Show us what you're cooking...

I love steelhead, and have caught a bunch of them in the rivers of the Pacific Northwest. Sadly, the “farm-raised” ones don’t taste anything like the wild fish. I guess not everyone has the opportunity to catch their own wild steelhead, so farm-raised is the only option. Not trying to rain on your parade, @BNeal; just reflecting on the great steelhead cooks we’ve had over the years with fish fresh from the river. :love:

Tried something different tonite. The new gas grill has an infrared side burner for searing that reaches 1800F. I had no idea what the minimum temperature might be, so I got my infrared thermometer and fired up the side burner. At the 60-second mark, the grill temp exceeded the 1386F capacity of the infrared thermometer.

9DA796FF-2243-4C94-A3AD-F15234EC30BB.jpeg

I turned the side burner down to the minimum setting and after five minutes, the grill temperature was in the 575-600F range.

We enjoy grilled Basque Chorizo sausage. It is quite different from the more widely known Mexican version; milder flavor, no red paprika and less greasy. So, I put four on the side burner at the minimum temperature noted above.

17E5A8EE-3DC2-402D-8DB7-2C221252B3A1.jpeg

They cooked plenty fast even at the minimum grill temperature, so I had to tend them constantly. At 5 minutes in, they were nicely browned and the internal temperature (as measured by my Thermoworks One probe thermometer) was 180F. Since these sausages are fully cooked, that’s a very acceptable IT.

7253FFD9-02EE-409C-8E08-E699346F70D7.jpeg

We treat these sausages like hot dogs, so here’s what we just had for dinner.

EB1B8A79-18B8-4634-BC21-E852898D02C0.jpeg

Using the infrared side burner provided an incredibly quick cook; less than 10 minutes from turning the grill on to pulling the cooked Chorizo off and shutting down the grill.

Thought some folks might be interested in an alternative method of grilling.

Last edited:
Momma is providing the Meat for their Wednesday Lunch Club at Her Bank
She asked if I'd smoke a couple Pork Butts for Her
Butterflied and Seasoned with; Ground Dehydrated Garlic and Onion, along with Course Ground Pepper and Sea Salt
They're wrapped and in the Frig. ready to go on the Bull tonight, for an overnight Lo and Slow:
April 23 Pork Butt 1.JPG

Last edited:
Pulled a couple of pork tenderloins out of the freezer on a whim early this morning and defrosted them in a cool water bath. Threw together a marinade with what I had on hand (balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, white wine, brown sugar, ginger, fresh Thyme and Rosemary, granulated garlic, etc.) and let them soak in it for about three hours. I usually like an 8-hour marination, but didn’t have time.

Seared all sides on the infrared sear station and then put them on the grill at 350F. It took about 30 minutes for them to reach my preferred pull temp of 140F. Pulled and tented for 20 minutes, they coasted up to 145F. Here’s the final result.

FB40F335-DEFC-4672-ABED-B36FD9173187.jpeg

They were quite tasty and there’s plenty left for sammiches tomorrow.

First attempt at a corned beef. Soaked for 4 hours rinsing twice. Injected with beef broth and Meat Church brisket injection. Intense flavor, moist and tender. Chupacabra Brisket rub.

CFBFFFD1-DB2A-4003-9CE0-565508E3E6EF.jpeg

Thanks to working from home, I can have this for dinner by the time the wife comes home. 😊 Soaking the bird in buttermilk overnight helps make it juicy and tender.
View attachment 18935
Oh yeah, that chicken looks great! I hope the crispy skin was as good as it looks. Getting it to crisp up like that takes a bit of effort. Nicely done!

Oh yeah, that chicken looks great! I hope the crispy skin was as good as it looks. Getting it to crisp up like that takes a bit of effort. Nicely done!
Thanks for the compliment however sometimes looks can be deceiving. The skin was marginally crispy. I did crank up the temp to 375 to finish but just not as crispy as we'd like. Maybe too heavy a layer of seasoning was the culprit? I even basted with butter throughout. It was smoked at 225 until the IT hit 140. In the past, I've finished it on the gasser with good results but didn't do that this time around. Next up, pork tenderloins on Easter.

i forgot to get the classic sliced smoke ring picture but i made a 16lb prime brisket fir easter. smoked it at 180 with a smoke tube for about 10hrs then wrapped and finished it off at 250 to have it done for lunch. it turned out fantastic!View attachment 18966View attachment 18967
Good thing you didn’t have a photo of it sliced; it was hard enough looking at the whole, cooked brisket without drooling. Niiiiiicccccce!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back