Wagyu (a.k.a. Angus-Wagyu) and it was only $6.49/lb. $150 later, it was in my truck headed home. The packaged weight is ~21lbs. Based on the size of the deckle, fat and other non-edibles, I hope to yield about 16lbs of meat for cooking. Looks like my sausages and ground beef are getting an upgrade during the next grind.
What cut? Is this brisket? I have not seen any Angus-Wagyu brisket at my local Costco.

What cut? Is this brisket? I have not seen any Angus-Wagyu brisket at my local Costco.
Yes. It was a full packer Brisket. My local store started carrying prime about a month ago and now the American Wagyu is flowing into the meat market. Their weights ranged from 12lbs to around 21. I went big because the flat is about 3” thick at the very end. I’ve noticed that each year around this time the good stuff is available. The prime was $3.99/lb.

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0069.jpeg

Took a trip to far southwestern Kansas over the weekend to hunt the opening of pheasant season with my son and his buddies. We didn't want to break down a Bullseye for the trip, so we slummed it with a Weber. Grilled up some pheasant/quail stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, whole pheasant breast, and some deer brats. In the Holiday Inn parking lot.:giggle:

IMG_20231111_192427805.jpg

IMG_20231111_200535678.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back