Show us what you're cooking...

Not cooking any meat today, but making some tangy bourbon bbq sauce!
PXL_20230424_201210168.PORTRAIT.jpg

I guess you didn't pick your screen name as a whim.
Ha! Right? Full disclosure though its a handle I used on Xbox Live back in High School. I smoked a tobacco pipe that was cleaned in bourbon. I also like bourbon. I also like smoking meat, so it fits. Not a whim LOL

Can I get the recipe for this sauce?
Absolutely! I picked it up from this website:

https://www.remorselesseatingmachine.com/recipes/tangy-bourbon-bbq-sauce

I suggest using tomato sauce over the crushed tomatoes - I've tried both. As the instructions say this is definitely better after an overnight sit in the fridge and wildly good after it glazes on a BBQ chicken or whatever. I don't add the tamarind. I love hot stuff but the heat carries on this particular recipe so I tone the cayenne and pepper flakes back just a pinch. Experiment and enjoy!

Last edited:
Ha! Right? Full disclosure though its a handle I used on Xbox Live back in High School. I smoked a tobacco pipe that was cleaned in bourbon. I also like bourbon. I also like smoking meat, so it fits. Not a whim LOL

Absolutely! I picked it up from this website:

https://www.remorselesseatingmachine.com/recipes/tangy-bourbon-bbq-sauce

I suggest using tomato sauce over the crushed tomatoes - I've tried both. As the instructions say this is definitely better after an overnight sit in the fridge and wildly good after it glazes on a BBQ chicken or whatever. I don't add the tamarind. I love hot stuff but the heat carries on this particular recipe so I tone the cayenne and pepper flakes back just a pinch. Experiment and enjoy!
Thank you very much! My spice limit is somewhere around Dijon mustard, so I will most likely leave all of the spicy components out completely.

First shot at a cowboy rib eye.
What did you end up doing? I like smoking those for a bit and then searing off at high heat, usually over hardwood charcoal. Looks like a successful cook!

What did you end up doing? I like smoking those for a bit and then searing off at high heat, usually over hardwood charcoal. Looks like a successful cook!
Salt, pepper garlic. cooked at 225. I think it was about four hours, internl temp of 175 then cranked the grill up to 500 and used grill grates.

Did a simple cook on the Napoleon gas grill tonite; chicken thighs.

IMG_2193.jpeg

I thought they turned out pretty good and I got no complaints from the Queen of the Castle or the two Mini Schnauzer “palace guards” (they love chicken and it is the only “people food” they are allowed). Nothing fancy, just seasoned with coarse sea salt, coarse black pepper, granulated garlic and smoked paprika. Pulled them from the grill with an internal temperature of 170-175F and they were nice and juicy.

The best part is that we’ll have some left for tomorrow to make up some chicken sandwiches on fresh ciabatta rolls. (y)

It does look a bit lonely, doesn't it? 🤣 I need to try more sides, like smoked mac-n-cheese or beans, like you suggested. We turned the pulled pork into carnitas and had homemade guacamole, and a rice dish. The key is toasting the tortillas on the gas stove for a moment or two.

It does look a bit lonely, doesn't it? 🤣 I need to try more sides, like smoked mac-n-cheese or beans, like you suggested. We turned the pulled pork into carnitas and had homemade guacamole, and a rice dish. The key is toasting the tortillas on the gas stove for a moment or two.
YES!!! Gotta give em the black marks - and they do that puff thing, that's how you know they're ready to be tacos. I hate when the experts (like Rick Bayless) put out shells to serve their fake guests and don't toast them up first.
If you're really into Mexican food - give the cochinita pibil a try. (post #1602 has links)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew550
Back